Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: The Strix board I got isn't great, but it's at least achieving 4,000 MHz @ 13-14-14-28-1T Gear 1. But needs tweaking. Readouts attached.

I was fortunately given the opportunity to acquire this kit from GALAX, which had to be imported from Hong Kong via FedEx.
The total cost came to $439 USD for the RAM and shipping, and the customs ended up costing about $66 USD, for a total of about $505 USD.
(Yes, the cost is insane. And yes, I'm insane enough to fork out the money just to have some fun with memory overclocking.)

After buying my ultra binned Micron B-Die kit (in my signature) a while back and pushing it to the limit on the Z390 platform, the itch for more never went away.
That kit in particular is no longer available for sale from what I can tell, so it is special if only for that status alone.
Of course, I could've purchased any random Samsung B-Die kit like anyone else, but I've become a bit of a connoisseur for exotic and unique hardware.
There are few (if any) Samsung B-Die kits prebinned to 5,000+ MHz on XMP, so considering that it is limited edition, I figured I would bite.

Attached are initial photos of the product. Since I just received my binned 12900k in the mail, I will start testing once the system is fully set up.
For now, the system specs for the new test bench that I will be using is detailed below.
The RAM will be tested with XMP and then manually overclocked in both Gear 1 and 2. The CPU will remain at stock for now, with E-cores disabled.

CPUIntel Core i9-12900K (Prebinned w/P-core SP 98; E-cores disabled)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 (Brand new; dual fan setup) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
GPUIntegrated GPU
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Gaming Wi-Fi D4 (Brand new; BIOS version 0901)
RAMGALAX HOF OC LAB Tempest DDR4-5000 2x8GB (Prebinned Samsung B-die) with table fan cooling
PSUEVGA SuperNOVA 850W G6 80+ Gold (Brand new)
StorageWD Black SN750 SE 1 TB Gen. 4 NVMe SSD (Brand new)
OSWindows 10 Pro
CaseOpen Test Bench

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Can't wait to see what they can do!

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can't wait to see what they can do!
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to buy another PSU as it would be inconvenient to run both systems one after the other. Still need this one for work, after all.
Beauties. Shame you are not putting that binned 12900k on water.
Actually, it will be, but the water loop parts haven't all arrived yet. Still waiting on the MO-RA3 order and then I'd have to order fittings once I do physical measurements in the case. Spent about $1700 on the water loop parts so far (although a significant portion of that was shipping and customs); will have to spend more once the fittings are factored in. I've been doing very, very strict calculations on everything I'd need for the loop so as not to waste money on unnecessary components (as best as I can), but it's a pretty complex loop with various aesthetics involved, so it ended up costing more than the typical water loop configuration. Otherwise it would probably be like half the cost. But, I'd rather spend the money on the water loop than on some insanely scalped GPU that I'd probably only use for a year at most and even then never fully capitalize the performance on, so... In any case, I just figured I'd get a head start in benching some stuff on this new motherboard.

I will be reporting back a bit later, probably with a different PSU. In the meanwhile, how should I jump the motherboard to start it? Take a screwdriver and stick it between the two POWER SW pins? Is it safe with a magnetized screwdriver? On this motherboard, the POWER SW pins aren't marked as + and - but as something else entirely, so I'm not sure whether that makes a difference.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
n the meanwhile, how should I jump the motherboard to start it? Take a screwdriver and stick it between the two POWER SW pins? Is it safe with a magnetized screwdriver? On this motherboard, the POWER SW pins aren't marked as + and - but as something else entirely, so I'm not sure whether that makes a difference.
Yes.

Just be sure to only touch those pins (+ and - don't matter; you're just connecting/shorting the two). Once I saw sparks when I wasn't being careful and bridged one of the power pins with one of the LED pins. Didn't fry anything. I now use something akin to this but I sometimes use the screw drive as well:

Amazon.com: Desktop Computer Power Switch, AZMXDVP External Remote Start PC Motherboard Power On Off Switch Button Extension Cable-M20 : Electronics

Magnetized drivers should be fine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.

Just be sure to only touch those pins (+ and - don't matter; you're just connecting/shorting the two). Once I saw sparks when I wasn't being careful and bridged one of the power pins with one of the LED pins. Didn't fry anything. I now use something akin to this but I sometimes use the screw drive as well:

Amazon.com: Desktop Computer Power Switch, AZMXDVP External Remote Start PC Motherboard Power On Off Switch Button Extension Cable-M20 : Electronics

Magnetized drivers should be fine.
Good to know. I actually ordered one just now off of AliExpress, but I'm sure it'll take at least 2-3 weeks to arrive. Thanks friend.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was fortunately given the opportunity to acquire this kit from GALAX, which had to be imported from Hong Kong via FedEx.
The total cost came to $439 USD for the RAM and shipping, and the customs ended up costing about $66 USD, for a total of about $505 USD.
(Yes, the cost is insane. And yes, I'm insane enough to fork out the money just to have some fun with memory overclocking.)

After buying my ultra binned Micron B-Die kit (in my signature) a while back and pushing it to the limit on the Z390 platform, the itch for more never went away.
That kit in particular is no longer available for sale from what I can tell, so it is special if only for that status alone.
Of course, I could've purchased any random Samsung B-Die kit like anyone else, but I'm become a bit of a connoisseur for exotic and unique hardware.
There are few (if any) Samsung B-Die kits prebinned to 5,000+ MHz on XMP, so considering that it is limited edition, I figured I'd bite.

Attached are initial photos of the product. Since I just received my binned 12900k in the mail today, I will report back once the system is fully set up.
For now, the system specs for the new test bench that I will be using is detailed below.
The RAM will be tested with XMP and then manually overclocked in both Gear 1 and 2. The CPU will remain at stock for now, with E-cores disabled.

CPUIntel Core i9-12900K (Prebinned w/P-core SP 98; E-cores disabled)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 (Brand new; dual fan setup) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
GPUIntegrated GPU
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Gaming Wi-Fi D4 (BIOS version 0901)
RAMGALAX HOF OC LAB Tempest DDR4-5000 2x8GB (Prebinned Samsung B-die) with table fan cooling
PSUPending a new one
StorageWD Black SN750 SE 1 TB Gen. 4 NVMe SSD (Brand new)
OSWindows 10 Pro
CaseOpen Test Bench
Afaik strix isn't compatible with noctua

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Afaik strix isn't compatible with noctua
Already installed the cooler just fine ;)
Didn't even need the LGA1700 bracket. Just used whatever old socket one it had included in the box. (Apparently, this NH-D15 isn't even up to date for LGA1200, lol)
I directed the fans to the left (back). Dual fans. Just barely, but doesn't, touch the RAM.

·
OG AMD
9,009 Posts
We want Taiphoon Burner report once it's running . Curious to see the production date. (y)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
doubt this could do 5kc17 super stable @1.575 on 4dimm mobo
Still waiting on the PSU to arrive in the mail, and then I'll be able to test and see. Naturally, the goal's to beat the 4,800 CL17 kit.
Honestly, if it can even do 5,000 CL18, that's kind of good enough. But we shall see. According to latency calculator, I'd need 5085 MHz CL18 to beat it exactly.
This kit is binned for high voltage, so that should yield some promising results? Maybe, I don't know.

Frankly, I'm more optimistic about something like 4,000 CL13 on Gear 1 rather than 5,000 CL17 on Gear 2.
We want Taiphoon Burner report once it's running . Curious to see the production date. (y)
Of course :)

• Rep+
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Invalid Media
5,627 Posts
Good to know. I actually ordered one just now off of AliExpress, but I'm sure it'll take at least 2-3 weeks to arrive. Thanks friend.
FYI in case your AliExpress delivery to Canada gets seriously stuck/delayed, Amazon.ca sells the item below and it is in stock w/ next-day delivery. FYI, I recently picked up a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W PSU, and one of those little PSU adapter caps was part of the peripherals in the package.

Looking forward to see your RAM results ! When you get near 'top speed' of the RAM, you might want to try tighter primaries and 'sacrifice' a few MHz for an additional test just to see how results would differ with Alder Lake.
Product Font Line Rectangle Screenshot

·
Not New to Overclock.net
6,246 Posts
Still waiting on the PSU to arrive in the mail, and then I'll be able to test and see. Naturally, the goal's to beat the 4,800 CL17 kit.
Honestly, if it can even do 5,000 CL18, that's kind of good enough. But we shall see. According to latency calculator, I'd need 5085 MHz CL18 to beat it exactly.
This kit is binned for high voltage, so that should yield some promising results? Maybe, I don't know.

Frankly, I'm more optimistic about something like 4,000 CL13 on Gear 1 rather than 5,000 CL17 on Gear 2.

Of course :)
its the 4dimm mobo the problem bro

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI in case your AliExpress delivery to Canada gets seriously stuck/delayed, Amazon.ca sells the item below and it is in stock w/ next-day delivery. FYI, I recently picked up a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W PSU, and one of those little PSU adapter caps was part of the peripherals in the package.

Looking forward to see your RAM results ! When you get near 'top speed' of the RAM, you might want to try tighter primaries and 'sacrifice' a few MHz for an additional test just to see how results would differ with Alder Lake.
View attachment 2541810
I have one of these with my PSU, but I'm not sure how they can jump start a PC?

·
Registered
266 Posts
IMO Z490 would probably be the most appropriate platform to test this on. Maximus XII Apex bios 0088 with ucode removed, testing for 4800 14-13 1t SP32M and 5000+ 14-14 2t Geek 3.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO Z490 would probably be the most appropriate platform to test this on. Maximus XII Apex bios 0088 with ucode removed, testing for 4800 14-13 1t SP32M and 5000+ 14-14 2t Geek 3.
Sadly, I didn't invest in any platform after Z390 and prior to Z690; I'm not really one of those people who upgrade with every new generation that releases :p
If only Purolator worked on the weekend, I'd probably have the PSU by now... But I guess it'll have to wait until Monday.

On a side note, I might end up swapping the motherboard for the MSI Edge, as I've heard from Carillo (who prebinned this CPU) that he achieved 4,300 CL14 1T on that but not on the Strix. That'll come later I suppose. For now, let's see what BIOS 0901 does for me.

• Rep+
Reactions: YoungChris

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got the PSU today, and after some workspace clean-up, I have the test bench up and running. Jump starting with the PWR SW headers works like a charm.

Initial observations:
  • The Strix Z690 refused to work with my 4K monitor, so I had to use my 1440p monitor instead. Annoying and caused me some worry when I saw that the PC wasn't responding on boot, but apparently it is a known issue. I hope ASUS has addressed/will address this in a future pre-bundled BIOS for their Strix or other Z690 motherboards, and maybe address it in their FAQs online somewhere.
  • The new EVGA 850W G6 PSU "clicks" every time the system boots up or restarts. Not something that I'm used to hearing and not sure if it's any cause for concern, but maybe it's just what new PSUs are like nowadays. My old G2 doesn't do such a thing.

No Internet connected at the moment; Windows 10 Pro installed without license (since it's a test bench). All tracking garbage refused on installation.
It's now time to test XMP, with voltage tweaks.

• PC fails to boot on XMP II (VDIMM is set to 1.60V as expected).
  • I set VDDQ to 1.30V and VCCSA to 1.40V. Training fails.
  • I set VDDQ to 1.40V. Training fails.
  • I set VDDQ to 1.45V and VCCSA to Auto. Fail.
  • I set VDDQ to 1.35V and VCCSA to 1.45V. Fail.
  • XMP I fails. Gear 2 fails.

So at this point, I decide to try Gear 1 4,000 MHz instead.

• VCCSA/VDDQ at 1.35V, 4,000 MHz Gear 1 with 14-14-14-30 boots just fine.
  • Command Rate at 1N doesn't work; not sure how to get 1T working. N:1 and 1 doesn't work either, am I even doing it right?
  • RAM doesn't seem to want to do CL13 at 4,000 MHz.
  • 4,133 MHz @ CL14 boots just fine. Probably ASUS limitation here, as it seems many people hard-wall at 4,133 MHz for Gear 1.
  • BCLK 101.0 for 4,174 MHz @ CL14 boots just fine.
  • Just out of curiosity, 4,800 MHz with 17-19-19-39 G2 fails, even at 1.70V. For a supposedly binned kit, these results are disappointing.

I'm not sure whether or not these poor results are because of the motherboard or the CPU IMC. Or BIOS not being good enough (it can't do 5,000 on XMP after all). I'm definitely getting that suspicion, though. Thinking of swapping over to the MSI Edge at this rate. But I've got some more things to test before doing so.

Anyway, it's getting late, so I'll fiddle around with it more later. Feel free to offer suggestions for stuff to try, and I will.

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I and a few others have tested SR b die and the highest I have seen is 4600 gear 2. Just the way 4 dim MB go like @cstkl1 mentioned.

I have ran 4266c15 1t on SR. For SR bios 707 might work better. 901 worked fine me on SR but someone I was helping with a Strix d4 his didnt like 901 and SR. 707 was better for him.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Try the MSI. Ill bet it doesnt do any better in gear 2. It has been like that every gen. 2 dim MB will clock an easy 2-300+mhz higher vs 4 dim mb.

It is the fact they are 4 dim board not the IMC or your memory bin. About gear 2 not doing 5000+.

Even on z590 Apex and Unify X you had to have a very good IMC and mem to clock over 4800 to 5000+ on b die.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I and a few others have tested SR b die and the highest I have seen is 4600 gear 2. Just the way 4 dim MB go like @cstkl1 mentioned.

I have ran 4266c15 1t on SR. For SR bios 707 might work better. 901 worked fine me on SR but someone I was helping with a Strix d4 his didnt like 901 and SR. 707 was better for him.
Try the MSI. Ill bet it doesnt do any better in gear 2. It has been like that every gen. 2 dim MB will clock an easy 2-300+mhz higher vs 4 dim mb.

It is the fact they are 4 dim board not the IMC or your memory bin. About gear 2 not doing 5000+.

Even on z590 Apex and Unify X you had to have a very good IMC and mem to clock over 4800 to 5000+ on b die.
Got it. So I was right to suspect that it is a motherboard/BIOS issue, not the CPU/RAM. I will try 0707 then. And 0812, since that's in your screenshots.
How do I enable 1T? Is it just Command Rate set to 1N? What primaries did you test for 4,600 MHz?

It definitely felt like the RAM wasn't the bottleneck here; it happily accepted ~4,133 MHz CL14 flat without any issue and simply didn't like going any further beyond.
Haven't tested out 4,600 MHz yet so that's something I should do.

I see, so I shouldn't even bother with swapping to the MSI Edge then, as results would likely be very similar.
I wonder why the Strix/Edge even bother to advertise 5,000+ MHz support then? Only specifically tested Hynix dies, I'm guessing?

On a side note, I forgot to fetch the Thaiphoon readouts. I'll do it the next time I test the system again.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts