Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i understand the bigger watt the better but since i posted on here i was informed that was a big myth the rails aree what matters so if you brains can help me with summthing what would be good rateings on the rails and why or could you give me a link to a site that can explane it for me i have been googleing for hours on this and ram timings i still dont understand why the better ram is not good for overclocking have never overclokced a sys but will be doing it next month on a sys thats like

e6300
asus p5b
thinking of going with the buffolow firestix memory that was suggsted for me here on this site
and the 8800 gts

i relly relly want to oc but i would like to understand why i am buying these components other than they were the ones i was told would be best so that i am not just doing what someone says to get what i want i would like to fully understand it for this and future builds i know you guys get tired of posts like this i have read the FAQS and i must be dumb cuz i dont get any of that i do know my way around a pc very well but dont understand oc the way i would like to

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i understand that but i would like to find out what the amps on the rails should be i have 2 PS here and they told me neather is any good cuz of thoses so what do i need to look for

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootis
View Post

ok i understand the bigger watt the better but since i posted on here i was informed that was a big myth the rails aree what matters so if you brains can help me with summthing what would be good rateings on the rails and why or could you give me a link to a site that can explane it for me i have been googleing for hours on this and ram timings i still dont understand why the better ram is not good for overclocking have never overclokced a sys but will be doing it next month on a sys thats like

e6300
asus p5b
thinking of going with the buffolow firestix memory that was suggsted for me here on this site
and the 8800 gts

i relly relly want to oc but i would like to understand why i am buying these components other than they were the ones i was told would be best so that i am not just doing what someone says to get what i want i would like to fully understand it for this and future builds i know you guys get tired of posts like this i have read the FAQS and i must be dumb cuz i dont get any of that i do know my way around a pc very well but dont understand oc the way i would like to

The parts were recommended because they are known to run well beyond their rated specs. They are all top quality parts.

The amperage on a psu is more important than watts because the amps tells you how much power is available from the unit. You can get a 600 watt psu with 16 amps on the 12v rail....or one with 60 amps on the same line. The more amps available the more stable it will be and you can run more with it like SLI and extra hard drives and stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i understand that but i would like to find out what the amps on the rails should be i have 2 PS here and they told me neather is any good cuz of thoses so what do i need to look for

Try making your posts more legible so we can help you out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so i understand that the 12v rail the higher the Amp the better it is.
does this also apply to the multi 12v rail?
and lastly the 12v- amp is .08 ok for this is this also higher the better? and thank you for the links will be reading them both tonight.
and apologizes for my spelling and such have never been good at writing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK that link to the PS guide ROCKED thank you.
I got the PS thing down now lets move to ram if you guys don't mind.
Now the ram needs to be higher Mhz then what the board needs?
Lower CAS is better has to be low density and 4 x 512mb is better than 2 x 1gb?
Am i even close?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my PS is good its 3.3 40A, 5v 50A, 12v 36A, -12v 1A, -5v 1A, +5vsb 2A.
So that PS should run my new system just fine right?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Quote:

View Post

OK that link to the PS guide ROCKED thank you.
I got the PS thing down now lets move to ram if you guys don't mind.
Now the ram needs to be higher Mhz then what the board needs?
Lower CAS is better has to be low density and 4 x 512mb is better than 2 x 1gb?
Am i even close?

2x1gb is better.

yes, lower timings are better...and higher Mhz is better...

Having it faster than the board, means that you can overclock the board, without the memory struggling..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok the p5b says (Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets)

NOW does that mean i can use ram with voltage of 2.2-2.3?
And my PS is ok for this build right?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can y'all explain the voltages on memory please? am a little lost here if Motherboard says 1.8v can i get something that uses the 2.2-2.3 or no?

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I am not sure about the P5B, but on most motherboards you can use higher voltage RAM, but to be completely stable you have to change the voltage to the RAM's recommended. I have no idea about the mobo that require JEDEC, but it looks like you have to get JEDEC certifired RAM...

-JoeUbi

P.S. I could be completely wrong...

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
You can use higher voltage RAM. It's just that you might need to set the voltage manually, since at first boot it'll likely set it at 1.8V or so with some weird timings.

I have Crucial DDR2 1000 rated at 2.2V in an P5B (not -E nor -Deluxe, just plain P5B). It booted correctly, and I could set the voltage of the RAM in the BIOS. However, unfortunately, the board does not support more than 2.1V, so overclocking is limited with this RAM. I will get new RAM for that rig soon...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts