Overclock.net banner

-=LGA775 Club=-

119747 2118
LGA 775 Club
For those of us that still believe in the power of the little guy!!
processors.jpg

Processors list:
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium Dual-Core
Intel Celeron
Intel Celeron D
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core 2 Extreme
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Xeon

Click this link here for membership signup!

doh.gif
IF YOU WERE ON THE LIST BUT NOW ARE NOT THIS IS DUE TO BROKEN VALIDATION LINK OR NO VALIDATION AT ALL.
doh.gif

thumb.gif
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REJOIN WITH A VALIDATION. THANK YOU.
thumb.gif

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArllLNTM0elEdFM2clRQY3R1MGU3Mjc2bFItcWtsUkE&output=html&widget=trueLGA775 Club Members
Sig Code Below!
We will not Die!! The Socket 775 Club. Still Beastly!!
yessir.gif
We will not Die!! The Socket 775 Club. Still Beastly!!
yessir.gif
  • Rep+
Reactions: ocman and Sethy666
1961 - 1980 of 2119 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
X38 chipset unfortunately doesn't do LGA771 swaps.

Looking around the only Dell I can find that will do what you want is the Precision 390 workstation. 2 different MB versions. All 1066fsb 65nm only. One supports only 2 core CPUs, the later one 4 core up to at least QX6700. An X6800 should OC on those and they do have Win2000 drivers. Some of the Pentium D Xeons were 130W so VRM should be OK for any 2 core. Being a Mid Tower it has room for a 2 slot GPU and a couple extra PCIe slots also. There's one running an X6800 at userbenchmark and that's about all it takes for a Throttlestop overclock. IDK for sure if TS can run on an OS that old though? 2.93Ghz 8GB DDR2 800 for sure though. I looked at some old Supermicro workstation boards but single CPU versions look like just XP drivers. Supermicro was ATX though so maybe you can find something. I've had an X6800 to 3.73 Ghz on an optiplex 745. Someone else reported 4GHz, They're all B3 stepping.
Even though Win2K only supports 4GB RAM I would run 6GB so a 2GB GPU can set up some cache. This worked for me with a GTX750 and Win XP 32 bit.
Online prices are ridiculous for Precision390 stuff. You can probably pull one out of a scrap pile locally.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
X38 chipset unfortunately doesn't do LGA771 swaps.

Looking around the only Dell I can find that will do what you want is the Precision 390 workstation. 2 different MB versions. All 1066fsb 65nm only. One supports only 2 core CPUs, the later one 4 core up to at least QX6700. An X6800 should OC on those and they do have Win2000 drivers. Some of the Pentium D Xeons were 130W so VRM should be OK for any 2 core. Being a Mid Tower it has room for a 2 slot GPU and a couple extra PCIe slots also. There's one running an X6800 at userbenchmark and that's about all it takes for a Throttlestop overclock. IDK for sure if TS can run on an OS that old though? 2.93Ghz 8GB DDR2 800 for sure though. I looked at some old Supermicro workstation boards but single CPU versions look like just XP drivers. Supermicro was ATX though so maybe you can find something. I've had an X6800 to 3.73 Ghz on an optiplex 745. Someone else reported 4GHz, They're all B3 stepping.
Even though Win2K only supports 4GB RAM I would run 6GB so a 2GB GPU can set up some cache. This worked for me with a GTX750 and Win XP 32 bit.
Online prices are ridiculous for Precision390 stuff. You can probably pull one out of a scrap pile locally.
65nm Duo or Quad isn’t bad, i think the 775 (and one 771 at the end) cpu’s I have laying around are as follows: Pentium 4 630 (Prescott dunno where its at), Pentium 4 631 (Cedar Mill, killed in delidding attempt), Core 2 Duo E6320 (Conroe), Core 2 Duo E6700 (Conroe, killed in delidding attempt), Xeon X3230 (Q6700 Kentsfield, alive and was clocked to 4GHz on the 790i), Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (Yorkfield, alive and working, but does not hit 4GHz), Xeon X5470 (Harpertown, alive and will do 4.5GHz if you can cool it), or at least that’s all the ones I know of off hand.

I could probably run KernelEX and force throttlestop to work if I played around with it enough, and if I really needed to.

I believe on 2000 there’s a mod like there was on XP to enable PAE (Physical Address Extension) and you could in theory run up to 32GB. My plan would be for 8GB but if only 4 works then that is fine.

Good lord, you weren’t kidding on them being expensive af. I’ve tried hunting in local thrift shops to find something around that era and no dice (been looking for months) there’s just no one getting rid of computer related stuff around here unfortunately.

I might drop down to S478 as a lot of those are pretty easy to come by, but then again, only a single core and limited to P4.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The slowest C2D will equal the fastest P4/PD CPUs.
Here's a Precision 390 for $50 free shipping. Needs PSU, SSD, RAM,CPU,GPU but you probably have all of that already. The Dell 375W PSU for these is nice and has a 6pin PCIe on it. Cheap and not hard to find.
3.73GHz is the speed of the fastest Netbirst/ Xeon 5080 which had 1066fsb and 130W TDP. So an overclocked X6800 should be a good fit.
T9303 is the good heatpipe cooler for those #0X9694 with cover included,
https://www.ebay.com/i/272480136954...GWZNMUJ0CvLUDefi39sBrwtpR2_EXA_0aApOGEALw_wcB
TJ258 is the best Delll BTX air cooler but needs some modding to fit. 6x8mm vs. 6x6mm heatpipes is the difference.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1301479857?i...44w0JKY7dQcAhK8yVwHjf11waQnD5ADIaAjgsEALw_wcB

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
The slowest C2D will equal the fastest P4/PD CPUs.
Here's a Precision 390 for $50 free shipping. Needs PSU, SSD, RAM,CPU,GPU but you probably have all of that already. The Dell 375W PSU for these is nice and has a 6pin PCIe on it. Cheap and not hard to find.
3.73GHz is the speed of the fastest Netbirst/ Xeon 5080 which had 1066fsb and 130W TDP. So an overclocked X6800 should be a good fit.
T9303 is the good heatpipe cooler for those #0X9694 with cover included,
https://www.ebay.com/i/272480136954...GWZNMUJ0CvLUDefi39sBrwtpR2_EXA_0aApOGEALw_wcB
TJ258 is the best Delll BTX air cooler but needs some modding to fit. 6x8mm vs. 6x6mm heatpipes is the difference.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1301479857?i...44w0JKY7dQcAhK8yVwHjf11waQnD5ADIaAjgsEALw_wcB
Would a regular ATX psu work on that thing? I have two, a generic 600W and an EVGA Supernova P2 750W in my bench rig.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes. The Dell PSU is about 1/2" thicker due to fan being end mounted. EVGA is usually good because most of them have enough 5V. power for an old P4 era Dell. The original PSU would have had 22A/5V. There are couple metal tabs that will need to be bent in, but that's pretty obvious when you install it. On the workstations you may need to cut the tab all the way back with a hacksaw blade so it can be folded down flat, The Optiplexes just fold in. The Dell PSUs have very short wiring leads to fit the BTX layout, that's the main difference. The borked 24 pin connector issue was with the pre BTX Dimensions.
Dell needs low density x64 RAM, and the Dell BTX BIOS won't support AMD GPUs after R9 380/285. Other R9 2xx, and HD series cards work. Dell workstations usually have RAID 0 in the BIOS. BIOS update I think willl get you to USB 2.0, and SATA2 levels.
The issue with the AMD GPUs is thay can't display the VESA mode 103 video reolution the BIOS uses. Some won't boot, others run with F1,It's reported in you stick a 2nd GPU in there that the BIOS recognizes then the newer AMD will be allowed also. My E520 from that era ran an R9 285 with F1.

Unclewebb says to try TS 4.00, or 6.00. If they load and run they should allow an overclock. But Win 2000 specifically is unknown.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just overclocked My GTX1060 3GB in my Optiplex 380 ($20) Dell. X5470 tweaked to 3.37GHz with SetFSB 8GB DDR3 1066, Used MSI Afterburner, and Kombustor.
116% Power, +175 Core clock, and +400 VRAM
Scored 8115 in Superposition 1080P Medium benchmark. Moved form 1177 on the leaderboard to 1159. I don't see any other LGA775/771 systems near it.
But still page 25 is page 25 LOL.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/leaderboards/superposition/1.x/1080p-medium/single-gpu/page-25
It looks like some thermal throttling knocked it back down to 2000 Core speed after a while in the run details. The small single fan cooler is needed in the Optiplex case.
Kombustor CPU burner only hits 62*C in this old BTX with a Pentium 4 heatpipe cooler and 150x50mm Delta workstation fan. I wish I could get a better OC on the Xeon. It's actually undervolted to 1.1125. I have some headroom in the Voltage and cooling areas for more speed.
But considering what it started out as ( E5800 2 core, 4GB system) the increase is pretty satisfying.
The E5800 was a mixed bag. 3.2Ghz, but 800fsb and 2MB cache. I tried a pinmod to 1066fsb but the Voltage wasn't there in the locked down Dell BIOS.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Would a regular ATX psu work on that thing? I have two, a generic 600W and an EVGA Supernova P2 750W in my bench rig.
Did you ever get anywhere with that W2K project? X6800 2 Core2 Extreme can be found for about $20. Most of those P4 Dells can go 8GB RAM. I'm sure you can get 3.7GHz out of that, and maybe 4GHz if you try hard. It will be stuck at 266fsb and 65nm CPUs so the C2X will be your best shot. Even w/o an OC it's the best choice. Let me know if that project gets off the ground. There are a couple cooling and Voltage tricks to get the most out of those. My Dimension E520 was a P4 era Dell. I got 4GHz QX6800 out of it. It's still in the top 10 at CPUZ since 2015. It was #2 for a couple years.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
I also found this post of Win2K running an 8 core AMD CPU.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/174127-info-on-windows-2000-and-multi-core-thread-or-cpu-machines/
You may have lots of options with that OS.
Eh I kinda scrapped the idea for now and bought a new 144hz monitor with the money I was gonna use for that. I think my main thing will be to get an Athlon 3000G rig, throw my GTX 660 in there and install linux, and then DOS box for older games and then Wine for games of that era. Should be more than enough and would allow me to put the 660 to use other than just sitting in a box doing nothing. I could use my R9 380 4GB (basically a refreshed R9 285) but I plan to do some extreme overclocking on that down the road.

Though in the future I probably will consider reviving the Win 2k project but for now its just on the backburner as I need a cheap low power pc for emulation purposes and that is easily portable. However I have been pondering a few ideas that a few people threw around like; Dual socket 370 Tualatin P3’s, Socket 754 Athlon’s, or Core 2 Duo/Quad like we were talking. Core 2 would be the cheapest, but not the easiest. Though I may definitely look into the Dell option you listed. I guess technically I could do LGA 771 dual socket too and AMD bulldozer based but ehhh I’d rather avoid that because single threaded its somewhat inferior to Yorkfield core 2 chips, though it does have instructions that lga 775 chips lack but that wouldn’t really matter in that old of an OS anyway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It turns out that Win 2Kdriver was just for a monitor. Not the whole Optiplex. The term OS rollout was confusing. The monitor fact was buried in the fine print.
The R9 380 usually won't run in the old Dells. Can't display their VESA 103 BIOS screen resolution. The R9 285 really is a bettter fit with the R9 3xx series. All the other R9 2xx can run in the older Dells. They were badge engineered HD7xxx GPUs. The R9 285 wasn't.
The one in my sig. needed F1 to boot, and I never did see my locked Dell BIOS again ( so what).

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
It turns out that Win 2Kdriver was just for a monitor. Not the whole Optiplex. The term OS rollout was confusing. The monitor fact was buried in the fine print.
The R9 380 usually won't run in the old Dells. Can't display their VESA 103 BIOS screen resolution. The R9 285 really is a bettter fit with the R9 3xx series. All the other R9 2xx can run in the older Dells. They were badge engineered HD7xxx GPUs. The R9 285 wasn't.
The one in my sig. needed F1 to boot, and I never did see my locked Dell BIOS again ( so what).
I mean I could break out my former main GPU that I used with my Z97 Broadwell before I upgraded to a GTX 1080. But I don’t really have any means of cooling my R9 290X as I lost most of the stock MSI mounting hardware after I converted it to a hybrid card. Though the stock Twin Frozr IV barely did the job because the heatsink just wasn’t enough unless I undervolted the card by roughly -20mv. It also has the legacy BIOS switch on it for purposes like this. But like I said its hot and hungry, I may look into an Arctic Accelero but it just looks hideous, but function over form I guess, unless I stumble upon a Sapphire VaporX card that isn’t working, that’s a cooler that can handle it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I mean I could break out my former main GPU that I used with my Z97 Broadwell before I upgraded to a GTX 1080. But I don’t really have any means of cooling my R9 290X as I lost most of the stock MSI mounting hardware after I converted it to a hybrid card. Though the stock Twin Frozr IV barely did the job because the heatsink just wasn’t enough unless I undervolted the card by roughly -20mv. It also has the legacy BIOS switch on it for purposes like this. But like I said its hot and hungry, I may look into an Arctic Accelero but it just looks hideous, but function over form I guess, unless I stumble upon a Sapphire VaporX card that isn’t working, that’s a cooler that can handle it.
Post#209 here. Acceleros looking good in a Dell T3500 workstation. HD6990, and HD6970 Trifire. Never did fire that one up. X58 W3690 unlocked CPU.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-overclocking-desktop-pcs.235975/page-9
Actually it's a Dell OEM HD 6990 card. I shopped by the Dell PN#. The bitcoin miners weren't looking for those. Got a pretty good deal on it from the surplus server parts guys at the time. Previous page shows the cards with their original coolers for a mockup.
My R9 285 has the Legacy BIOS switch. The issue with the Dells is Dell specific. It a GCN version mismatch that occuredwith the R9-3xx/285 cards.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here's a bizarro mod that may be useful for what you were considering.
You can take a text editor to Throttlestop and have it overclock just 2 cores. I've a SLACP up to 4GHz on a Dell BTX w/o trying that. 4.266GHz would be the next multiplier step on those 266fsb unlocked CPUs. The G0 stepping on the SLACP may allow it when the X6800 B2 won't.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Here's a bizarro mod that may be useful for what you were considering.
You can take a text editor to Throttlestop and have it overclock just 2 cores. I've a SLACP up to 4GHz on a Dell BTX w/o trying that. 4.266GHz would be the next multiplier step on those 266fsb unlocked CPUs. The G0 stepping on the SLACP may allow it when the X6800 B2 won't.
I really wanna try to get my 790i working again, I miss that board, was considering getting a replacement bios chip to see if that is the issue but I seriously doubt it is. I may try to nab another board in the near future and maybe not go so extreme on the overclock, maybe dial it way back and see how far the X5470 can undervolt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My old 775 build finally died this week RIP. I had an e8500 that I actually purchased from the marketplace here back in december of 2010. It was one of the first overclocks I did successfully. It was at 4.9ghz for a while at high voltage 1.46 if i recall correctly before I upgraded to a 3770k. I gave that build to a buddy who used it daily at [email protected] till its death this week. Honestly I miss the challenge of the 775 overclocking compared to today. This socket really got me hooked on tinkering with computers and electronics in general.

·
Hardware Princess
1,898 Posts
My old 775 build finally died this week RIP. I had an e8500 that I actually purchased from the marketplace here back in december of 2010. It was one of the first overclocks I did successfully. It was at 4.9ghz for a while at high voltage 1.46 if i recall correctly before I upgraded to a 3770k. I gave that build to a buddy who used it daily at [email protected] till its death this week. Honestly I miss the challenge of the 775 overclocking compared to today. This socket really got me hooked on tinkering with computers and electronics in general.
Yeah these chips are tougher than people think... last a decade after running at 4.9 1.46v for a while lol

My Q9550 still runs after a decade at 1.4v, heck it can still hold a 4 ghz OC more or less

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Yeah these chips are tougher than people think... last a decade after running at 4.9 1.46v for a while lol

My Q9550 still runs after a decade at 1.4v, heck it can still hold a 4 ghz OC more or less
Meanwhile I killed 3 775 boards before I’ve even degraded one of the chips.

1961 - 1980 of 2119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.