Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sure sounds interesting. The reign of AUO M270 IPS is about to end this year? Maybe even with better QC?

For gaming there are some exciting developments as well for high refresh rate IPS panels. The 31.5" LM315WQ1 is expected to go in to production in December 2018 and will offer a 2560 x 1440 resolution with 165Hz refresh rate. This panel also offers a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness and 98% DCi-P3 gamut thanks to the Nano IPS panel.

In the 27" space is the forthcoming LM270WQA panel, with a 2560 x 1440 resolution and 165Hz refresh rate. This also offers a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness, sRGB gamut. It's not expected to go in to production until December 2018.

There is also talk from LG.Display about improvements in their IPS response times, reportedly trying to improve on the current 5ms G2G, pushing down down to 1ms G2G with higher levels of overdrive. It remains to be seen how successful this is in practice, and how much overshoot gets introduced but an investment in driving response times to accommodate higher refresh rates properly is certainly welcome.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/39.htm#panels_lgdisplay

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't get why there are still no efforts to implement A-TW polarizer to strongly reduce IPS glow. They could even give it a new fancy marketing term. It's like they've given up on this, is it so expensive or what?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I don't get why there are still no efforts to implement A-TW polarizer to strongly reduce IPS glow. They could even give it a new fancy marketing term. It's like they've given up on this, is it so expensive or what?
Pretty sure it has a way of affecting how the colors appear on the display, read it somewhere recently, and so they stopped applying it to monitors as people that bought the monitors for color critical work wouldn't be getting the right colors.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Pretty sure it has a way of affecting how the colors appear on the display, read it somewhere recently, and so they stopped applying it to monitors as people that bought the monitors for color critical work wouldn't be getting the right colors.
Yep.

From this FAQ:
Q: What is an A-TW (Advanced True White) polarizer? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

A: The A-TW filter is an additional film that is applied to some LCD panels with the aim of improving off-axis viewing of the display by reducing the "glow" effect that can be seen when viewing very dark images at extreme angles on S-IPS LCD panels. While it does reduce the glow effect, it can also introduce a slight coloration artifact that causes the glow to appear green when viewed from one angle, and magenta from another.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
These monitors aren't even marketed as displays for color work so they should just add it. And besides you know what else isn't good for color critical work? Piss poor uniformity that results in one side of your monitor being too warm and the other being too cool. You can throw color accuracy out the window if you have such large deviation in uniformity. Let's hope LG does better in that regard.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am at a loss as to which monitor to buy for gaming

AW3418DW seems like a logical choice, but its difficult to get here in europe (with german amazon only offering it on preorder, not having it in stock yet) and kinda expensive

LG ultrawides all have some kind of a serious defect + refresh rates above 60Hz only work with an AMD GPU+Freesync
samsung ultrawide (CF791?) has even more defects

dell ultrawides dont have gsync or high refresh rate support

as it currently stands LG 32GK850G seems to be the best choice - with its lower price/gsync/165Hz and decent picture quality (if you get lucky and get one without serious defects)

what to do if you live in europe and dont want to spend over 1100€ on high refresh rate/high res >30" monitor?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am at a loss as to which monitor to buy for gaming

AW3418DW seems like a logical choice, but its difficult to get here in europe (with german amazon only offering it on preorder, not having it in stock yet) and kinda expensive

LG ultrawides all have some kind of a serious defect + refresh rates above 60Hz only work with an AMD GPU+Freesync
samsung ultrawide (CF791?) has even more defects

dell ultrawides dont have gsync or high refresh rate support

as it currently stands LG 32GK850G seems to be the best choice - with its lower price/gsync/165Hz and decent picture quality (if you get lucky and get one without serious defects)

what to do if you live in europe and dont want to spend over 1100€ on high refresh rate/high res >30" monitor?
I just bought and received AW3418DW on 17th May in Czech republic and I am happy with it, have no issues except small backlight bleed in left and right bottom corners which is not that bad. It has no yellow tint on right side and no uniformity issues which were two things I was a bit afraid of.

As far as I can see you can still get it from Amazon, though not directly but from other sellers and info from last week was that more should be available around end May, beginning of June.

Try more google as at least in Germany I can find a lot of shops having it in stock:
https://www.billiger.de/products/12...186789&mc=C4XVWmmkCIQE&log=ABS-v7-blg-1-av001

1 - 8 of 8 Posts