1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

· 50 Cans of Ravioli
36,857 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Dantrax

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Slightly cheaper on Amazon (beat by the Pook).

Too bad brightness levels are so low...

· Registered
ASUS ROG Helios
19 Posts
I am rocking the 38in ultrawide from Alienware.....Waiting to see the LG Ultrawide OLED 45" before making a change.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather pick it up and not deal with potential shipping damage and/or delays. It would be a different story if it were a $300 difference.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Have you owned a LG TV?

· Registered
871 Posts

They're not low.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
They're not low.
RTINGS brightness measurements on the LG OLED Monitors are not great. HDR levels are ok but I need a little more brightness personally. I just can't justify even 800 for a monitor that's not quite perfect... :(

But the newer QD OLEDs are peaking my interest a lot... :D

· Registered
871 Posts
RTINGS brightness measurements on the LG OLED Monitors are not great. HDR levels are ok but I need a little more brightness personally. I just can't justify even 800 for a monitor that's not quite perfect... :(

But the newer QD OLEDs are peaking my interest a lot... :D
The lower brightness is balanced out by the contrast. Also, as someone who uses a C1 as a PC monitor, HDR is often TOO bright. Also, good luck finding a monitor that costs twice as much that's even 1/4 as good.

There's a reason you don't see any OLED owners anywhere complaining about them. Completely different league from LCD, even if they don't get as bright.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought so that's why I asked. If you've never used an LG OLED device then you don't know about it. I have an LG OLED TV and have used Plasma TVs, LED TVs and LCD monitors and there's no comparison to LG OLED and that is based on my use and experience and not what I've read or heard. When you make such statements as you did you need to qualify your statement (in this case it's based on never using the device) so someone reading your comment can either believe you or take your statement with a grain of salt. LG OLED, as stated by the poster above, is in a league by itself. You should make statements based on facts and not parrot what you hear. If you can't justify the cost that is your own personal decision and that is ok.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
The lower brightness is balanced out by the contrast. Also, as someone who uses a C1 as a PC monitor, HDR is often TOO bright. Also, good luck finding a monitor that costs twice as much that's even 1/4 as good.

There's a reason you don't see any OLED owners anywhere complaining about them. Completely different league from LCD, even if they don't get as bright.
Its subjective. I like OLED but I don't $800 like it until they can get a bit brighter. It was hard to make out detail in darker scenes. I'll wait for QD OLED to mature (and get a bit cheaper).

I thought so that's why I asked. If you've never used an LG OLED device then you don't know about it. I have an LG OLED TV and have used Plasma TVs, LED TVs and LCD monitors and there's no comparison to LG OLED and that is based on my use and experience and not what I've read or heard. When you make such statements as you did you need to qualify your statement (in this case it's based on never using the device) so someone reading your comment can either believe you or take your statement with a grain of salt. LG OLED, as stated by the poster above, is in a league by itself. You should make statements based on facts and not parrot what you hear. If you can't justify the cost that is your own personal decision and that is ok.
You asked if I've owned an LG TV. I've seen Dell's QD OLED and liked it a lot but I dont think it would do well in my office. I have a lot of natural light and need a bright monitor.

· Registered
871 Posts
Its subjective. I like OLED but I don't $800 like it until they can get a bit brighter. It was hard to make out detail in darker scenes. I'll wait for QD OLED to mature (and get a bit cheaper).
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with brightness. That is purely a settings issue. Dark scenes are actually easier to make out on an OLED when viewing in a dark room because they aren't being washed out by a backlight. You can easily raise the black floor using the "brightness" setting and solve that on an OLED.

I have a lot of natural light and need a bright monitor.
You're wasting money trying to buy something quality if you're just going to ruin it with bright room lighting. OLED would be wasted on you regardless of how bright it got.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with brightness. That is purely a settings issue. Dark scenes are actually easier to make out on an OLED when viewing in a dark room because they aren't being washed out by a backlight. You can easily raise the black floor using the "brightness" setting and solve that on an OLED.

You're wasting money trying to buy something quality if you're just going to ruin it with bright room lighting. OLED would be wasted on you regardless of how bright it got.
Ok. Come remodel my house.

· PC Evangelist
48,818 Posts
1000 nits is required for good HDR. If you want HDR you want at very minimum to get those panels with heatsink. Also you want to get a TV and not a PC Monitor because you are missing out on Dolby Vision. I personally use LZ2000 which does 1000 nits, Had C7 was was ~ 730 nits which was still quite good. Had a bunch of 2021/22 48" OLED Monitors from various brands and all had crap HDR 400-500 nits. Also a brighter OLED like the one coming out this year are better for PC monitor due to aggressive ABL.

· Registered
887 Posts
I've had a 48" LG CX OLED now for 2.5 years as a dedicated PC Monitor.
You absolutely do not need 1000 nits for HDR, the way the contrast ratio is on the OLED it's already a massive difference vs a LCD or that fake QLED.

· Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,861 Posts
I have the LG C1. 48". I use it for gaming. Best HDR I have ever seen. And I have used and seen much brighter monitors. Something about OLED that makes it pop. I dont think I could ever go back to LCD monitors or TV's. Though Mini LED's are close.

· Registered
3700x, 4x8GB 3200C16, x570 Aorus, RTX2070S, LG C1 | 3770k, 4x8GB 2400C12, z77-UD3H, GTX1070, VG248QE
1,277 Posts
OLED is different from usual LED expectations, the contrast tending to inf. helps a lot in not needing excessive brightness to produces a quality image.

LG does have a common issue with black crush which can be resolved via 1-15% range being raised a little, if you get it calibrated this isn't an issue.

As for the OP, generally the equivalent TV is a better option for value if at the same price, the only factor is if you absolutely need DisplayPort.

Also 1000+nit minimums being recommended is akin to asking for output as bright as a light bulb, it's really not necessary if the screen is your primary focus. Yes HDR highlights can be brighter but this should ideally be scaled to the device's range.

Please for brightly lit rooms it is far easier to reduce light noise than it is to get a device that can 'outshine' anything else without burning retinas. Turn off other lights, close curtains if you can. You aren't going to get a good picture regardless if the sun is beaming lumens in the 10,000's in/directly.

• Rep+

· Registered
2,411 Posts
I have the 48" C2. Go check out the qd-oled's in person, with the store demo off. Colour reproduction is crap. The blooming is pretty annoying too. I think that hdtv guy did a piece on it. Brightness is great, but not when it is sacrificing accuracy.

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 21 Posts