Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
graphically intensive games for linux? cant seem to find them anywhere. Also why don't devs develop for linux?

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
As already said, ET:QW.

Devs don't devlop for Linux because 99.9999% of people run Winblows.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
That's a server.
Every game has a Linux version if you consider a server a game....
It should, because BF2142 runs on those paid licensed *nix servers.

It works, have fun.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
It should, because BF2142 runs on those paid licensed *nix servers.

It works, have fun.
No...it's only a server. A dedicated server.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
I heard something about Unreal 3...I don't know if they ever came out with it though

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

OP asked for Linux games, not Windows games that can be emulated well...

Then he's out, much like Mac users.

Games are godawfully expensive to make (AAA titles are costing $50,000,000+), and *nix users don't pay for the upkeep (nor are there enough users to justify porting it -- hard enough to get any decent PC port now).

At this rate games will be reduced to XBox and Playstation.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Makes me hate Microsoft more and more for their stupid DirectX. But Linux has very few major titles.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
Linux, Free OS.... games, expensive as all heck to make (as pointed out by other posters)..

What does Linux have 5% penetration for people using it as their main OS?

That's your answer man, if they can't sell it to make it profitable - and Linux is not a money maker for the consumer market...then they're not gonna port these games, simple as that.

Nothing against Linux, it has it's purposes. And I bet it would make a great platform since it's probably 1/100th as hardware hoggish as Vista...leaving all that beauty and power to the games....but unfortunately I don't see it ever becoming mainstream.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Thing is its perfectly possible to write code that will work on both systems, all that would be required is a recompile for that system. The code itself wouldn't need changing. Using cross platforms libs like SDL combined with OpenGL and you have games that will run on linux or windows.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.