Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the LGA sockets any good for the pentium4's or should i go with a 478 socket?

thanks for the input

and by the way i am looking for a good server cpu for a media server and kinda gaming

but i dont want a opteron or xeon

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If you're going to LGA775 you'll need to buy a new CPU, new Mobo, New RAM, and a new Graphics card since Intel thinks they control the world. I'd go with an 875/865 Socket478 board

·
Registered
698 Posts
seconded. Before I built my athlon64 system I was seriously looking at a 478 system and they have a lotta life left in em

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You don't have to go spend a fortune on new hardware that's slower ([email protected] memory) and hard to find (PCIe Graphics cards) Plus, the 915 chips sucks, 875 is still the fastest chipset Intel ever made. Intel uses DDR2 because the JDEC spec ends at 400MHz and they're just readying themselves for their new 1066FSB to be relased to the mainstream in a bout a year

·
Registered
39 Posts
you could buy a mobo that has lga but the older chipset(abit and dfi have them) it uses the new lga cpu but uses ddr and agp. better way to in my opinion. cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
LGA775 Prescotts are running cooler and clocking higher than s478 Prescotts on average. Power regulation is also substantially more efficient on LGA775 with the Prescotts than is s478. Like these guys said, there's 865 chipset and DFI's 875 chipset LGA775 boards currently available. At this point, if you want to stick to Northwood, then go s478, but if you want to go with Prescott, go LGA775.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Also i think the new lga is a great idea because your pins are on the mobo which the mobo generaly is about one third the cost of the cpu ...
someone is running with a broken pin forgot who though?
also im not positive but i think that all the lga775 motherboards require 24pin molex so you will need a new powersuply too.

hope i helped you out....
if you can afford the 775 with a new psu go for it i know my 478 prescott runs hotter than my northwood.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

also im not positive but i think that all the lga775 motherboards require 24pin molex so you will need a new powersuply too.

AFAIK, the (9xx chipset) LGA-775 motherboards that have the PCI-X16 video card slot require the 24pin ATX connector, you can buy a 20pin to 24pin adaptor for the older PSU's. Some of the (865 chipset) LGA775 boards w/AGP still have the 20pin ATX. Other LGA-775 (865/875 chipset) w/AGP boards can take either the 20pin or the 24pin ATX. I still think that you will benifit using the 24pin's extra power.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You only need the full 24 pins if you're going to be using the PCI-E x16 slot. The additional 4 pins powers that and that alone. Of course, why would you go next gen if you're not going to be using the PCI-E x16, but the board will operate perfectly fine with only a 20-pin ATX PSU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts