Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LG G5 phone and I'd like to be able to show my mom pics and streaming video off of bitchute on her big screen 1080p TV. The TV only has DVI-D and component input though and I've been using a HDMI to component output to convert the cable TV HDMI input. Is it possible to get a USB-C to HDMI or a USB-C to component converter so that I can show her pics and streaming video off of bitchute?

· Robotic Chemist
4,476 Posts
DVI-D is actually electrically compatible with the signals Display Port uses. Since USB-C adopted display port for video out you are in luck. A cheap passive cable should work great.
"USB-C DVI cable"
Technology Rectangle Circuit component Cable Font

· Banned
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Asmodian. This is great because that way I don't have to disconnect her cable TV to connect the phone, which is a pain because of where it's located. Do I have to configure the phone in anyway to output the video over USB-C? To tell the truth I wasn't sure if it could do it because the phone didn't come with a manual.

· Robotic Chemist
4,476 Posts
I don't on my Samsung S10+, but I don't know about the G5. Hopefully is has a prompt, notification, or something when you plug the USB-C in. :unsure:

Redidit seems to think you simply plug it in, no issues... er... except there is no sound over DVI. Can you use the headphone jack? :(

The G5 does not support MHL, but it does support 'slimport' so make sure any adapters support that.

· Banned
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Asmodian I did find a connected devices --> screen sharing function in the settings menu to "share screen and sound with TV" which presumably only does something when you have a TV connected via USB-C I guess. But how does the phone know what resolution and refresh rate the TV supports? Especially if its using a USB-C to DVD-D adapter?

· Robotic Chemist
4,476 Posts
It probably just sends 1080p60 or something like that. EDID works with DVI as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.