Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is something out that works like a regular linux live boot cd that has other useful utility's like clamav with graphical interfaces that can be updated?

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
You can always build your own LiveCD with everything you need on it.

There's also PortableApps.com, works like a second start menu. Has what you described but can only be used from inside Windows.

EDIT: There's also a disk that floats around the internet that has many utilities and boots itself. But I do not speak it's name here. Some of the software is licensed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I dont really know how to make my own live boot cd I have looked at a few ways but I dont really know what im doing.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: 0ptic0n

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
The great thing about Linux is that you can actually see what's wrong using dmesg or the monitor output, so there's no need to bring out diagnostics tools.
Alternatively you can hook up a serial cable to the computer running Linux and get the output from it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here's what I have worked out so far and it seems to be doing the trick nicely needs more testing I only have a few pc's around works on them all. First I downloaded fedora 12 live boot cd. Then I downloaded liveusb creator

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

Used it to make a live boot with usb drive and reserved space so that I could save program changes. Next thing was to connect it to another pc boot from the usb device fedora booted nicely used add/remove to download clamav and clamtk. After that configured the freshclam.conf file removed example entry opened terminal su - logged in as root and ran freshclam so it could update that worked.

After that was done I could now launch clamav from the gnome app's panel scan any other hardrive thats mounted fedora seems to auto mounts drives it detects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts