Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided lap my CPU and perhaps the H60 as well.

I sourced the sandpaper from a different place this time, I was still unable to find anything higher than 1000 grit. So I have settled with the following:

150-320-400-1000 grit, lowest to highest. As I said I'm about to start, so pictures and results will follow. For now I will leave you with my un-lapped idle and load temps.

For reference, the ambient temp is 16c in my room (winter here, duh)

Idle:

unlapped-temps-idle.png

Load:

unlapped-temps-load.png

This is overclocked at 4GHz (200x20) with NB at 2.8GHz/1.275v and HT at 2.4Ghz/stock volts.

And here we begin. You can see the marks on the H60, it's not TIM as I've cleaned it with arcticlean prior:

h60-marks.png

The culprit:

cpu-unlapped.png

Starting with the 150 grit:

cpu-150.png

After exposing the copper:

cpu-150-2.png

320 grit:

cpu-320.png

400 grit:

cpu-400.png

1000 grit:

cpu-1k.png

Finished product:

cpu-lapped.png

All back together:

finished.png

Check out the sandpaper:

sandpaper.png

Most of that fine dust is copper from the CPU.

My well deserved treat to myself after all the strenuous work
tongue.gif

dinner.png

As for temperature improvements, I will be busy curing the paste the next two days, but I have already seen a 1c drop to 24c at idle, with fresh paste. Haven't done any load tests yet, but the ambient is still 16c.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just finished the process, applied new paste and booted up. Didn't lap the H60 as it looks fairly reflective already, much like the CPU looks now. Editing pics and uploading soon.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looks like finger topping pizza.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just Domino's, nothing special. But yeah I'm going to be curing this paste for the next day or two, so load and idle temps will be calculated then
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The watercooling folks don't take kindly to these all in one units and the guys in the air cooling forum are like "lol gtho wrong section" so I guess I put it here

It really sucks that I can't find 200grit or higher in this stupid town

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will in the future, but it's difficult to hold flat with those tubes and the rad flapping about. It's hard enough to mount the block once the rad is installed

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;14115655
I will in the future, but it's difficult to hold flat with those tubes and the rad flapping about. It's hard enough to mount the block once the rad is installed
I lapped my h70, just picked the rad up and move it along with the block.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;14108912
So I've decided lap my CPU and perhaps the H60 as well.
Hah, take out that IHS and lap the die if it's not flat !!
I know you will eventually do it if you are crazy about temperature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.