Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just started up a micro atx project building inside the Lian Li 205M. Was $60 at Microcenter. Read online you could put a 280 AIO rad in the front but wouldnt you know it the NZXT Z63 did not fit. This required cutting the metal a little to open the front area and was able to get it to fit no problem. Next issue is in regards to how air may trap in the top of the rad shortening pump life span. The solution would be to mount the rad upside down. That will require using metal cutting tools to open up the top of the psu top compartment. Shouldnt be hard to do but the obvious next problem to solve is how you fit in a gpu with the AIO tubes in the way. So thinking of vertically mount the gpu. Not sure how in an matx case with no support?

thanks

• Rep+
Reactions: Ryanlee3276

· Premium Member
20,502 Posts
Don't you have room for the fans outside the case and still install the front cover? Or, mount the rad up top?

Pull/take the front cover off and install a fan, then check to see if the cover can clamp back on.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air being trapped at the top of the rad isn't the issue, you just don't want it trapped in the pump block. As long as the pump isn't the highest point in the loop, it should be fine.
Well the top of pump is an inch below from the outlet ports on the rad. From there the tubes fed in at the bottom of the pump which is like 2 1/2 inches in diameter I would guess. Getting a new motherboard tomorrow and will consider flipping the Kraken upside down. Would have to cut the metal shroud covering the psu to allow the pump to feed upwards. Its doable but the thing is it may block gpu placement. Will have to experiment once I get a working board. Though would rather not go through such extremes but don't want the pump to die an early death.

Thanks

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flipped image upside down. Don't think this is going to work..

· Registered
884 Posts
Yeah It doesn't look like the hoses would reach with a GPU installed. Idk actually, it might

You should be able to hear if there's air in the pump, if the pump is even an inch below the top of the rad you shouldn't have issues. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats good to know. Only way I see it is if I go with low profile gpu or small form factor gpu card. Not like any are available these days.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decided to roll the dice with the rad AIO mounted in the front. Hopefully the water will flow well enough for many years to come. Note that the rad is a 280mm NZXT Kraken Z63 and that there are two 140mm fans up top exhausting air. Despite the manual and specs stating that the Lian-Li Lancool 205M can only accommodate 120mm fans its very doable although a little bit of a squeeze. For the rad to fit you will need to cut away some metal in the rear. Heres what she looks like all finished:

• Rep+
Reactions: T.Sharp

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to mention thats in push pull fan mode. Thanks for the rep!

· Registered
1 Posts
Decided to roll the dice with the rad AIO mounted in the front. Hopefully the water will flow well enough for many years to come. Note that the rad is a 280mm NZXT Kraken Z63 and that there are two 140mm fans up top exhausting air. Despite the manual and specs stating that the Lian-Li Lancool 205M can only accommodate 120mm fans its very doable although a little bit of a squeeze. For the rad to fit you will need to cut away some metal in the rear. Heres what she looks like all finished:

View attachment 2488038
I'm aware this post is about a year old now, however what part of the case did you have to cut? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 280 aio and wanna be sure itll fit with minor issues. Is it the lip above the front fan mounts, or was it the PSU Shroud depth?

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a dremel and a diamond disc to cut the opening of the psu shroud to the left and right where fans fit into and level to the top of the psu shroud. So it was to the left and right. Was an easy mod.

Only thing is now I am hearing noise coming from the pump all of a sudden. Think it was result of recent overclocking experiment. The extra heat must have rev'd up the pumps motor. Only fix was to manually lower the speed of the motor. Not ideal. Temps still good.

• Rep+
Reactions: D3ADLY

· Registered
1 Posts
I used a dremel and a diamond disc to cut the opening of the psu shroud to the left and right where fans fit into and level to the top of the psu shroud. So it was to the left and right. Was an easy mod.

Only thing is now I am hearing noise coming from the pump all of a sudden. Think it was result of recent overclocking experiment. The extra heat must have rev'd up the pumps motor. Only fix was to manually lower the speed of the motor. Not ideal. Temps still good.
Hopefully not too late to the party, but what material is the front panel? Thinkin of drilling holes or cutting it after a paint, just haven't bought the case yet.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its either aluminum or soft rolled steel.

• Rep+
Reactions: SaiPai
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.