Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an LSI 9260-8i with BBU which has been running fine for around 18 months, however seems to have developed an issue where after an hour or two of operation all the disks disappear. I do have a 120mm fan directed at the card, however it would seem as though this is a heat issue going on the symptoms and reading around the Internet. The case (Lian Li PC-343B) already has 3 x 120mm exhaust fans and 3x120mm internal fans blowing over the disks and is in 24x7 operation. Rather than continue down the line of air cooling I'd like to look at liquid cooling specific components as I used to have some CPU (i7 920) overheating issues which were totally solved by using an Antec Kuhler H2O 620.

I was planning to upgrade to the LSI 9260-16i anyway, so not wanting a revisit of this issue was just wondering if anyone had successfully installed water cooling on their LSI card? I'm yet to even measure up the IC dimensions on the 9260, however was thinking one of the universal GPU waterblocks like the XSPC RayStorm might work. Would really appreciate any suggestions on waterblock or to hear from anyone who has actually done this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I measured up the IC on my 9260, and without taking the heat sink off it looks somewhere around 26~28mm for length and width. Actual contact will be quite a bit smaller than that. Unfortunately there is not a great deal of room to either side of the stock heat sink with the HDD ports to the left and a small speaker to the right. In a crunch I suppose I could unsolder the speaker and reconnect via some sheathed wire which would then allow for an offset mounted waterblock. Not sure what that would do to contact stability though.

The stock heatsink measures 55mm in length by 30mm in width. There are only two mounting holes for the heat sink at the top right and bottom left and the PCB is densely packed with components, so no opportunity for getting creative with mounts.

Having a look around the net it looks as if the smaller universal north/southbridge or occasional GPU waterblock may do it. Some of the universal MOSFET blocks are a possibility, however they'd need to be no longer than 60mm and around 20mm wide. Potential picks so far based purely on dimensions;

GPU
Northbridge/Southbridge
MOSFET

Any other suggestions? Ideas for alternate cooling?

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I have my Areca 1882xi's liquid cooled, and it certainly was neither a waste of money nor resources... The ones in my servers, especially, as it dropped the Temps by half in a case area that was already congested for airflow, and with up to 30 drives running simultaneously the RoC can get extremely warm.

Plus, if you already have a loop, the expense is minimal.

Oh, and getting rid of the obnoxious little fans is a huge plus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bit late in getting back, but thanks for the feedback nleksan.

Interesting that you liquid cool your Areca 1882xi's when they at least come with a 40mm fan on their heat sinks to get the air moving. I have since upgraded my server using a U-NAS NSC-800 case with a LSI 9271-8i plus CacheVault module. I thought the 9260-8i was bad, the 9271-8i got to 95C within minutes in this case without a single disk attached to it (have seen reports as high as 115C on newegg). I shut down as soon as I saw the temp.

I have since read the user guide from LSI which says these cards need 200 Linear Foot Per Minute of air flow. I think this is roughly equivalent to a 40mm fan at 6 CFM, so not sure why they do not include one given the cost of these cards. I'm still keen on getting something that'll do more than the bare minimum as ambient temps reach 45C+ where I am over summer.

Anyway, just wondering what the specifics of your water cooling setup was that you have cooling your Areca 1882xi's? These U-NAS cases aren't exactly flush on free space and apart from the drive cage don't appear to be particularly great for airflow. I'll need to get creative for my cooling solution, almost certainly requiring an external radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts