Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a little writeup that i've done (a while ago)

this will install latest nvidia drivers and OpenCL
Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
ubuntu-drivers list    (should have nvidia-450)
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-450
sudo apt install ocl-icd-libopencl1
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
now for [email protected]
Code:
wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-stable-64bit/v7.6/fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb
wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-stable-64bit/v7.6/fahcontrol_7.6.21-1_all.deb
wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahviewer/debian-stable-64bit/v7.6/fahviewer_7.6.21_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i --fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i --fahcontrol_7.6.21-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i --fahviewer_7.6.21_amd64.deb
sudo chmod 755 /etc/fahclient/config.xml
cd /
cd /etc/fahclient/
sudo nano config.xml (change your stuff, ctrl-o to write out)
sudo reboot

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start (to start it)
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop (to stop it)

·
I <3 narcissists
6,715 Posts
Does CUDA get installed with the drivers like it does with windows?

I added the full CUDA package manually not knowing it was going to be such a big download when I started. It would be great to not download that again if it's in the driver.

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does CUDA get installed with the drivers like it does with windows?

I added the full CUDA package manually not knowing it was going to be such a big download when I started. It would be great to not download that again if it's in the driver.
AFAIK it does, its part of the driver

·
Once more into the Fold
2,920 Posts
Must be part of the drivers, I did not need to install it manually on either of my Ubuntu rigs. The only issue I had installing 18.04 awhile back was the python dependency errors.

Nice write up Cerberus. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • Rep+
Reactions: Bastiaan_NL

·
Once more into the Fold
2,920 Posts
nvidia x server which is installed with the drivers and then coolbits 28 to enable fan and overclocking in x server. Then if you want you can create a start program that will automatically sets the same OC and fan speed every time the PC is started.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,715 Posts
I gotta do that, I want to crank fans so I can get the most out of boost. Do any of them allow you to set the power target like with afterburner? Crank up fans and max the power slider, that is the extent of my overclocking now.

·
Rig Advisor
2,849 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the info. Following, will refer to this when I have time to experiment.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,920 Posts
I gotta do that, I want to crank fans so I can get the most out of boost. Do any of them allow you to set the power target like with afterburner? Crank up fans and max the power slider, that is the extent of my overclocking now.
I have not done it personally, but you should be able to use nvidia-smi in the terminal; i.e. "sudo nvidia-smi -pl xxx" xxx being the power limit you want

EDIT: the power limit is in watts, not a percentage like in afterburner

·
I <3 narcissists
6,715 Posts
While we are on the subject of linux (maybe specifically ubuntu)... if I install a .deb application and it does not give me an icon, how do I go about finding/starting/initializing that application?

I tried installing a beta fahcontrol that is made to work with python 3 but I didn't get an icon to start it up like I did with the standard fahcontrol. It's from github so I am totally lost with trying to find information, a user mentioned having to initialize from terminal but I only know how to do that when I have the path and file name.

I don;t have the direct link with me here at work but the file is called
python3-fahcontrol_7.7.0-1_all.deb
if that helps

·
Once more into the Fold
2,920 Posts
In ubuntu

If it was installed properly the icon would be in your applications folder
usr/share/applications

You can start, stop or check the status with the following;
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient status

If you download the file to your home/ folder you can just run the dpkg command

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends python3-fahcontrol_7.7.0_all.deb

Why are you trying that beta version instead of the standard download? What version of Ubuntu?

·
sudo apt install sl
8,138 Posts
Easiest way would be to use the docker container which can run on any distro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts