Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112218

im thinking about getting this mini tower to use until im done modding my Tt armor+ mx

how is it? it looks very moddable which i like >=D

im at least gunna paint the interior some color or another.

mobo trey doesnt look removable
i see cable management holes tho. how well do they work? can you take other case side off? it looks like its gunna be REALLY flimsy. i HATE aluminum cause its flimsy as hell.

if i had my way, id get a titanium case for my compy

also will this psu power my sig rig for a month or two:

i need to RMA my hx1000 STILL Lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You do realize that a titanium case would cost you at least $500. Also, most well made aluminum cases are very sturdy.

This case is EXTREMELY moddable, I am actually in the process of buying one to do some serious work with (huge internal water loop). Here is a good example of what you can do with it.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...loon-done.html

Unfortunately the mobo tray is not removable but honestly, that shouldn't be that big of a problem unless you really enjoy taking your mobo out a lot.

The holes you see arent for cable managment, those are to make removing a heatsink easier, however cutting some cable holes isnt difficult and should make the case look just that much better. Also, yes you can take off both sides of the case.

I dont see a psu there but if you are referring to the OCZ 700 watt you should be fine.

Again, a well made aluminum case will never be flimsy.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by lithgroth007 View Post
You do realize that a titanium case would cost you at least $500. Also, most well made aluminum cases are very sturdy.

This case is EXTREMELY moddable, I am actually in the process of buying one to do some serious work with (huge internal water loop). Here is a good example of what you can do with it.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...loon-done.html

Unfortunately the mobo tray is not removable but honestly, that shouldn't be that big of a problem unless you really enjoy taking your mobo out a lot.

The holes you see arent for cable managment, those are to make removing a heatsink easier, however cutting some cable holes isnt difficult and should make the case look just that much better. Also, yes you can take off both sides of the case.

I dont see a psu there but if you are referring to the OCZ 700 watt you should be fine.

Again, a well made aluminum case will never be flimsy.

i would pay $500+ for a titanium case that was designed well enough

a case lighter than aluminum thats stronger than steel? count me in!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyL View Post
i would pay $500+ for a titanium case that was designed well enough

a case lighter than aluminum thats stronger than steel? count me in!
Yes but is it worth $400 more for 1 pound less of weight, and a bit more sturdiness? No.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
I was just eyeing this case also, If you're going to purchase it, do it now. There's only 18 17 left. ( 41 left last night around this time) This case seems to be very popular for some reason. I would buy one, but I just bought a storm scout on tuesday LOL.

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
That case is one of my favorite modding projects. I LOVE the 05 This is the newer version and I really dont know what changes they made but it weighs like 5 oz. And is strong and Silent. I love it. And so do the people that i have built these rigs for. Here are some Pictures of some 05s that I have done in the past.

I used an ADT sign for the cut out for that mod

Another good thing about the case is that the MOBO fits in Upside down so the video card heat goes up and out and doesnt travel over the CPU cooler

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma8750
View Post

That case is one of my favorite modding projects. I LOVE the 05 This is the newer version and I really dont know what changes they made but it weighs like 5 oz. And is strong and Silent. I love it. And so do the people that i have built these rigs for. Here are some Pictures of some 05s that I have done in the past.

:images:

Another good thing about the case is that the MOBO fits in Upside down so the video card heat goes up and out and doesnt travel over the CPU cooler

thanks for showing me that + rep

yeah im seriously thinking about this case for modding. i want watercooling in it but also a window on the top for badassness

gotta think this one out for a while.

EDIT: nice honda symbol LOL and im thinkingim gunna put handles ont he top too.

any good way to paint the inside of the case matt black?

and will clearuv make the matt look like gloss?

EDIT AGAIN:

http://www.clearneon.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=10

looks like it can be matte

im gunna paint the inside of the case matt black with this clear neon over it in green and have some uv lighting in the case. not sure how the waterloop is gunna work out but i want some wheels and sexy handles for the top of the case.

BINGO! just thouht of something!! i can have a double rad on the side panel behind the mobo so that the bottom of the rad goes just over the top of the psu and a single 120mm rad where the exaust fan is. the double rad for GPU and the single for CPU would work nicely while i could still maintain the window on teh top of the case. im thinking about getting some uv reactive blue cast acrylic to send in to a laser engraving place and get my logo theme etched on the windows as well as a frosty/icy like texture to go around my logo. a big logo on the big window and a small one in the corner on the top window.

boy i got plans for this case!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
plastidip?

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

Actually I go to the Local Auto Part place and buy that Spray on Bed liner in a Can. go easy with it and it will stick really good and not peel and will quieten the case if that is possible. More to come stand by.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...&cPath=130_132

thanks do the uv windows glow real well with uv?

edit: whats plastidip

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
The Plasticoat is the spray on Rubber that goes on well but is very easy to come off. The Bed Liner stuff does the same thing exept you will need a chisel to get it off.

There is no psu that it will not hold.. Plenty of room

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
I wouldn't go with the Colored glass. If you want tint. Buy some cheap acrylic Plexiglass at lowe's and then go to a local tint shop and get the guy to tint the window for you from the inside. the colored perspex does not look that great.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got another idea to have big res on the top to act as a window

i might get an inverse t virus res and have it going half in half out on the top long ways as well with a small window towards the front of the window that would be uv blue cast acrylic.

i gotta ask the dude who makes tvirus res' if he can make the refil hole on the side, or i could fabricate my own somehow.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

I wouldn't go with the Colored glass. If you want tint. Buy some cheap acrylic Plexiglass at lowe's and then go to a local tint shop and get the guy to tint the window for you from the inside. the colored perspex does not look that great.

cheap plexiglass is a BIG no no. i want CAST acylic for a reason. its alot loighter and like 10 times stronger than glass which willa ctually increase the sturdyness of this somewhat flimsy lookin case lol

i want uv reactive cast acrylic cause the laser etchings (in theory) should glow really well and stand out from the

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyL
View Post

cheap plexiglass is a BIG no no. i want CAST acylic for a reason. its alot loighter and like 10 times stronger than glass which willa ctually increase the sturdyness of this somewhat flimsy lookin case lol

I dont know if you are just ignoring me or if you really have no idea what you are talking about. This case is NOT flimsy, Lian-li takes great pride in manufacturing strong, light cases. Just because something is made out of aluminum does not mean it is weak.

Also if you are putting in a window not only are you removing material which will increase stress in the case but you are also adding corners wich are huge stress concentrators so unless you are welding, brazing, etc a window on you will not be strengthening the case. Not that it really matters anyway you are modifying a non structural part of the case, its a wall not a support.

Please stop acting like you know what you are talking about and listen to our advice. We do it for a reason.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lithgroth007 View Post
I dont know if you are just ignoring me or if you really have no idea what you are talking about. This case is NOT flimsy, Lian-li takes great pride in manufacturing strong, light cases. Just because something is made out of aluminum does not mean it is weak.

Also if you are putting in a window not only are you removing material which will increase stress in the case but you are also adding corners wich are huge stress concentrators so unless you are welding, brazing, etc a window on you will not be strengthening the case. Not that it really matters anyway you are modifying a non structural part of the case, its a wall not a support.

Please stop acting like you know what you are talking about and listen to our advice. We do it for a reason.
so this is basically saying with bolts stronger than aluminum and and material stronger than aluminum, its going to weaken the aluminum panel because corners add stress to the metal?

guess thats good to know so i can make rounded edges but how else does a wandow make stress on the side panel if the material of the window and the things holding it together and the bond between the thing holding them together are all stronger than the side panel itself?

anyway every aluminum case ive ever seen seems like tin foil compaired to the good steel ones cause aluminum is a very weak metal.

edit: wait im rly tired. is it cause the stress points of the area contacting the aluminum and the cast acrylic is a very small surface area and the metal there will rip easily? im not an engineer so i wouldnt know lol

w/e ill think about it more when i havent been up for over a day.

edit again: whats the thickness on the side panels on this case?

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

mabye THIS is why i think that this case will be flimsy as hell.

ill put down money that lian li's top end case frames are no where near as strong as my tt armor+ mx which is made by a garbage company lol but pls prove me wrong

1 - 20 of 22 Posts