Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am having trouble fiding 64 bit lunux live cds know any?

also can i partion a hardrive without formating it

·
Registered
764 Posts
ubuntu have live 64bit cd's as for the formating thing, no as far as i know you will have to format.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can check if there is a 64bit version of that around if you want, but you can run 32bit versions on a 64bit processor, just to tell you.

·
Registered
764 Posts
oh yea i know, just thought you might not have know that 64bit cpu's are 32bit compatible, otherwise windows would be no use right now lol

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Most major distros have 64bit versions. They all let you resize your Windows partition if you're installing it on the same drive.

• Rep+
Reactions: lith

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lith View Post
oh well then i guess i cant run FreeBSD 64 bit which i hear is uber fast
You can get FreeBSD 64bit version. There aren't any live CDs of FreeBSD though that I know of.
I don't think you'll find to many Live CDs that are 64 bit either.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don't reccomend any linux that is 64 bit besides gentoo. Stick with 32 as there are too many issues with distros that use precompiled software..

NO you dont have to COMPLETELY format.. Use a Live CD (I use the ubuntu one) Open the partition editor (Like gparted on ubuntu..) And SHRINK the windows partition. They you got free space to use.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
why use a live CD that's 64 bit? you realize that the whole OS is bottlenecked by the slowest part in your computer? Your CD-Rom.....*****. Just make a small partition, and try it out.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Guess I spoke to soon in my last post. There is a FreeBSD liveCD, just came out. Link. I don't know if it actually has a desktop though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts