Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running Fedora 10 x64 on my black MacBook[2,1] (summer 2007). Installation process went like this:

1. Repartition in OSX using Disk Utility (to whatever, could be an OSX partition or a FAT32 partition)
2. Pop in Fedora disk
3. Reboot and hold down the Alt/Option key
4. Choose to boot from the installation disk
5. Just go through the installation process as you would on a PC, but reformat the new partition to ext3 or whatever Linux partition you like, and create a swap partition. Just note that the trackpad didn't seem to work. You can just tab through and it'll work just fine, or you can plug in a USB mouse, which is what I did.
6. Reboot the computer
7. Boom, everything is recognized. Wireless worked right off the bat, my hotkeys (volume, brightness, etc) all work...

So now all I have to do to boot Linux is hold Alt at startup and choose the partition. rEFIt doesn't seem to be needed. Other distros seem to not like to boot with the EFI for whatever reason, like the last time I tried Ubuntu, and even memtest86 (although the memtest86 from the Fedora DVD works, even though it gives false positives for whatever reason).

Anyway, just thought some people might like to know.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jrice00 and SZayat

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh, well that was quick... I got rid of it already. The trackpad was acting really whacky (I had to press really hard to get it to recognize input), and I couldn't adjust its speed or turn off clicking and enable "ignore accidental input." Also, loading compiz made the system hang without any ability to ctrl + alt + bksp. And when I did a reinstall and did KDE as default instead of GNOME, my hotkeys for backlight and volume didn't work.

So I guess the moral of the story is that you can definitely get it to work if you're willing to put more time into it than I am lol -_-

Oh, and if you make a swap partition, OSX won't be able to mount it to delete it; it'll be stuck until you wipe the entire drive if you're trying to get rid of Linux. It's a good thing I made a carbon copy of my HDD before messing around.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner
View Post

Sigh, well that was quick... I got rid of it already. The trackpad was acting really whacky (I had to press really hard to get it to recognize input), and I couldn't adjust its speed or turn off clicking and enable "ignore accidental input." Also, loading compiz made the system hang without any ability to ctrl + alt + bksp. And when I did a reinstall and did KDE as default instead of GNOME, my hotkeys for backlight and volume didn't work.

So I guess the moral of the story is that you can definitely get it to work if you're willing to put more time into it than I am lol -_-

Oh, and if you make a swap partition, OSX won't be able to mount it to delete it; it'll be stuck until you wipe the entire drive if you're trying to get rid of Linux. It's a good thing I made a carbon copy of my HDD before messing around.

I know nothing about Macs, except they only have one mouse button, but can you hook up an IBM compatible USB keyboard and have Linux recognize it for the extra keystrokes?

·
Registered
406 Posts
im running vista ultimate x64 on my macbook pro 2.2ghz with no osx at all (my wife absolutly refuses to adopt anything but windows) and it works just as well as my desktop. disabled the trackpad and using a microsoft 3 button lappy mouse. hell this macbook even games semi decently.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacre
View Post

I know nothing about Macs, except they only have one mouse button, but can you hook up an IBM compatible USB keyboard and have Linux recognize it for the extra keystrokes?

In OSX and windows, you can set it up so that you press the button with 2 fingers on the mouse pad, and that = right-click. But yeah, I can use a USB mouse, but most of the time I don't want to when I'm on the go -_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bose Einstein Condensate
View Post

im running vista ultimate x64 on my macbook pro 2.2ghz with no osx at all (my wife absolutly refuses to adopt anything but windows) and it works just as well as my desktop. disabled the trackpad and using a microsoft 3 button lappy mouse. hell this macbook even games semi decently.

If you need to use the trackpad outside of the house when you don't have the mouse, you should be able to enable the 2-finger + click thing for right-click if you have the drivers stuff installed. You probably knew that, though.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Quote:
And when I did a reinstall and did KDE as default instead of GNOME, my hotkeys for backlight and volume didn't work.
I noticed this when installing Fedora 10 on my PC lappy... with GNOME all is fine, but when I installed KDE backlight + sound hotkeys stopped working. The backlight still dims when unlugged etc..

I wonder what's up with that?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
I noticed this when installing Fedora 10 on my PC lappy... with GNOME all is fine, but when I installed KDE backlight + sound hotkeys stopped working. The backlight still dims when unlugged etc..

I wonder what's up with that?
This should be a system thing rather than a DE thing, I would think, right? Apparently not.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Hey! Glad to see others putting Linux on their Intel Macs!

I have Ubuntu 7.10 on my first gen MBP and everything works beautifully. The only issue I was having was with the ATI drivers because of the MBP's x1600pro card. I even got the hotkeys for backlighting, volume and keyboard illumination working.

Here is a link that can help you get started w/ your install! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzy4 View Post
Hey! Glad to see others putting Linux on their Intel Macs!

I have Ubuntu 7.10 on my first gen MBP and everything works beautifully. The only issue I was having was with the ATI drivers because of the MBP's x1600pro card. I even got the hotkeys for backlighting, volume and keyboard illumination working.

Here is a link that can help you get started w/ your install! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately for me, the system stops responding after getting to the CD menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dskina View Post
THG, of all the modern OS's, what can't be installed on a Mac (let's say your Macbook)?
Hmm... Possibly vista/XP/windows x64 OSs. They will probably install using the above method, but I don't think anyone has made drivers. I'll try installing my vista x64 next weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
On the PPC Macs, its almost easier, you just hold down C, and it boots the cd.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
On the PPC Macs, its almost easier, you just hold down C, and it boots the cd.
That works for x86 macs as well, but I think most Linux distros are phasing out PPC. I think Ubuntu got rid of it, and Fedora doesn't have it anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts