Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My custom powder coated LGA1366 bracket has a 45 mm x 45 mm square hole, so any AM4 bracket with a 45mm squared hole would work correct? Or would several other factors need to be considered, such as screw+spring depth and block placement over the die. Or could I find a current AM4 bracket with a block that uses a 45mm square hole and then use that bracket on my block? Such as the Supremacy EVO bracket.

I am trying to keep my current pure copper block in service, imaged below. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I don't think the same hardware would work. The thumbscrews are designed to screw into the back plate that came with it. You'd probably need a new backplate or use the existing am4 backplate. If you use the am4 backplate, you'd need new screws. Then it just comes down to tightening it to what feels comfortable. I rigged up an old swiftech block with an am3 bracket a long time ago. It was on an open bench and I didn't care about looks, but it got the job done.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, now your my kind of enthusiast. Someone who knows how to adapt and mod, which is how I have been since the 1980's.

I can cut and mod anything, but I would like to get as close as possible so that the modding is not tougher than it needs to be. I see MANY brackets online that come complete with backplate and hardware. My block kept my overclocked Xeon in the upper 20c's, so I see no reason to spend money on a new block. Id rather spend money on my ability to work the problem and solve it myself.

The below bracket looks like it has a hole slightly smaller than I need, thus I could work it until it is exact 45mm by 45mm, and adjust, fit, and paint as needed. My thinking is removing material to make a bigger hole would be easier than me trying to glue aditional material onto a bracket.

I could also take a try and modding an Apogee HD bracket and then getting the AM4 adapter, that way I dont have to worry about the screws thread pitch etc.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike, looking at your picture that was my plan for a year now, to simply take a AM4 bracket and put it over my 1366 bracket. That should work just fine actually.

My brother has a 3D printer but Im not sure how good it is or if I can learn to use it in a few hours that I would go visit him. The drive is long too.

Options options... Thanks again

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The height of the socket is also a big concern, particularly because you'ce got the AMD/Intel situation and they use very different mounts. Even a tiny difference in socket height can significantly change the pressure applied to the heatsink.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The height of the socket is also a big concern, particularly because you'ce got the AMD/Intel situation and they use very different mounts. Even a tiny difference in socket height can significantly change the pressure applied to the heatsink.
Thanks and duly noted. I am concerned about pressure too, but pressure is something you can feel and sense as your developing your own setup. What I am mostly worried about is adding too much pressure as I have a tendency to over tighten things sometimes, so I will have to be extra careful here. Thankfully after 31 years as a computer tech I am confident enough to not break it, lol. Knock on wood...

I just spoke with EK and they told me their AM4 Supremacy EVO bracket has a hole diameter of 48.5 mm x 48.5 mm. That is really close but in the wrong direction. However with only 3.5mm or less to fill in it might be an option, and if anything it may just sit "on top" of my the current bracket I have now. Hmm

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, I want to use my current LGA1366 block to cool my new Ryzen 5 2600X. My block has a hold down area that is a square of 45 mm x 45 mm, thus my current 1366 bracket (the one I used on my old X5650 Xeon) has an inside diameter hole of 45 x 45 mm. Trying not to spend money on a water block when I already have a fantastic water block.

I know I can use a current new AM4 bracket and backplate and just set it over the top of my current bracket, but I am looking for new innovative ideas from pro modders. But I will probably just glue a new AM4 bracket over the top of my current bracket to solve the issue.

I know there is the perfect AM4 bracket already made for this somewhere, but its finding it that is my problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts