Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed w/ XP Pro, if I use Linux for general web browsing and I accidently download a virus, trojan, whatever. Can it spread to my Windows hard drive? I mean technically Linux can't get viruses, but if I have a Windows installation on there, can it get infected?

They are on seperate hard drives.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limes
View Post

Well I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed w/ XP Pro, if I use Linux for general web browsing and I accidently download a virus, trojan, whatever. Can it spread to my Windows hard drive? I mean technically Linux can't get viruses, but if I have a Windows installation on there, can it get infected?

They are on seperate hard drives.

Not unless it is actually run under wine, and able to access your Windows partition. Fairly unlikely.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have wine installed, and my windows hard drive is "unmounted". So I doubt it could really connect to it? But I just want a second opinion

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it's unmounted, then there's no access to the drive. So you'll be fine.

But if it gets mounted... then you could be in trouble. But, I think you'd have to open the file, run a script, something like that in order to work, all of which would have to know to look at the windows partition, instead of the main OS partition (linux...)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCTaylor
View Post

If it's unmounted, then there's no access to the drive. So you'll be fine.

But if it gets mounted... then you could be in trouble. But, I think you'd have to open the file, run a script, something like that in order to work, all of which would have to know to look at the windows partition, instead of the main OS partition (linux...)

Exactly, since your Windows Partition is unmounted, there isn't a risk of viral transfer. Most likely it would take manual intervention for the virus to work if the Windows partition was mounted.

• Rep+
Reactions: Limes

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Leave the NTFS drive un-mounted whenever it's not needed.

If you need something from it while in Ubuntu, mount the drive, grab your data, then un-mount it. If you want another level of security you can chmod the folder that contains the NTFS drive so it is owned by root then unlock and password-protect the root account so you're required to authenticate any access to the folder.

Chances of some sort of viral transfer are very slim.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, cool, I just wanted to confirm it thanks.

+Rep to all you sexy beasts.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Even so, don't run Windows software in Wine unless you can't possibly avoid it by using some native Linux software instead. (e.g. games) And of course only use software obtained from legitimate sources. You know, the usual stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.