Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin to grab a lga775 board but is it me or are there no agp slots on them i just ordered the 6800ultra vid card and if theres no agp slot that kinda screws up my new system build..some info plz...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know its the best mobo but i need to know are there any agp slots or am i screwed since i got the 6800ultra.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrbsti

i know its the best mobo but i need to know are there any agp slots or am i screwed since i got the 6800ultra.

Very nice board. You won't be dissapointed. I'm currently at 4.4ghz with it using a 3.4ghz prescott.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool so it has an agp slot because when im shopping for it lists all the pci slots types but it mentions nothing of agp so i thought it was eliminated. xms your used only h20 what are your temps my current comp idles a 0C im using wc/pelt setup dominator block so how high do you think ill be able to overclock it because i am thinking whether i should get 533mhz ram or go with 667 mhz

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

ok cool so it has an agp slot because when im shopping for it lists all the pci slots types but it mentions nothing of agp so i thought it was eliminated. xms your used only h20 what are your temps my current comp idles a 0C im using wc/pelt setup dominator block so how high do you think ill be able to overclock it because i am thinking whether i should get 533mhz ram or go with 667 mhz

My idle is 25-30oc and load is 40oc with just plain old water. The board does have agp/pci.

When you talk about ram it sopunds like you are talking about DDR2? The board only takes normal DDR.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wait only normal ddr ok thats cool but where are these lga 775 boards with the ddr2 who uses it.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

wait only normal ddr ok thats cool but where are these lga 775 boards with the ddr2 who uses it.

You won't get an LGA775 motherboard that has AGP and DDR2. DDR2 comes with the new intel chipsets that have PCI-E.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

it says on the asus site that it does support ddr2 take a look see if im wrong.

Asus? I thought we was talking about the DFI board?!?!? What board are you looking at?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Ok, the DFI that XMS and others are recommending uses the old chipset (875 if i'm correct) so it is not compatible with PCI-e or DDR2. Asus use the new chipsets (915 & 925) so it has all the newer features and compatibilities. I like the new stuff becuase i know i can upgrade when i need to where as with AGP and normal DDR, well AGP will be gone in a year (so you'll have to use a AGP - PCI-e adpater) and with DDR then that will hang around a little longer becuase AMD still uses the stuff. The new chipsets are better but it depends on what you really want. I went for the P5AD2 simply becuase i like aus and they make good boards (no deniying that).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i want that same board ur using sloth so that means no agp for me. xms i wanted to use the p5ad2-e premium. but from what im hearing i cant get a 925x chipset with an agp slot. if thats true that sucks lol.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

i want that same board ur using sloth so that means no agp for me. xms i wanted to use the p5ad2-e premium. but from what im hearing i cant get a 925x chipset with an agp slot. if thats true that sucks lol.

Have a read of this:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2074

There have been boards with the 915/925 chipset and AGP, but they suck because the agp goes thru the southbridge (i think), which meas a massive decrease in performance.

To be honest i dont know why you want a board with the 9x chipset - DDR2 is currently no faster than DDR, PCI-E is curently no faster than AGP.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm i understand what ur sayin reason im iinterested is becuz the keyword "currently" sooner or later its gonna be kik ass so im building a 2nd rig and wanted to take advantage of all this new stuff lga, 925x, ddr2, pci-e.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

hmm i understand what ur sayin reason im iinterested is becuz the keyword "currently" sooner or later its gonna be kik ass so im building a 2nd rig and wanted to take advantage of all this new stuff lga, 925x, ddr2, pci-e.

The way i see it, by the time things start to change and take advantage of PCI-E/DDR2, i would probably have needed to buy a new motherboard for some reason or another, so whats the point.

With computers, things change so drastically and regulary that there is no point in planning for the future.

If you want to get a new computer now, get the one that fits best with your current components (6800 Ultra AGP.....).

My 2pence.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
XMS is right. There are 915 Chipsets that have AGP and support DDR2, but the AGP is shoddy at best. I would only suggest that you use it with a GeForce 5700, Radeon 9600 or lower. The 6800 Ultra will bottleneck big time when being forced to use the AGP through the Southbridge. I suggest that you hold off on DDR2/PCI-e, especially if you already have an AGP 6800 Ultra. There is no performance gain from DDR2 or PCI-e yet. It will happen soon enough, but the 925x chipset will need updatng before it could handle better DDR2. And by that time, DDR3 might even be an option. Get the LanParty 875P-T, some good PC-4400 and OC the hell out of the Prescott.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

The way i see it, by the time things start to change and take advantage of PCI-E/DDR2, i would probably have needed to buy a new motherboard for some reason or another, so whats the point.

With computers, things change so drastically and regulary that there is no point in planning for the future.

If you want to get a new computer now, get the one that fits best with your current components (6800 Ultra AGP.....).

My 2pence.

I couldn't have put it better my self. Bravo mate.

Just pick up the DFI 875P-T, you wont be disappointed.

• Rep+
Reactions: wrbsti

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Have a read of this:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2074

There have been boards with the 915/925 chipset and AGP, but they suck because the agp goes thru the southbridge (i think), which meas a massive decrease in performance.

To be honest i dont know why you want a board with the 9x chipset - DDR2 is currently no faster than DDR, PCI-E is curently no faster than AGP.....

I'm not sure if you have read the latest MaximumPC magazine but according to it, the new dual core processors may be able to run in the 925, and they are suppose to be 925 socket. But I would agree with him get the DFI or even better yet, wait to upgrade keep the money ideling around and get a new kickass computer when the new dual procs come out. Like me I'm going Opteron dual core

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thx alot i guess perhaps ill listen to you guys lol
dfi lan party im guessing its a powrful excellent quality board even better than my asus p4c800-e?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts