Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and set up a linux machine for folding and had some questions about drivers. Nvidia has two Linux options Linux 64bit and AArch64, I'm not sure which one of those would be correct for Ubuntu Server (going to be a remote access machine). Also, is there a specific nvidia driver I should look for to get maximum folding performance? I have a 1080ti and a 1070 that I plan to use in the machine.

For cpu and mobo I have a Z68/i5 and an X470/2700x. I'm not sure which one of those would be the easiest to use, both are collecting dust right now so I can use either one. Main thing is driver availability and ease of setup since I was only planning on doing gpu folding. I'm not against buying hardware to get it done though, I also have a i3 9100 on a H370 mini itx board that I could buy another board for.

My linux experience is minimal and none of it was recent. The linux guide hasn't had a post since 2017 so I figured I would just start a new thread for my questions. I am completely open to suggestions because I have no idea what I am doing.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,787 Posts
AArch64 is for ARM, so not that one :D

both platforms should be easy to setup unless something specific doesn't have a driver, but given they're both recent platforms I'd doubt it. Use whatever you want.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,024 Posts
AArch64 is for ARM, so not that one :D

both platforms should be easy to setup unless something specific doesn't have a driver, but given they're both recent platforms I'd doubt it. Use whatever you want.

Yep. As long as drivers are available for both, I'd go for whichever one is the most power efficient - probably the z68/i5. The x470/2700x would be better used as a freebie gaming build base for a friend or family member who could get some use from it. It's a lot of CPU to be tucked off in a folding box.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
drivers for chipset arent really needed, nVidia is one of the better cards to choose when it comes to [email protected] on linux. I ran dual gtx 1080's for a few months on ubuntu headless, and I noticed that the primary gpu that would be driving a display would actually never reach 3d closck, I had to use a "headless HDMI dongle" to trick it into 3d mode.. also coolbits 24

PS: if you need to know about AMD folding on linux, i'm in the process of writing up something.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will grab one of those dongles, headless would be ideal.

Will running x8-x8 on the pci-e 2.0 Z68 be an issue for the 1080ti and 1070?

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
I will grab one of those dongles, headless would be ideal.

Will running x8-x8 on the pci-e 2.0 Z68 be an issue for the 1080ti and 1070?
no, x4 and x1 with risers are the only issue, x4 is like a 20% loss, x1 is like 35% loss in ppd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts