Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to replace a hard drive in my laptop, I don't want to pay for windows so I thought that I would go for a linux install. my wife really disliked the last linux system we had. What linux should I go with that most resembles windows to appease the wife?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Mint (cinnamon) would be my recommendation. But if she can try something a little different ElementaryOS is my favourite flavour of linux.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Honestly, if you are both new to Linux, I'd suggest either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Mint more closely resembles windows though. I use Mint on my work laptop and Ubuntu for my media desktop.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
You could get an .ISO of Windows 7 or 8.1 (whichever you'd prefer) and just use the slmgr -rearm command 3 times (once at the end of each 30-day period for activation) to get a total of 120 days for free - 4 months. This should, I hope, provide ample time to save up for 7 Home Premium or 8.1 Pro. Why 8.1 Pro? You'd need it for the tweaks that you may want to make using the Local Security Policy editor (secpol.msc).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

You could get an .ISO of Windows 7 or 8.1 (whichever you'd prefer) and just use the slmgr -rearm command 3 times (once at the end of each 30-day period for activation) to get a total of 120 days for free - 4 months. This should, I hope, provide ample time to save up for 7 Home Premium or 8.1 Pro. Why 8.1 Pro? You'd need it for the tweaks that you may want to make using the Local Security Policy editor (secpol.msc).
its not that we don't have the money its that we don't want to spend $100-1$50 for an operating system used for surfing the web and playing youtube videos.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant View Post

its not that we don't have the money its that we don't want to spend $100-1$50 for an operating system used for surfing the web and playing youtube videos.
Oh! I agree with that! Absolutely.

I'm clueless when it comes to Linux, so I shall respectfully and gracefully bow out.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Sheesh if that's all you need to do then you probably are better off with Android. It'll be less aggravating for you and you won't end up hating Linux for dumb reasons like most people who come over with the whole "why isn't it free Windows" mentality. I'm not saying anything about you or your knowledge; I'm just saying that unless you need to do more or want to actually learn how to do things in a Linux distro it isn't worth the potential "work" that seems to happen with a lot of people who come over out of somewhat desperate measures (IE money issues). Throw an Android x86 image on there and problem solved (unless you have a computer that isn't using Intel GPUs). Hopefully, I got it across that I'm worried not that you couldn't handle things; but that you'd have the wrong expectations (or the wife would).

That said...if the wife is so dead set on Windows you could always prank her and get a OSX style DE setup and claim you got her an Apple product. Women for some reason love that damn company and the best part is most can't tell the difference.
wink.gif
Another idea is explain to her how a "runner" works and teach her the hot key. Then all she has to do is start typing the name of program she wants and hit enter and poof. I can't imagine anything simpler/easier than that (hence why I use runners). But LXDE is always there for the XP nostalgic people (at least until Wayland and their Qt changeover).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Sheesh if that's all you need to do then you probably are better off with Android. It'll be less aggravating for you and you won't end up hating Linux for dumb reasons like most people who come over with the whole "why isn't it free Windows" mentality. I'm not saying anything about you or your knowledge; I'm just saying that unless you need to do more or want to actually learn how to do things in a Linux distro it isn't worth the potential "work" that seems to happen with a lot of people who come over out of somewhat desperate measures (IE money issues). Throw an Android x86 image on there and problem solved (unless you have a computer that isn't using Intel GPUs). Hopefully, I got it across that I'm worried not that you couldn't handle things; but that you'd have the wrong expectations (or the wife would).

That said...if the wife is so dead set on Windows you could always prank her and get a OSX style DE setup and claim you got her an Apple product. Women for some reason love that damn company and the best part is most can't tell the difference.
wink.gif
Another idea is explain to her how a "runner" works and teach her the hot key. Then all she has to do is start typing the name of program she wants and hit enter and poof. I can't imagine anything simpler/easier than that (hence why I use runners). But LXDE is always there for the XP nostalgic people (at least until Wayland and their Qt changeover).
not sure if you were intending on it or not but pretty sure most of that comes across as offensive. Thanks for the suggestion though

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

not sure if you were intending on it or not but pretty sure most of that comes across as offensive. Thanks for the suggestion though
Welcome to the Linux community. :)

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Wasn't my intention.
redface.gif
Could you help me understand were I was because I know I have a horrible time communicating and would like the feedback. I thought I made it clear I wasn't saying anything about you; I was talking about how often most of us here have come across people who keep expecting "free windows" and "it works this way in windows so if it doesn't in Linux then Linux is stupid" and they turn pretty confrontational when they get told that "Linux isn't Windows so don't expect it to act and do the same things".
Quote:

Welcome to the Linux community.
smile.gif
What Linux community have you been around? They sound terrible. If I can get away with asking some rather boneheaded ideas and not get scolded I think anyone can. Just know some places like the Arch forums do expect some Google-Fu and actual research on your part before you ask a question. Most however don't.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

Wasn't my intention.
redface.gif
Could you help me understand were I was because I know I have a horrible time communicating and would like the feedback. I thought I made it clear I wasn't saying anything about you; I was talking about how often most of us here have come across people who keep expecting "free windows" and "it works this way in windows so if it doesn't in Linux then Linux is stupid" and they turn pretty confrontational when they get told that "Linux isn't Windows so don't expect it to act and do the same things".
What Linux community have you been around? They sound terrible. If I can get away with asking some rather boneheaded ideas and not get scolded I think anyone can. Just know some places like the Arch forums do expect some Google-Fu and actual research on your part before you ask a question. Most however don't.
My limited experience combined with what others have told me leads me to believe that in general, newbies are treated poorly more often than they are in general communities like OCN as a whole. But hey, I suppose it could also be one's perception of the response as well.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

My limited experience combined with what others have told me leads me to believe that in general, newbies are treated poorly more often than they are in general communities like OCN as a whole. But hey, I suppose it could also be one's perception of the response as well.
Trust me...if you hit the Arch forums or LinuxQuestions when certain users are there and ask a "dumb" question you can certainly get belittled. Happened to me once or twice. I however just took it as I goofed and after doing the cursory things asked they warmed up a little. Most of the time the majority will just remind you to do a little work so you can ask a better and more useful question that they can then help you with quicker. It's really no different than some of the Windows communities I've seen around the net...a variety of people and a variety of interactions are bound to happen.

But in general the biggest problem is trying to get people to understand that they are no longer on Windows and therefore need to be willing to do things a different way. They may actually find that new way far "easier/better". And at least in Linux we have the ability to choose what works for us. I can't believe how many people had issues with just the GUI of Win8.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
If it's a fairly new laptop, Mint 16's Cinnamon variant, which is functionally a lot like pre-8 Windows. If it's an older laptop, say C2D or older, Puppy Linux is very Windows-like and requires less hardware to run well. I'm typing this on a Dell D830 lappy right now, running Slacko Puppy 5.7. And it flies; you'd never know this was a seven-year-old machine.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

I think we are going to go with mint cinnamon. what would be the best way to go about the install? CD or usb?
Shouldn't matter unless you have a computer that can't boot from USB which would be extremely unlikely. If you want to install through USB I'd recommend using something like either of the following
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Both have directions and if you need help there are plenty here that will try to help you. And the others aren't as socially as deficient as I am.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Shouldn't matter unless you have a computer that can't boot from USB which would be extremely unlikely. If you want to install through USB I'd recommend using something like either of the following
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Both have directions and if you need help there are plenty here that will try to help you. And the others aren't as socially as deficient as I am.
thumb.gif
lol

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I hate to say, but if you're trying to replace windows with Linux and are going to have windows-expectations, you will most likely end up disappointed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts