Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Android uses the 'real' Linux kernel, but yes you can boot 'real' Linux distributions off Android devices. You'll have to reformat your SD card though.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thanks.

Is it possible to throw on an OS like slack and retain my phone functions somehow?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCatMk2 View Post
You don't just throw an OS on a device like that and expect anything to work. See if there's any guides/builds for what you want to do.
Haha forgive me I was feeling lazy today.

Thank you everyone!

·

29,532 Posts
The phone should be ARM based rather than x86 based, so you can't just go ahead and install any distribution - they need to be ARM compatible. Debian has a distribution like this, but the phone feature is unlikely to work.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Na, you can get Debian working alongside Android with a chroot and using a VNC viewer app for X.
Like I said, the only thing that's kept me from doing this was the fact that you have to partition your sdcard. The sdcards that come with the phones are very poor quality and I wouldn't bother fooling with them. I'd recommend you go out and buy a class 6.

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

Na, you can get Debian working alongside Android with a chroot and using a VNC viewer app for X.
Like I said, the only thing that's kept me from doing this was the fact that you have to partition your sdcard. The sdcards that come with the phones are very poor quality and I wouldn't bother fooling with them. I'd recommend you go out and buy a class 6.

You can also use chvt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts