Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't think that Linx hurts your CPU unless you let temps get above what they should be.

But, my friend is scared to run Linx for stability testing when overclocking his i7 920 to 3.2GHz @ 1.25 vcore. He says that it hurts your cpu and you will never push your cpu that hard, so stability testing should just be a few runs of 3dmark.

Comments? I didn't bother trying to explain electromigration or anything like that to him(seemed like a waste of time). I'll show him this thread later if there is some good feedback.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I personally have never used Linx. I do Prime95. That's the point of stress testing though, to see if your oc can handle everything you can throw at it and remain stable. At least that's why I stress test.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
i guess that he has never heard of something called folding at home.. alot of videocards and cpus are running high risk of damage here in this forum if what he is saying is true..

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Doesn't Intel use Linpack for testing their CPUs?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
That's like saying it hurts a car to drive it...

Overvolting is going to decrease the life of the CPU no matter what.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Exactly, if I kill my proc...eh, just gives me a reason to get another one. Hrm, maybe I should kill my 920....it is a c0 afterall.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
CPU are made with the prospect of working @ full load at any given time.

It won't hurt them.
I second that.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
That's like saying it hurts a car to drive it...

If you drive at 120mph the whole time.

Overvolting is going to decrease the life of the CPU no matter what.
Your right about this one. Common sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts