Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have just been looking on www.linux.org and it looks and sounds much more impressive than microsoft windows!
it shows how much more controll you can have in linux.
i am just wondering, what are your oppinions on linux?
thanks
-Sin100
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,563 Posts
Linux is fun for like...a day. It's too hard if you're not a sooper linux nerd. I'd go with SuSE for my first distro as i've found it to be the easiest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Linux is a more hands on OS and is much more customizable to what YOU want. Windows is for the person who just wants to use a computer and fiddle around with it.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
IMO there is no point in using Linux other then to be able to say "I use Linux!". Well, I take that back: Linux is a great server OS, but for desktop/workstation use, Windows is better. Name one thing you can do on a Linux desktop that you cant do better/easyer on a Windows system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,688 Posts
I say if you got 2 hard drives then load them both up or even if you just got 1 then duel boot them...That way you can run both...

If you plan on doing any gaming then go with Windows...If you really want to learn a computer well...Run Linux...I run both...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you never wanted to try somthng different though? i mean it is virtually guaranteed you will get ms windows on a pre-bulit comp considering microsoft have a sort of illigal monopoly going on! i just thort it would be nice to try somthing different and i was asking for oppinions on is it just as good and reliable as windows?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sin100

i was asking for oppinions on is it just as good and reliable as windows?

Yes it is, its a great OS... I suggest you try some Live distros first... have a look at http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/LiveCD/ and http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php ... burn a few of them and play around at first... after you get comfortable with a distro and learn your way around, you can install one on your hard drive
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,688 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sin100

Have you never wanted to try somthng different though? i mean it is virtually guaranteed you will get ms windows on a pre-bulit comp considering microsoft have a sort of illigal monopoly going on! i just thort it would be nice to try somthing different and i was asking for oppinions on is it just as good and reliable as windows?

Well if you are looking for reliability then Any Linux Distro will be more reliable then windows...That is why the internet is based off of linux and not Windows because Linux is FAR more Stable then Windows...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Linux is really hard, because you have to do everything manually, like install programs (you don't get that install wizard thingy). Unless you plan on running a server or hacking, I would say Microsoft is best for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kagaos

Linux is really hard, because you have to do everything manually, like install programs (you don't get that install wizard thingy). Unless you plan on running a server or hacking, I would say Microsoft is best for you.

Ubuntu is pretty user friendly and updates itself with new apps. But does not carry everything. You will have to learn some commands to get by. and your average linux user doesnt seem to like noobs. But here at overclock.net we are a friendly bunch And i am sure that we could help you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea i heard you have to do some things through "root", a few mates have linux and they say it is more reliable and somewhat stronger than the ever so popular microsoft windows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Well, I'll tell you this much- I started out just like you lol. I wanted to try something different, something new. Then I thought about linux, looked it up, and the FIRST distro I tried was gentoo...and oh my god was it hard.(I still haven't got it working to this day, and I gave up lol) you pretty much have to build the distro from scratch, its like an os-in-a-box. But, don't let that discourage you, I learned how to use fstab and fdisk manually...and a lot of stuff like that that you wouldn't really know how to do with ubuntu or SuSE. Also...SUSE is a piece of crap, I wouldn't use that unless your just so used to windows you can't stand it-because that's what it is-proprietary, and its really sluggish. it doesn't use any kind of standards..its in its own league of linux lol. I'd recommend ubuntu, its ok, but most of all, if your system can pull it off, I'd go for mandriva '06 or something, because its pretty cool. But I'd try knoppix or slax if you're still unsure, and you'd just like to test the waters a bit


Another thing I'll tell you is that linux has a really steep learning curve, it takes a while to figure it out, but from what I hear, if you do learn it, its your best friend lol. One guy on the forums here, kopeah, actually makes his own scripts for linux. So all in all, its perfect if you want absolute control over your pc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Linux is "really hard" like messing around with your WIndows registry is "really hard." It's a matter of perspective.

There are some distributions that make installation, updating and such fairly easy; Linspire, Mandrake and Red Hat are a couple.

There are a few GUIs out there that will keep one away from the command line for a long time-- as long as a Win user can stay away from the Run... dialog.

If you like hacking up your Windows, though, if the thought of not being able to turn off 'features' you don't want or being able to change the color of a certain part of the GUI drives you just a leetle bit bonkers, then Linux is the way to go-- you can do as little or as much customization as you want, your search-engine skills and patience are the limiting factors.

Distrowatch is one-stop shopping for all your Linux/GNU needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dngrsone

Linux is "really hard" like messing around with your WIndows registry is "really hard." It's a matter of perspective.

There are some distributions that make installation, updating and such fairly easy; Linspire, Mandrake and Red Hat are a couple.

There are a few GUIs out there that will keep one away from the command line for a long time-- as long as a Win user can stay away from the Run... dialog.

If you like hacking up your Windows, though, if the thought of not being able to turn off 'features' you don't want or being able to change the color of a certain part of the GUI drives you just a leetle bit bonkers, then Linux is the way to go-- you can do as little or as much customization as you want, your search-engine skills and patience are the limiting factors.

Distrowatch is one-stop shopping for all your Linux/GNU needs.


you know, your right, if your determined enough to figure it out, linux is fairly easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

IMO there is no point in using Linux other then to be able to say "I use Linux!". Well, I take that back: Linux is a great server OS, but for desktop/workstation use, Windows is better. Name one thing you can do on a Linux desktop that you cant do better/easyer on a Windows system.

Wrong linux boxes make excellent servers for anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
573 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

IMO there is no point in using Linux other then to be able to say "I use Linux!". Well, I take that back: Linux is a great server OS, but for desktop/workstation use, Windows is better. Name one thing you can do on a Linux desktop that you cant do better/easyer on a Windows system.

Quick multitasking? Or, something equivalent to remote X11? I dislike using Windows as a workstation, and prefer UNIX environments.

In any case, the correct answer to the original post is:
Use whatever you're most comfortable with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dngrsone

No, they don't serve dinner very well.

 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top