Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing this odd noise coming from my rig for the past week or so, like an electric grinding sound, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, because I can only seem to hear it from a few feet away... if I put my ear to the side of the case, the sound is gone.

My gut tells me it's about time to replace my AIO Intel/Asetek liquid CPU cooler since it's been on there for a good 2+ years now, and I keep my PC on almost 24/7, against my better judgment because whenever I put it to sleep it randomly wakes up a few minutes later. Of course it could also be any of the multitude of fans, I have no way to tell.

Does anyone have experience with the RTS2011LC all-in-one cooler or know how long those things normally last? Is it dangerous to use them until they quit, or should I replace it now (if I can afford it)?

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpillz624 View Post

I've been hearing this odd noise coming from my rig for the past week or so, like an electric grinding sound, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, because I can only seem to hear it from a few feet away... if I put my ear to the side of the case, the sound is gone.

My gut tells me it's about time to replace my AIO Intel/Asetek liquid CPU cooler since it's been on there for a good 2+ years now, and I keep my PC on almost 24/7, against my better judgment because whenever I put it to sleep it randomly wakes up a few minutes later. Of course it could also be any of the multitude of fans, I have no way to tell.

Does anyone have experience with the RTS2011LC all-in-one cooler or know how long those things normally last? Is it dangerous to use them until they quit, or should I replace it now (if I can afford it)?
I'm thinking it might be good to replace my Corsair H100 as well since it's going on three years of solid use; only thing I can recommend is to install something like Coretemp which allows for your computer to be automatically shut down when CPU temps rise past a user defined threshold (I have mine set to 90C) ... several times Coretemp has auto shut my rig down when a power load to my H100 pump jostled loose and the pump shut down. The shut down is pretty much immediate when the threshold is breached and so damage to CPU is drastically minimized.

• Rep+
Reactions: GrimDoctor

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

I'm thinking it might be good to replace my Corsair H100 as well since it's going on three years of solid use; only thing I can recommend is to install something like Coretemp which allows for your computer to be automatically shut down when CPU temps rise past a user defined threshold (I have mine set to 90C) ... several times Coretemp has auto shut my rig down when a power load to my H100 pump jostled loose and the pump shut down. The shut down is pretty much immediate when the threshold is breached and so damage to CPU is drastically minimized.
That's an awesome fail safe, never thought of that
thumb.gif

OP, just googling about the place, life span seems to around 2-3 years. Common issues seem to be pump failure, gunked up fluid and radiator. I'm not an expert on these by any means but hopefully that helps a little. Adding a fail safe like s1rrah suggested would also be a great idea...I might even add one to my air rig just in case - I like to be cautious
smile.gif

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now with only Chrome and my Minecraft server running in the background (no one on it though), my CPU is hovering around 36-39 C. Little higher than normal but that could also be cause I haven't blown out dust in quite a while. I'm just super paranoid about the thing springing a leak as it ages. I guess a pump failure is likely to kill it first.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Depends on the cooler.

NZXT AIOs have a 6 year warranty. Assuming you keep the radiators clean I wouldn't bother replacing one while it was still under warranty and working. Others may fail sooner though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts