Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i just installed opensuse 11.0 on my sig rig and all was well.
I started poking round the menues looking to change the resolution, i came accros Desktop effects and theere was a tick box to enable them.
I clicked this box and turnd a few on (cant remember what ones) then clicked accept.

The screen then went black, i dident think this was a big deal and then started to wait assuming that after 15-20 secs it would revert back to my old settings, it did not.

Every time i boot into linux i just get a black screen with the cursor.

I can use the failsafe option in grub but dont know any commands.

I was thinking that in failsafe i could ether restore settings or posibly make another account that sarts with defult settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Do you have graphics drivers installed? That could be the problem; I'm not sure.

My guess is that you're going to have to revert back to the default window manager (kwin?). I forget how to do that, so someone else is going to have to fill in the blank. Either that or restore to a default xorg.conf file.

• Rep+
Reactions: beasty

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haddent installed a gfx driver but the display was working before.

Thanks for the help but it looks like ill just reinstall tomorow or something, will only take 30 mins, solutions sound like they would take longer than that.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
A reinstall should be quick (Suse has gotten a LOT faster than it used to be; it used to be one of the slowest distros), but seriously, there ought to be a simple command to reset the xorg.conf file...

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
A reinstall should be quick (Suse has gotten a LOT faster than it used to be; it used to be one of the slowest distros), but seriously, there ought to be a simple command to reset the xorg.conf file...
IIRC this should do it:

Code:

Code:
xorg-reconfigure -pHIGH

·
Premium Member
8,424 Posts
Did you try using sax2? That's OpenSuse's xorg configuration tool. You need to be root to run it.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
View Post

Did you try using sax2? That's OpenSuse's xorg configuration tool. You need to be root to run it.

In my experience... It usually messes things up rather than fixes them.

·
Premium Member
8,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
In my experience... It usually messes things up rather than fixes them.

It shouldn't be used with fglrx (or the nvidia driver for that matter), but it's still a good tool to "revert" xorg.conf to its defaults (or to something that will give you a working X).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts