Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of conectiong my Hi-fi speakers(with normal hi-fi connections) to onboard audio or a soundcard?
I've searched a bit , but i can't find anything.
I really wanted to do this, so i could have a 4.1 system.....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Xitel Hi-Fi link pro comes to mind (that's what I use)... there is also a new gadget from logitech that lets you stream music from a PC to your highfi in your house....

I don't fully understand the 4.1 concept you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i could buy one....
I would have to link the pc to the amp and then the amp to the speakers right?
Edit:
Right now i'm using a cable to connect the onboard audio to my Hi-FI, i ain't using my pc spekaers

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
to have true 4.1 you would need to get a receiver capable of 5.1 sound that has analogue 6 channel inputs. Then you would need a cable like this
http://creative.com/products/product...&product=14309

alternatively you could get a receiver capable of 5.1 with digital inputs and a sound card with a digital output and then configure the digital out to work on your sound card and then let the receiver do the processing.

I mainly use headphones but I have a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers that I want to hookup and use as well. So, I'm looking for a 2 channel integrated amp to drive them. I'll probably use it as a passthrough before my headphone amp that way both devices can utilize my external DAC

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ummm, so you're plugged in like:

PC --> Conventional Speakers?

or

PC --> Receiver/Integrated Amp --> Conventional Speakers?

And when you say "normal hi-fi connections" do you mean RCA, Digital Coaxial, Optical, XLR?

PS @ Soloz --> Rotel RA-05 is a nice integrated amp, as well as Cambridge Audio 540 (about 350-500 ish?)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using this cable:1st pic
Conected to my pc speakers out:2nd pic
And myhi-fi speakers use this:3rd pic

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok, for reference, the cable depicted in pictures 1 and 2 is a 1/8" stereo miniplug to RCA connector and the 2nd is your run of the mill speaker cable.

What was this tread about?

What are you trying to acheive with adding 2 speakers to your current setup?

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
well to connect your hi-fi speakers to your pc youll need a reciever/amplifier aswell...connect the speakers to the amp like normal...then get a phono lead (the red and white/black to one headphone jack) and just plug that into your soundcard...ive done this with my Denon PMA-250se amp and my 2 jamo studip 170 speakers...and they are crisp with even onboard sound

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah, I think the basic idea is speakers --> receiver if connection is digital, integrated amp if connection is analogue (though a receiver can do both) --> speakers.

So you'll need an AMP. What's the make/model of the speakers? We'll be able to find a suitable amp for them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my point was to have a semi(4.1) 5.1 system without spending big bucks on huge creative or logitech speakers.

PS: Bad news , the optical on my hi-fi is out not in............
I can't plug the soundcard to it trough optical, damn it!

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
if price was your concern you would be better off buying a set of computer speakers.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got it working, trough my hi-fi....
It's better than nothing right?Sound has improved alot, i now just have to get some more wire to get the back speakers on top of the drawer.
I'm working on building my own speakers(possibility) and if i decide i do so , ill probably get an amplifier.
The current system eats 220W and my hi-fi only has 100W , does that mean that i loose quality , or do i loose power(max volume is lower).
Thanks everibody for theyr help!

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Wattage should not be much of a concern. As long as you've got a quality amp/receiver you'll be fine. I run a pair of custom speakers off a 30W class T amp (and a seperate sub/amp) and it's FAR superior to my friends Logitech Z's with their "600W" or whatever they state.

Edit: I noticed that a phono connection was mentioned as an red and white. RCA connections are red and white, while phono is used mainly for old record players. Just didn't want you to go out and buy one.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
yeah you don't need to worry about power so much... it's more important that the power be good clean power. I've seen speakers rated at 225w handle 1000w of clean power before. and likewise 40w from a good amp will suffice

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah but there is the risk of damaging the speakers when you play at high volumes. A quality amp will not distort, but sub-par amplification will be strained as soon as you pump up the volume, outputting distortion.

I'm not saying that a quality 50W amp will kill speakers with a 91db sensitivity and 120W rated power, but speakers with less than 89db can be power hogs.

In general, it's always best to have more power than not enough. Just don't believe the hype of these 1kw monsters which are tested with unrealistic loads.

Jimmy

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoe View Post
In general, it's always best to have more power than not enough. Just don't believe the hype of these 1kw monsters which are tested with unrealistic loads.
That would be the PMPO, advertised as 4000w but in reality its 360w

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Yeah, you've gotta be amused by the advertised PMPO rating versus the actual RMS output.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts