7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Had it in the wrong section so deleted old thread and made a new one here]

Looking to condense/upgrade my audio set up for my PC. Have the following:

Asus Xonar DG
Micca MB42X
Lepy 2024S Amp
ATH M40fs

My motherboard has an optical audio out that I would like to use and skip the Xonar DG. Was thinking of using that and going to a DAC/AMP/Headphone Amp combo. Speakers can handle up to 75 watts each and right now my amp pumps out 25w RMS per channel and I'm getting some clipping when I turn it up too much.

Pretty much looking for a DAC/AMP combo with an optical audio in that can push 50 watts per channel (only need 2) and also has a headphone out for my ATH-M40fs. Something along the Creative Sound Blaster X7 but was hoping to see what other options there are out there. Ideally cheaper (around $150 max).

The other option would be to get a DAC/Headphone Amp as well as a 2 x 50 watt amp but that means taking up twice the amount of space on my desk which i was trying to avoid. If I am forced to go that route then I was looking at the following:
FX Audio DAC X-6
SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492

If there are any other options for the above two for around the same price then please let me know.

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone in the future that may be looking for something similar the SMSL AD18 checks all the boxes and then some. Has SPDIF input, USB, and even Bluetooth input among a few others. The other thing I really like is that I can switch between speaker and headphone output simply by using the remote and I don't have to be unplugging anything. It also happens to have a subwoofer output so I splurged and bought a Polk PSW10 10" powered woofer. It definitely isn't the greatest but should definitely help my current set up.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
For anyone in the future that may be looking for something similar the SMSL AD18 checks all the boxes and then some. Has SPDIF input, USB, and even Bluetooth input among a few others. The other thing I really like is that I can switch between speaker and headphone output simply by using the remote and I don't have to be unplugging anything. It also happens to have a subwoofer output so I splurged and bought a Polk PSW10 10" powered woofer. It definitely isn't the greatest but should definitely help my current set up.
that's a very nice looking piece of kit!

As someone who still has an X-Fi titanium though is considering an amp or dac/amp, how do handle the microphone? I'm guessing getting a usb mic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts