Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I couldn't stop laughing in work. People were like "what are you laughing at"... and since no one is a nerd, I was like... umm.... too much airflow? XD Got some funny looks.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
I shouldn't have wasted my time even looking at beginning of video. :thumbsdow

The movie Dumb and Dumber' comes to mind. He needs to be institutionalized .. and only allowed to communicate with people having double digit IQ levels .. no, make that single digit.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts

The movie Dumb and Dumber' comes to mind. He needs to be institutionalized .. and only allowed to communicate with people having double digit IQ levels .. no, make that single digit.
It's suppose to be light hearted fun.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Problem is while this one is obviously beyond reality, most of what he does is close enough to reality that users without knowledge think he is talking about real things.

Honestly I have to wonder if he even know how stupid some of his suggested what of doing things are. I remember him claiming all radiator fans needed to be pull because if they were push dust and lint collected between fan and radiator. Yet 99% of the time a fan mounted to pull air through a radiators is noisier than push .. unless there is at least a 5mm spacer / shroud between radiator and fan.

I guess it really comes down to I have 0 tolerance for people who often lead the uneducated down the wrong path under the pretense of knowing what they are talking about .. like this idiot often does. :p

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
Honestly I have to wonder if he even know how stupid some of his suggested what of doing things are. I remember him claiming all radiator fans needed to be pull because if they were push dust and lint collected between fan and radiator. Yet 99% of the time a fan mounted to pull air through a radiators is noisier than push .. unless there is at least a 5mm spacer / shroud between radiator and fan.

Cant really argue his point. It might be noisier in pull config rather than push; but he made no mention of noise levels, only reducing dust build up.

Some of his videos are factual or accurate reviews. Others are purely for entertainment. Rather like Top Gear...

·
Registered
287 Posts
While his channel is basically clickbait and commercials now it's a business. He doesn't even come up with the majority of the content now with the staff he has. They built the channel to get sponsorship and views for $$ and are doing quite a good job at that. You don't build business and channel like that by being single digit IQ. Real tech channels don't have anywhere near the viewership as his channel does.

My old h110i gt was also significantly quieter in pull than push. Push had an annoying tone and was quite a bit louder. EKWB said their radiators/fans perform better/quieter in pull than push as well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Problem is while this one is obviously beyond reality, most of what he does is close enough to reality that users without knowledge think he is talking about real things.

I guess it really comes down to I have 0 tolerance for people who often lead the uneducated down the wrong path under the pretense of knowing what they are talking about .. like this idiot often does. :p
I agree with you there, it does lead the uneducated down the wrong path; but I have to look past that as I do find his channel quite entertaining; purely down to the ridiculous stuff he does, like this. Sometimes his obvious lack of knowledge can be amusing too, it's like therapy for me, makes me realise I could probably provide more technically accurate and knowledgeable videos just going off on a rant about something. However, seeing that kind of airflow did give me a good giggle. Especially when the top of the chassis blew off, and that's about the extent at which I even listen to Linus xD!

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Cant really argue his point. It might be noisier in pull config rather than push; but he made no mention of noise levels, only reducing dust build up.

Some of his videos are factual or accurate reviews. Others are purely for entertainment. Rather like Top Gear...
Same amount of dust either way .. the way to avoid dust in radiator or cooler is all filtered case intakes.

I don't think any of his videos are truly factual or accurate reviewing.

While his channel is basically clickbait and commercials now it's a business. He doesn't even come up with the majority of the content now with the staff he has. They built the channel to get sponsorship and views for $$ and are doing quite a good job at that. You don't build business and channel like that by being single digit IQ. Real tech channels don't have anywhere near the viewership as his channel does.

My old h110i gt was also significantly quieter in pull than push. Push had an annoying tone and was quite a bit louder. EKWB said their radiators/fans perform better/quieter in pull than push as well.
Exactly, it's a business using click bait to grab market share .. pure and simple. Exactly, he's a flimflam artist using Carny barking, slight of hand, deception by whatever means possible and of course acting like an idiotic talking head all to draw the unsuspecting viewer in. :D Sure, some of us are smart enough to know 99.9% of it is only good for humor, but too many computer users wanting to learn get drawn into his trap.

Most accurate testing and reviewing sites don't draw many viewers because most viewers are either too naive to know the difference, don't care to know truth or get drawn in by search engine lists that prioritize the listing by hits, not accuracy or content quality.

Interesting, what fans were you using on your |H110? In my defense I did not say all fans were quieter pushing than pulling. :p The reason most are noisier is because impeller is not centered in fan housing, but is closer to intake side than exhaust side because of the motor mounting framework on exhaust side of fan. ;) Oh, and condolences for enduring H110i. :D

I agree with you there, it does lead the uneducated down the wrong path; but I have to look past that as I do find his channel quite entertaining; purely down to the ridiculous stuff he does, like this. Sometimes his obvious lack of knowledge can be amusing too, it's like therapy for me, makes me realise I could probably provide more technically accurate and knowledgeable videos just going off on a rant about something. However, seeing that kind of airflow did give me a good giggle. Especially when the top of the chassis blew off, and that's about the extent at which I even listen to Linus xD!
If you enjoy it as humor more power to you. Like I said, 0 tolerance for idiot know-it-alls' leading the uneducated down the wrong path.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Same amount of dust either way .. the way to avoid dust in radiator or cooler is all filtered case intakes.

I don't think any of his videos are truly factual or accurate reviewing.

Exactly, it's a business using click bait to grab market share .. pure and simple. Exactly, he's a flimflam artist using Carny barking, slight of hand, deception by whatever means possible and of course acting like an idiotic talking head all to draw the unsuspecting viewer in. :D Sure, some of us are smart enough to know 99.9% of it is only good for humor, but too many computer users wanting to learn get drawn into his trap.

Most accurate testing and reviewing sites don't draw many viewers because most viewers are either too naive to know the difference, don't care to know truth or get drawn in by search engine lists that prioritize the listing by hits, not accuracy or content quality.

Interesting, what fans were you using on your |H110? In my defense I did not say all fans were quieter pushing than pulling. :p The reason most are noisier is because impeller is not centered in fan housing, but is closer to intake side than exhaust side because of the motor mounting framework on exhaust side of fan. ;) Oh, and condolences for enduring H110i. :D

If you enjoy it as humor more power to you. Like I said, 0 tolerance for idiot know-it-alls' leading the uneducated down the wrong path.
In my experience most uneducated people, remain uneducated; so in my mind it is as someone else mentioned "light hearted"

At some point in the future, I will make it my mission to provide fun YouTube Video's that go through everything PC related with accurate information, similar to your OCN guide (which 99% of the people asking questions don't bother even reading, I think I've read your guides about 20+ times front to back, I even have it as my home-page ;) it's genuinely that good, and I cannot thank you enough for such a plethora of information).

I'm just waiting to get a mortgage on a house, then I can start setting myself up to do some decent tech reviews etc... I heve zero experience in making YouTube video's but with 15 years IT experience how hard can it really be!

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
I got as far as the opening sequence that stated the video is an ad for Cooler Master. I could only imagine the amount of misinformation in a Linus/CM collaboration. 😛

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Thank you for "getting it". A lot of his videos are pure humor and this one is an example of that (I almost wet myself laughing when the top blew off!). His serious ones are pretty accurate the vast majority of the time. I have seen some where he got something wrong but nobody is perfect. I see a lot of other experts get some things wrong, too, including some here.

·
Overclocker
11,637 Posts

And I thought I'm harsh at LTT for their stupid behavior :D

Plus this video is very old now. They make clickbaits and garbage unfortunately quite a bit, helps them get in advertisement $$$.

I call LTT a comedy show because that's what it is most of the time.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
And I thought I'm harsh at LTT for their stupid behavior :D

Plus this video is very old now. They make clickbaits and garbage unfortunately quite a bit, helps them get in advertisement $$$.

I call LTT a comedy show because that's what it is most of the time.
Comedy is okay but their review testing is so biased it's beyond funny. No sense of reality there. Only thing they seem interested in is notoriety to get more money. Sadly, they are just more obvious in the way the do while many other review sites are more subtle.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts

I am sure most of fans are aware that his experiments are beyond the average person does and that's what gets him the viewers. He has his normal videos where he does reviews but also puts experiments aside to keep his fanbase interested and coming back for more. He's an entertainer and an entertainer likes attention and likes to bring a bring a smile. What's wrong with that?

Thank you for "getting it". A lot of his videos are pure humor and this one is an example of that (I almost wet myself laughing when the top blew off!). His serious ones are pretty accurate the vast majority of the time. I have seen some where he got something wrong but nobody is perfect. I see a lot of other experts get some things wrong, too, including some here.
IMO i think the world needs more laughter even if his jokes are corny and cheesy, I still laugh at them.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
...He's an entertainer and an entertainer likes attention and likes to bring a bring a smile. What's wrong with that?...IMO i think the world needs more laughter even if his jokes are corny and cheesy, I still laugh at them.
Are you spying on my mind? I totally agree!

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
I am sure most of fans are aware that his experiments are beyond the average person does and that's what gets him the viewers. He has his normal videos where he does reviews but also puts experiments aside to keep his fanbase interested and coming back for more. He's an entertainer and an entertainer likes attention and likes to bring a bring a smile. What's wrong with that?

IMO i think the world needs more laughter even if his jokes are corny and cheesy, I still laugh at them.
I disagree, many viewers do not know most of what they produce is untrue and/or grossly inaccurate, including most of their product reviews.

But we can agree he's an entertainer craving attention and goes to any extreme trying to get more attention.

·
Enter Plasma
1,633 Posts
Eh

PS: in case anyone hasn't noticed yet: LTT is mostly entertainment, Techquickie is consumer education.

The reviews in LTT are there mainly for 2 reasons: 1) he gets more products to do entertainment with 2) he likes to geek out on fancy stuff just like any other enthusiast.

He doesn't pretend to be the messiah of computers, nor does he want you to think he's all knowing and all mighty.
If people misunderstand or have different expectations, it's their fault for not turning their damn brains on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts