Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing some simple product shots and need to get a lighting setup. I'll be photographing items 2ft^3 and smaller, planning on building a desk for it. My budget for lighting is around $500, what would you suggest?

Current Gear:
Nikon D5000
Nikkor 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Nikkor 70-200mm VR I f/2.8

I have an old manual flash but nothing else. Would a set of speedlights, stands and diffusers be a good idea or should I look at a stationary lighting set?

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I'm not exactly sure if this is what you want your photos to look like, but my product photos are shot with two desk lamps bouncing off of each side wall of my lightbox.

The last set however with my 28mm was shot with my point and shoot, so that might not be a good representation of what a DSLR does with that setup

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

I'm not exactly sure if this is what you want your photos to look like, but my product photos are shot with two desk lamps bouncing off of each side wall of my lightbox.

The last set however with my 28mm was shot with my point and shoot, so that might not be a good representation of what a DSLR does with that setup

I've done some shots with messing with some work lamps but I'd be interested in trying strobes.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you are limiting yourself to 2'x3' and smaller, you can make a useable lightbox setup for < $100
Get a large carboard box, a roll of white paper, and 2 halogen work lights from home depot. 2x work lights to aim at the sides of the box, and use the cameras flash when taking photos. Adjust eposure and cropping in your editing program so that the background looks uniformly white, and the item looks like it is floating.

edit: If a light box is something you think will work for you, I can give you simple step by step instructions.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by robchaos
View Post

If you are limiting yourself to 2'x3' and smaller, you can make a useable lightbox setup for < $100
Get a large carboard box, a roll of white paper, and 2 halogen work lights from home depot. 2x work lights to aim at the sides of the box, and use the cameras flash when taking photos. Adjust eposure and cropping in your editing program so that the background looks uniformly white, and the item looks like it is floating.

edit: If a light box is something you think will work for you, I can give you simple step by step instructions.

I have done something similar in the past but would like to try strobes. With continuous work lights, I can't seem to defuse the light the correct amount to get even lighting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check out strobist.com.
Hobby has posted a bunch of cheap creative light set-ups for product images in the past.

He is a lighting guru.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts