Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my teacher for college has been teaching a linux admin class from the same book for the past like 5 years.

It was a good book then but its quite a bit outdated. Hell it uses fedora 2 as its reference. And the thing is, the systems we have now in our lab can't even run it cause the hardware is too new. So hes making me run fedora 14, and in 14 run a VM with fedora 9 on it since he lost the 2 cd. So he wants me to see how much of the book above works with 9 in the VM. And he did something like this last year and only about half the stuff works since the commands have changed, things are different etc... compared to the book (2) and fed 9. I've asked him if he has looked at other books, and he says he has. But he says that none do what he wants, which i feel isn't true since there has to be at least 1 text out there that can be comparable or even better to what the above book teaches.

So i was wondering if anyone has some books i can recommend to him that could be a good replacement for the above, since the author hasn't updated that book. Maybe some that you guys have had in class or personally used for learning linux system/network admin stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
the lpic-1 books are pretty good

im prepping for my exam with the Linux+ book by sybex, its only like 40$ and its pretty up to date and very nice information
however it might not be quite as in depth as you want for an "administration" class... it does have quite a bit of administration stuff, but its more of a linux overall kinda thing... and it tries to be vendor neutral because its designed for the lpic-1 test which is vendor neutral

EDIT: for the particular book i mentioned if you want to check it out, isbn: 978-0-470-88845-2

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Check this
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596009526

the ebook was released 2009
although I am curious... in my experience stuff generally gets added on but very little dropped, especially in administration, so what shortcomings are you finding other than hardware support which is easily solved with a custom newer kernel?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2;12992856
Check this
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596009526

the ebook was released 2009
although I am curious... in my experience stuff generally gets added on but very little dropped, especially in administration, so what shortcomings are you finding other than hardware support which is easily solved with a custom newer kernel?
Well unfortunately im not sure, since i have yet to do any of the stuff. But from what i've been told, just the labs don't always work cause the command isn't there or changed along with file paths etc.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Books are good to an extent. They provide you with some basics and practical knowledge, however none of them can provide you something that actual experience does. Granted for your class some of the suggestions above do make sense but in the end experience is far greater. Besides.. what are the chances that you are going to encounter the exact environment listed in your books in a production infrastructure? VERY slim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts