Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Ordered a new Case and Some New Parts.

Case: Lian Li PC-A05NB - Plan on Painting or Powdercoating inside Flat Black - a few additional Fan holes

PSU - Corsair 850AX - Plan on Sleeving cables

Motherboard - EVGA FTW3 - coming out of another machine

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 - coming out of another machine

Memory - Undecided - see what I have laying around

CPU Cooler - Corsair H60

Hard Drives - Various - 160 GB for OS and 2 - 1.5 TB & 3 TB for Storage

GPU - 1024MB, GeForce GTS 450 FPB

Fans - Apache Blacks

DVR - Geovision G800 Camera Card

This System will be used for my backups and as a DVR for my cameras around the house.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the video card. I know it works with the DVR card I have. I had some compatability issues with the DVR card in the past. No need for a great video card, the computer will be living in a closet. I do plan on upgrading at some point.

For the few new parts that I am buying, I wanted to get good parts. I plan on keeping the case and PSU for a while, especially if I am going to invest some time in modifying the case a sleeving the PSU.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the case and PSU today.
smile.gif

I did as much diasembly as possible without breaking out the drill.

Unscrewed everything and removed all the covers, switches and wires.

Made a few measurements and made a plan of attack for tomorrow.

Decided to cut a hole under the PSU, so it can pull air in from the bottom.

Going to move the little support bracket to the back edge of the PSU.

Using some of the existing holes in the bottom as guides, I will cut 2 more fan holes into the bottom.

Plan on having the bottom fans pull air into the case.

The one on the rear will also pull air in (through the H60 Radiator).

The fan in the front of the case will push air out.

The rest of the air should escape through the front or vents in the back top edge and slotted card slots.

I found some nicer feet and a toolless PCI holder.
smile.gif

Bought some satin black paint for the inside and back of the case.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Project for this evening was drill my holes in the bottom.

I put one centered under the PSU Fan and 2 more further back. I used 2 of the existing holes as a guide and marked the rest.

I also moved the PSU support bracket to the edge of the PSU so it would be supported once I cut the hole in the bottom.

I cut the large holes with a 4 1/2" hole saw and my cordless drill. Sanded the edges with some sandpaper wrapped around a round wooden plug.

Next I drilled out all the rivets. I was going to paint the case, but in the interest of tring to save me some time and make the case a bit more durable I am dropping all the parts off to a friend to powder coat. Not sure if I should stick with a satin black, or try white.

Here are some pictures after the everything was stripped and the holes were drilled.

DSC02277.jpg

DSC02276.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

DSC02274.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02268.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02265.jpg

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much accomplished today. I'm trying to clean out the garage to make some room to work. Everyone keeps dropping crap of for me to auction off.
frown.gif
lots of stuff in my way and just not enough hours in the day to do that, work, family, and work on my computer stuff.

I dropped the case parts off with my friend the does powder coating. I am going to go with a white inside with all black accents and chrome / polished hardware.

Black on Black sleeving.

I was going to start taking the DVD drive apart to paint the case black, just got interupted. Hopefully I will make some progress this weekend.

I will post pictures once I have something productive to show.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my case back from powder coating today. I'm going to rivit it back together and start installing some of the parts. Pictures of progress coming later.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pictures of my progress.

Case was powdercoated gloss white.

DSC02416.jpg

I riveted everything back together with Lian Li black rivets.

Optical drive got a Lian Li stealth cover.

DSC02420.jpg

All the cables for the case were sleeved.

DSC02430.jpg

All fans were replaced with Apache blacks.

I made a custom length power cable for the drives. (1 - Hitachi 3TB, 2 - Seagate 1.5 TB, 1 - 160GB Seagate)

DSC02440.jpg

EVGA GTS 450 and Geovision GV800 video cards installed.

DSC02439.jpg

Extra feet installed to raise the case a bit for better air flow.

DSC02449.jpg

I pulled the factory sleeving off the Corsair PSU cables. I didn't like the cable ties they put below the heat shrink.

·
Nothing
4,191 Posts
Looks very clean. Imo you should have gone with the Kingwin 550w Platinum. It's better and you don't need 850w for that or even if you put a gtx 580 in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts