Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Firefox has long been the go-to web browser among power users for its impressive feature set, extensibility, and openness. But Google's nimble, light, also extensible and open browser, Chrome, has won over Firefox's core user base. Here's why:

On Monday, we asked Lifehacker readers to share their current browser of choice, and the results were surprising. While we'd expected to see a jump in Chrome usage since our last poll (in which Firefox was favored by 57 percent of respondents to Chrome's 21 percent), we didn't expect Chrome to have surpassed Firefox usage by almost 10 percent. Specifically, out of 40,000 responses, 42 percent chose Chrome as their browser of choice; 33 percent chose Firefox.
Source

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
That is because chrome is superior.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed. It was wierd, I posted the whole thing, source and all, hit post, and half of it (source included) didn't post. Strange

Edit: Was a response to a missing source in OP

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
Extensive tests comparing them here: http://www.overclock.net/networking-...21-2010-a.html
That's really only half the story

The article really hit on why I use chrome. Plenty fast, browser sync (I have five chrome/chromium/canary builds across 2 machines and a liveUSB), and the android/google services integration, both of which I use on a daily basis make chrome invaluable to me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I find myself slowly but surely using chrome. I use it on my main gaming PC now just because it feels more fluid than firefox, but I haven't gotten my laptop on the Chrome band wagon yet. Mainly because I can't be bothered

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Speed isn't everything. I liked Chrome & tried out its Noscript... It was really cool. However, something is keeping me on Firefox.

I don't know what it is. To me, a page that loads 1 second faster isn't a big deal to me, I can care less.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
Speed isn't everything.
Lies.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
Speed isn't everything.
Read the article. Speed was only a single part of it.

Ok, finally finished the format mess

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Honestly, two years ago I would have never thought this a possibility. It's crazy how so many people were so intensely attached to Firefox before and now a decent portion of them have completely moved over to Chrome without looking back. Only Google is capable of such a vast effect.

·
Registered
355 Posts
They are using firefox 3.6 when theres firefox 4.1ish out? Even though its beta it might be faster im not sure, I just think it would be nice to use update versions instead of the old ones?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hheemmpp View Post
They are using firefox 3.6 when theres firefox 4.1ish out? Even though its beta it might be faster im not sure, I just think it would be nice to use update versions instead of the old ones?
4.1 is slightly slower than Chrome still. And if your referring to the poll, it was a user poll, so all versions of firefox were included

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post
That is because chrome is superior faster.
Fixed.

I've been using Chrome religiously at both work and home for the past two months and was really digging it. For kicks I went back to Firefox this weekend, and I won't be going back to Chrome any time soon. I can't believe how counterproductive the Chrome UI is compared to FF+extensions. In it's vanilla form, I'd take Chrome in a heartbeat, but I prefer to browse the web my way, not Google's way.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by c-bro View Post
fixed.

I've been using chrome religiously at both work and home for the past two months and was really digging it. For kicks i went back to firefox this weekend, and i won't be going back to chrome any time soon. I can't believe how counterproductive the chrome ui is compared to ff+extensions. In it's vanilla form, i'd take chrome in a heartbeat, but i prefer to browse the web my way, not google's way.
qft.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
i'm sticking with firefox because it doesn't have a conflict of interest in messing with my adblock pro.

google LIVES on ads. somehow, i feel one day they'll just flip a switch and you won't be able to block their ads anymore.

(course, i keep ABP off while browsing OCN)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I agree with the article 100%. I use Chrome for most of my browsing because it's quick, easy and packs the features I want (syncing). I still miss having a master password though - I won't use the Chrome password manager until/unless they have a master password option.

Firefox started to lag for me, and I couldn't figure out why, which is the reason I switched to Chrome, but as the article said, nothing matches up to Firebug and ABP on Firefox, so whenever I'm doing any webdev project, I run right back to Firefox

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by curly haired boy View Post
i'm sticking with firefox because it doesn't have a conflict of interest in messing with my adblock pro.

google LIVES on ads. somehow, i feel one day they'll just flip a switch and you won't be able to block their ads anymore.

(course, i keep ABP off while browsing OCN)
Chromium is an open source project; so, that would be rather pointless for them to do so.
The code would be forked and continue to be developed by the community.

No need to worry about foul play.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts