Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so when i need something from p2p like some good music .. as in local dj mixes stuff thats not CWP i would fireup a program called shareaza .. it connected to a couple of p2p servers.. but im clueless as what linux has to offer.. ive seen some that are for one network only.. but is there an app that will connect and search out over several like gnutella edonkey stuff like that all in one app ?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I know theres limewire but I've never used it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Frostwire- Open source version of limewire. uses the same networks. A bit slow.. but stable (At least for me..)

http://www.frostwire.com/

It can be installed through automatix, or manually. I have used it in 6.06, AND 6.10. I HIGHLY reccomend 6.10! FAST!!

And why would you run stuff through wine?? Native software is so much easier and better in most cases...

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iave always hated limewire .. not to sure id want to use frostwire but you say they have an opensource version huh.. so far what ive found is giFT and i have apollon for the front end.. its not to bad i guess.. the search seems wierd but it has plugins for gnuetella and fast track and a few other servers.. i dont know.. its not finding any of the stuff i want.. which is local techno mixes which i used to find all over the place on edonkey and gnuetella 1 and 2 servers.. i guess ill give it a try.. as for the wine comment.. well.. id rather stay away from wine the only thing i use it for is utorrent and mirc.. other then that im trying to sever my ties to windows .. thank you guys for your inputs

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Frostwire is cool, or you could always use torrents.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
Frostwire is cool, or you could always use torrents.
torrents is good if you want main stream stuff like a release of of ubuntu .. but for stuff lm looking for its not really hosted.. at least i cant seem to find it.. but it shows up all over p2p for some reason i just dont get it.. i just installed frostwire i hope this doesnt come back to haunt me..

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude View Post
I got Limewire CVS, which is faster.
where did you get the source code for it..

well ive installed the frostwire.. and it doesnt look to bad.. but it wont connect to the server .. it just sits there saying starting connection .. could it be that im already connected to the fast track servers with my other client ?? no its not firewalled or routed

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippen Out View Post
where did you get the source code for it..

well ive installed the frostwire.. and it doesnt look to bad.. but it wont connect to the server .. it just sits there saying starting connection .. could it be that im already connected to the fast track servers with my other client ?? no its not firewalled or routed
lrn2google

http://www.limewire.org/

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippen Out View Post
what... google sucks.. learn to dogpile.. and last i saw.. limewire was only usable via wine
Well, then you fail.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude View Post
Well, then you fail.
na i didnt fail.. the sites i was looking at said limewire was windows only.. i never checked out limewire directlyt.. but after a quick look around.. looks like frostwire is limewire.. just with out the limewire filters.. if you know what i mean.. so that could come in rather handy not being limited

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right.. so does anyone have frostwire installed on an ubuntu box.. ive got a problem thats pretty common i guess.. its showing a firewall and wont connect to the servers.. im not behind a router and i dont have a firewall on .. unless there is some sort of defualt bs one that installs with ubuntu.. ive searched frostwires forums and gnutellas forums.. and cant find anyone that has resolved this with linux.. i dont know what to do next..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts