Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
LG reader Tweet wrote id Software's John Carmack about the status of Linux ports for the first-person shooter developer's upcoming titles (minus QuakeLive, which has a Linux port in active development already):

Wolfenstein is pretty unlikely, since it was developed at Raven, and published by Activision. There are no firm plans for linux ports of the idTech 5 titles, but it certainly isn't off the table. I don't think it will be very difficult to get them running on the binary nvidia drivers, but bringing them up to functionality and acceptable performance on other OpenGL drivers would probably be a more significant undertaking than we could afford.

idTech 5 is id Software's next engine, being used for Rage and the as-of-yet untitled DOOM sequel.
http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14005

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Ugh...this is why I hate DirectX...it just further locks us into Microsoft's world.

This is even more unfortunate, especially since ID has traditionally been very Linux-friendly.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spxprovost
View Post

no offense but isnt opengl horrible?

No, it just doesn't have as many "shortcuts" for game developers, which could be solved by game engines anyway...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Opengl is not trouble but the way companies make it seem when they talk about it. Personally, I don't see whats so hard about creating a game engine with modular support allowing you to add in different rendering engines if needed.

I know game developers have deadlines but it can't really take that much time. Anyway ID tends to support linux, so I assume he'll probably consider it very much, hopefully...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

Ugh...this is why I hate DirectX...it just further locks us into Microsoft's world.

This is even more unfortunate, especially since ID has traditionally been very Linux-friendly.

It has nothing to do with DirectX as the rendering engine is OpenGL based, and the game runs on the PS3 which lacks DirectX to begin with...

It's just that there is too small of a market under linux, and that won't change anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

Yea I hate to see one of the last good Linux friendly developers go to the dark side. Quake Live will be awesome when its out for Linux.

Direct X is proprietary shenanigans.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

I don't think it will be very difficult to get them running on the binary nvidia drivers, but bringing them up to functionality and acceptable performance on other OpenGL drivers would probably be a more significant undertaking than we could afford.

So do it. Besides Nvidia there's what? ATI, who really needs to step up to the plate and make their Linux drivers better (they've gotten much better recently, but not as good as Nvidia) and Intel, which most likely won't be up to running said games anyway. (yes I realize there's also SiS, but that's not very many people at all.)

I say go ahead and do it, it'd be a good way to make ATI see that they need to get more active with Linux. Personally Linux is why I sold my HD4850 and "downgraded" to a 9800GT.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spxprovost View Post
no offense but isnt opengl horrible?

Basically, yes. It was fine (and for a while was superior to DX) until SGI stopped caring, and then it just couldn't "keep up" with DirectX due to disagreements between open source developers, as far as I know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
First off, DarkCloud is partial right, there was some disagreements and sometimes still is on what makes it to a major opengl release. Aside from that, although Nvidia has better drivers at the moment, ati did opensource there linux drivers and shared all information on there two latest video card specs and no I don't mean specs as in memory and core speed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts