Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here runs linux and what Distro do you use? I am interested in running Linux so What should I run?

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks + Rep

·
Registered
149 Posts
You never mentioned in the thread, but are you talking about running Linux on a pc or a PS3? I ask due to this being a playstation section.
Assuming it is a PS3 you are talking about, Yellow Dog Linux might be worth checking out, it seems to crop up whenever PS3 and Linux are mention, as it was the first distro ported to the PS3. Just a thought. http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/
Ubuntu seems to be getting installed a fair bit now on PS3, so might be worth checking it out as well. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuPS3
I've yet to try either on my PS3, but run ubuntu on my laptop, and its pretty good, they also have a huge forum worth of advice (always handy).

cheers Oz

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have Ubuntu on an old lapp, and it runs great. Very easy to use to, i suggest you try that one out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It depends alot on you. I see 99.99% of the OC guys run Winbloze. If you want a Linux that's like Winbloze, I suggest not using Linux at all.

Linux is for guys who like to tweak software and their OS as much as they like to tweak hardware. If that's you, there is no finer distro in the world than Slackware.

Like OZ_SCO said are you asking about PS3 in particular. If so you have very limited choices and be ready to spend money or time or both.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
I've used a few different distros over the years, ubuntu, madriva, mint, slackware...I've since given up on linux, too much hassle for not enough gain, I just run win2k on most older systems now.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertFox
View Post

It depends alot on you. I see 99.99% of the OC guys run Winbloze. If you want a Linux that's like Winbloze, I suggest not using Linux at all.

Linux is for guys who like to tweak software and their OS as much as they like to tweak hardware. If that's you, there is no finer distro in the world than Slackware.

Like OZ_SCO said are you asking about PS3 in particular. If so you have very limited choices and be ready to spend money or time or both.

Spend money...money on what? Spending time = hassle, see below

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertFox
View Post

What hassle? I can install Slackware in about 20 minutes.

Good for you, installing the OS is the easy part... Its the part where you need to install drivers for your wifi card, printer, camera, phone (tethering) graphic drivers and things like that, that make it a hassle for alot of people. Unless you have them on stand by than its no hassle at all.

OT
I would just do what OZ_SCO said. Try Yellow Dog than try Ubuntu and go from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
What hassle? I can install Slackware in about 20 minutes.
lol, I used to be a hardcore linux user, but I switched to windows because linux configurations break if you look at it funny and talk with a stern voice. same happens in windows but you can just reboot or restore and it will work again, with linux you spend 4 hours playing the game: HUNT THE LIBRARY or HUNT THE .CONF FILE THAT REALLY SHOULD BE IN /ETC.
I still use linux but on a more experimental basis (keep a copy of arch linux in the dvd tray at all times) and for projects tht windows isnt flexible enough for.

In theory Linux is a working ecosystem.
In practise its nowhere near.

also arch installs in about 10 mins if you use a fast mirror. uk2.net for me

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistum Id
View Post

Spend money...money on what? Spending time = hassle, see below

You didn't read my post. I said if he was talking about the PS3 it's going to be money (Yellow is not free) or time (Gentoo) or both. Linux is not a hassle, certainly less of a hassle than endless confirmation popups "OK"?

Plus what kind of attitude is that. By your definition anything in life is a hassle. Everything takes time and money. The point is spending your time and money more wisely than people who never bother to learn how to do anything right. My dad always said anything worth doing is worth doing right. If you want the fastest PC or the fastest car or the best OS setup you have to spend time and money. Its alot better than being one of the walking dead Windoze victims or guys driving stock rides.

Quote:

View Post

Good for you, installing the OS is the easy part... Its the part where you need to install drivers for your wifi card, printer, camera, phone (tethering) graphic drivers and things like that, that make it a hassle for alot of people. Unless you have them on stand by than its no hassle at all.

I've been Windows free for about five years. I know if you don't want to know anything about what you're doing and just use something that usually works with your hardware you can keep using Windows. Saying Linux is a hassle just means you don't want to get your hands dirty. I'm surprised to hear this attitude from overclockers who I thought would always be into getting the best to run in hardware and software. If it were a no-brainer, anybody could do it, right

Quote:

View Post

I would just do what OZ_SCO said. Try Yellow Dog than try Ubuntu and go from there.

Yellow Dog probably is worth trying. Ubuntu definitely not unless you like being protected from yourself like on Windows. If that's all the Linux you guys ever see then I'm not surprised you think it's a hassle. You get the same aggravating obfuscation between you and your machine as you do with Windows.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog_Racer
View Post

lol, I used to be a hardcore linux user, but I switched to windows because linux configurations break if you look at it funny and talk with a stern voice. same happens in windows but you can just reboot or restore and it will work again, with linux you spend 4 hours playing the game: HUNT THE LIBRARY or HUNT THE .CONF FILE THAT REALLY SHOULD BE IN /ETC.
I still use linux but on a more experimental basis (keep a copy of arch linux in the dvd tray at all times) and for projects tht windows isnt flexible enough for.

In theory Linux is a working ecosystem.
In practise its nowhere near.

also arch installs in about 10 mins if you use a fast mirror. uk2.net for me

This is the same kind of non-logic like that guy who came on here and said overclocking is stupid just because he used some POS software overclocking program that jacked up his voltage till his system was unstable and all he got was 10%. You're not in a position to start bashing something until you understand it.

If you don't know how to set something up don't be surprised if it breaks. I'm a developer and I bet I have more production hours using my boxes than you and all your buddies and my configuration never broke. It's rock stable, no BSOD, no Windows rubbish. "Your computer will reboot now, OK?" Click OK dude

But I had to put in the time learning it. I didn't cry about it, I just figured it out and learned from guys who knew how it's done.

Sounds like you're just complaining about stuff because you don't have the time or interest. That's fine, but the problem is not Linux. It's people who think Windows is a real OS and don't understand the benefits of an OS or what you should expect and what you shouldn't. If you want a GUI gaming platform on your PC, then use Winbloze. If you want a real OS there are a few good ones to choose from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts