Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mint 17.3 system has a 950 and a 750ti installed. Nvidia driver 361.28. Everything works fine with a monitor plugged in. But if I run it headless, when I reattach a monitor it comes up with a black screen. I have had to restore the system twice now from backup because I couldn't get past the no display issue. It seems like something gets reconfigured when the system starts up with no monitor attached, but I have no clue what it might be. Any of you Linux experts have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Is the black screen a blinking cursor after the grub menu? If so, you can load a one time grub configuration to get into a workable desktop environment, and then you can start-x and the driver should load. Pretty much the same procedure as loading the NVIDIA drivers after deleting and black-listing the nouveau drivers.

I am just getting back into the swing of things on Linux after a few years of only running Windows machines, so I will have to do a bit of searching to get you a better solution. I know that you could reconfigure your xorg.conf to run headless, and then run a script to pick up the monitor whenever you hook one up.

As @Tex1954 said above, a simple no frills alternative would be to just leave a dummy plug in one of the cards, so it always thinks it has a monitor attached.

Not the most helpful post, but I know there is a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

For Linux later versions, you need to boot with a monitor attached or with a VGA Dummy plug attached. Ever since Ubuntu 10.10 or so (IIRC), the EDIF is no longer simulated and the X-Org drivers won't load without it.

biggrin.gif
This was working a month ago, something changed. I don't have this issue on my server either but that is Ubuntu 16.04. But you have given me an idea about updating that xorg config file and seeing if it fixes anything, I never added all the cool bits stuff after the last rebuild and entries for the second monitor so I could overclock the GPUs. I will give it a go tomorrow and not interrupt the FAT stuff today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts