Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What really is the difference amongst all the Linux distros? They all use the same kernel, right? So they got the same "base/core." Then you got your desktop manager(s), which are like KDE, GNOME, etc. So Linux is basically the kernel coupled with the desktop manager? Then what's the point of these hundreds of distros? Just seems like they got a different name on em.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>The Hundred Gunner</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">What really is the difference amongst all the Linux distros? They all use the same kernel, right? So they got the same "base/core." Then you got your desktop manager(s), which are like KDE, GNOME, etc. So Linux is basically the kernel coupled with the desktop manager? Then what's the point of these hundreds of distros? Just seems like they got a different name on em.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>They all use the same kernel, but most distro's customize the kernel a bit to their liking. The also add a Desktop Environment/Window manager.<br />
Also the apps they include, some them are customized a bit. Like OpenOffice.org on SuSE, then change a few things about the way it behaves and the icons and that. Its just a bunch of little things that are changed.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So will any piece of software that's supposed to run on one distro run on another? Or is that a "sometimes" thing?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Depends on the software and what your getting it as. <br />
Example: an RPM file isn't going to work on Ubuntu. It may if you add that support to it but screw that.<br />
It the file is however .tar.gz then it can work on any. Thats one reason I dislike package manager. Sure they can make things easier, it sucks when you find something you want to try and you can only find it as an RPM and your using Gentoo. If everyone used the same package manager then it'd be great.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Hundred Gunner

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>dangerousHobo</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Depends on the software and what your getting it as.<br>
Example: an RPM file isn't going to work on Ubuntu. It may if you add that support to it but screw that.<br>
It the file is however .tar.gz then it can work on any. Thats one reason I dislike package manager. Sure they can make things easier, it sucks when you find something you want to try and you can only find it as an RPM and your using Gentoo. If everyone used the same package manager then it'd be great.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
You can still make rpm files work for Debian (not sure if it's true the other way around) based Distros. It's a "hard" and long process, but it can be done. However, I agree with you one the same package manager thing; things would be so much easier.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Other words, Get linux! Haha

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I'm afraid that only you as the user can effectively judge each distro. One of the really fun things about Linux is the ability to try different makes.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Melcar</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I'm afraid that only you as the user can effectively judge each distro. One of the really fun things about Linux is the ability to try different makes.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Definatly. That's half the fun! <br />
<br />
The other cool thing about Linux is that nothing is ever set in stone. Sure, you may have downloaded Ubuntu with Gnome, but you can add KDE, XFCE, Compiz, Beryl, or all 4! Looking for erven better performance? Download a patch like CK-Sources that tweaks and optimizes yourcurrent kernel for higher speed. The possabilities are limited only by your hard drive sace.<br />
<br />
So while the distro's themselves are only slightly different in most cases, nothing ever ends up being the close to the same becasuse everybody customizes something different.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the only differences between distros are, hardware detection (how well it detects your hardware when you first install it), and package management.<br />
<br />
each distro has their own way of managing packages... (installing, and removing apps).<br />
<br />
one more thing is the community... this is important cause it's basically you're "free help desk", the ubuntu community is huge, ubuntu is the most popular distro right now, because it's so easy. the gentoo community is the best for answering any kind of question "for almost any distro", they are hackers and can help you with even the most technical of issues. and they are fast, i usually get a reply within minutes... even ubuntu people swing by to get their issues resolved. forums.gentoo.org was nominated for 3 different categories in Linux Format magazine, for 'greatest linux resource' and even went up against google as a informational resource.. it won 1.<br />
<br />
so take a look at the community, and their project, how fast it grows. so you know that if you have the newest craziest piece of hardware, how long you'll have to wait till your community/distro finds a way for it to work. <br />
<br />
<br />
and i always thought that every other distro uses vanilla-kernel lol.<br />
<br />
gentoo people like to run all the other insane kernels with reiser4 and stuff. i run nitro-sources with reiser4...<br />
<br />
so there's actually a big difference in distros.<br />
<br />
gl hf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts