Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought one of these Lian-Li v2010b chassis for my next build that I snagged for $100. I thought it was a pretty amazing deal.

The mod/build will be an over the time thing as most of my projects are.

Right now I am looking at a strictly air cooled setup with a possibility of liquid cooling in the not so near future.

I am completely open to everyone's idea so please don't hold back. Let me know what I should or should not do!

I need a title for this project!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents
I. The initiation (this post)
II. Mod plans - Rough Draft
III. Chassis Cable Management
IV. Build parts list and order status (classic upboxing pics!)
V. The classic arrival of the parts and classic unboxing
VI. 5.25" 120mm fan mod (draft)
VI. Motherboard tray cable management
VII. 3x 5.25" Bay Acrylic Inserts for 120mm fans
VIII. Fan Installation and Silencing
IX. Silent Fan Grill Mod
X. Core Installation Part I
XI. Processor and SSD Glamor shot
XII. Core Installation Part II
XIII. SSD Stealth Mount
XI. Cable Re-management (Round III)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looks great! I like either watercooling or air cooling for those cases, I wish I had one lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: The case just arrived
It's so beautiful.

So the v2010b is notorious for a terrible stock cooling setup. I want to change that.

Here is a little sketch up I made in ms paint:

I know the side panel is the opposite side in the picture but you get the point.

For the 140mm intake on the side panel, I wanted a mesh covering.

EDIT: The top panel will have 3x 120mm fans as opposed to the 1 x 140mm drawn up.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
hmm, maybe you should make the top panel 2x 120 mm fans

that way, if you plan on watercooling later, you'd have space for a 240 rad?

idk. from the looks on the pic, would a rad fit up top?

sweet case btw

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've started some cable management of everything in the case: Front I/O, LED indications, On/off switch, fans, and fan speed controller.

Most of it is done by looking at kevingreenbmx's cable management.

I will throw some pictures up in this post when I get my camera.

I have been considering running the LED indicators and the 2 switches through a CAT5e wire so that when they comes to the mother board it's just one wire that splits off into 4 connectors. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick View Post
hmm, maybe you should make the top panel 2x 120 mm fans

that way, if you plan on watercooling later, you'd have space for a 240 rad?

idk. from the looks on the pic, would a rad fit up top?

sweet case btw
I think a rad will fit. it looks like the cases Koolance used to use for their wc cases.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick little update about the beta cable management done so far before any of the components arrive.

Got me some wiring loom. I'm not even sure if I'll use it since it's 3/4" and 1" but I got it anyways.

The LED and power switch wires running down to the bottom of the case where they won't be seen from there on.

I thought this was nifty of me. Instead of running the wire along the front of the 5.25" bay caddy I ran the wire underneath the switch and behind the front fan.

Front I/O panel wires re-ran through a stock gromet on the top of the 5.25" bays.

Front I/O wires ran along side the top of the case where they drop behind the mother board and will be pulled up from the bottom so all you'll see it the connector and maybe some heatshrink.

Stock fan controller and HD audio wiring ran through this little hole above the mobo tray. Excuse the terrible sleeve on that one wire. I was experimenting

I de-pined the unnecessary AC '97 audio connector to clean up the audio wire a bit.

I eventually plan on placing an order from MDPC-X for some amazing sleeve and heatshrink to cover all the wires but right now I just want to get this thing up! I can always do (and will do) little things to it after it's functional.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, so this build kind of died to a lack of funds. Well I now ran into some money and will be completing this build.

Also, as the title states this is not only la case mod, but a computer build as well since there is not an initial setup to work with.

Here is my parts list and their status: All these parts are here
Chassis: Lian-Li PC-V2010b
Motherboard: EVGA Classified E760
Processor: Intel Core i7 980x(on its way)
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866Mhz 7-8-7-20 (Thank you bob808)
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D2 7.1 channel (not ordered)
Storage: 160GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD for OS
Cooling: Stock Intel 980x HFS
Power Supply: Corsair 1000w HX1000

Peripherals:
Monitor: Samsung 22" 226BW (might upgrade to a HD resolution and bigger screen later on, but right now I'm content with the 1680x1050 resolution)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 w/ Denon AH-D950 headphones
Keyboard: Standard Dell non-media keyboard
Mouse: HP laser MDX gaming (also own a Logitech MX518)

The GPU weak for the build - I know. But it's hard to keep up with daily changing GPU industry and thus have decided to conserve here, disperse the saved money elsewhere, and upgrade later.
I will update this post as parts are ordered and come in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first box has arrived courtesy of FedEx! What could it be?

Dun dun dun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 7/13

The NewEgg box arrived today via UPS:

The anticipation...does it build?

:-O

(The 8Gb flashdrive is to replace all optical media.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 7/14
The UPS guy surprised me today by showing up early today. He presented me with these two packages. At first, I had no idea what was going on - then I remembered.

At first, I had no idea what was in them - then I remembered. Let's start with the Corsair box.

What's in the box? Pictured: Corsair DDR3 Dominator GT RAM with extended heatsinks, the RAM cooler, and miscellaneous brackets and screws to mount the fan.

Some of the most beatifically crafted sticks of RAM with the extended heat fins.

Timing verification: 1866MHz @ 7-8-7-20

In to the yellow package are the NZXT individually sleeved extension cables. YES, they do make them in other colors besides black! You just have to find them. I couldn't resist buying these as (right now) I am too lazy to individually sleeve these cables and they were relatively inexpensive so I had to see the quality. These are only the 24-pin, 8-pin CPU power, and 6-pin PCI-E cable. Silly me forgot to order 2x 8-pin CPU power extension so the other should be here tomorrow.

Review: I know this is what everyone is going to compare them to so - No, they are nothing close to the quality of MDPC-X sleeve. The sleeve it self is actually quite mediocre. NZXT used red cabling underneath the red sleeve so that odd colors don't poke out (a common practice). However, I am extremely satisfied for what I paid for. At $9 a cable you can't beat the time and money saved.

Date: 7/15
Contrary to yesterday the UPS man arrived super late today which angered me a bit. But then I got the ecstasy of opening the package and didn't care anymore

What is in this conspicuous box you ask?

3 Enermax Cluster fans and that extra 8-pin motherboard extension I forgot to order the first time around xD

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a little sneak peak of what I'm working on for the 5.25" bays. Basically, there will be nothing in them

The case will have no optical drive. An idea given to me by my buddy Cody (500mph). Instead of loading the OS from disc, it will be loaded via USB. I find multiple benefits to this - clean front end (more off that sexy brushed aluminum), less wires clutter inside, less noise, ect.

The v2010b has 7x 5.25" bays. 6 of the 7 bays will be occupied with 2x 120mm fans. Each fan takes up 3 bays. The last bay will be left empty/ a fan controller.

Reasoning: Not only does the case have terrible air flow from the factory, but it has no intake! There is 1x 140mm fan, but that is located on the bottom of the chassis divider only cooling the HDD and PSU.

Now, I've seen lots of "ghetto" ways to mounting 120mm fans up front including glue, zip-ties, tape, and just plain pressure. However, but I'm a bit picky and will be fabricating (with the help of a friend) aluminum or acrylic 5.25" bays to house the fans.

Aligning the fan on the slot covers to take measurements:

Final Product: Here

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
Looking good.

Bit of an odd assortment of parts purchased but im not the one with the money

Thank you! Finally, someone that understands. My money. My choices. I know where I stand and you know where you stand. Most people on forums don't get that these days.

But don't get me wrong, I still love to hear people's input on things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
subbed.
Thank you again. It will be full of updates this coming week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, since no parts are coming in today I decided I'd start cutting some holes in the motherboard for cable management.

The tool at hand:

What the motherboard tray started out as:

After a few minutes of cutting away and washing:

They aren't the cleanest cuts, but the insides are rounded and smooth. It will all be hidden anyways.

Now the big hole I am planning on running the Front I/O panel wires (except audio and eSATA which have been run through the top), 24-pin ATX Power, and both the 8-pin 12v Power. I'm hoping this will all fit behind the board. It will also serve as easy access to the heatsink back plate.

The smaller hole will contain all the front panel connectors (i.e power switch, reset switch, power, hd led, ect.) along with the SATA cable for the X-25M.

Let me know if you guys have any better ideas, or things that might work better

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are special. Today you get two updates!

Last night I got the phone call that the black acrylic 120mm fan mounts I wanted came out of fabrication. I went and picked them up today.

The v2010b has room for eight harddrives. I am using one SSD.
(I have a NAS) So most of the pre-made solutions like the ThermalTake, Lian-Li, and Scythe have harddrive cages behind the fans (essentially to cool the harddrives Since I don't have use for any more harddrive slots, they would just cause air turbulence. As you can see, this is a simple solution. Completely empty from behind so the air can flow freely.

***FINAL PICTURES HERE***

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just got a call that one of my family members is in need of heart surgery tomorrow morning and no one is able to take them.

So, I will be leaving here in a few hours for California and driving all night should be there by 3 or 4 a.m. This project will be put on hold for hopefully only a few days if all goes well.

I was really hoping to put the build together this weekend, but family emergency > computer build unfortunately.

I'll see if I can get a quick update in before I leave though

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Sorry to hear about the long trip, hope all goes well for the family.

Looking forward to more updates, you are making me want to cut up my case (same as yours but basically shorter)

Need to cut and install the window tomorrow on mine, already got all the stuff, just beign a chicken

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemunky View Post
Sorry to hear about the long trip, hope all goes well for the family.

Looking forward to more updates, you are making me want to cut up my case (same as yours but basically shorter)

Need to cut and install the window tomorrow on mine, already got all the stuff, just beign a chicken

Thank you, I finally just got a chance to sit down with a laptop now. I'm sitting here in the hospital. (God bless free high-speed wifi)

The surgery went well and he is recovering unbelievably quick.
However, the bad news is that I will be stuck here in California for at least this week and probably more.

So instead of doing nothing here, I thought I'd sit down and get some work done here while I wait.

To be honest, I am a bit afraid to cut into the side panel my self. I don't want to end up with unclean cuts. I know the size or the window I want and where to get it. I just want to have it cut super clean. I might find someone to cut the panel instead later on.

The side-panel is just a few of the things on my list to do.

The look I am going for with the side window is what TimeToLiveCustoms has done
film_go.png
YouTube- MNR V1.2 - Complete.

To be honest though, the window will probably be one of the later things I do. Even though I should know from other v2010b builds that it hurts to out the panel with not window back on after all the hard work on the inside

1 - 20 of 37 Posts