Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I notice any temp difference using a liquid metal TIM like conductonaut on a threadripper 1950x? Currently using Arctic Silver 5.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyluckbox View Post

Will I notice any temp difference using a liquid metal TIM like conductonaut on a threadripper 1950x? Currently using Arctic Silver 5.
Yes, there will be a difference - albeit it could be small. I'm also not sure it's worth dealing with the liquid metal side effects (difficult cleaning).

AS5 is kinda bad imo. Try Gelid GC-pro. It has a better heat conductivity and doesn't have a curing period.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Liquid Metal is the best right now you can see 10-25c is not too hard to clean just use alcohol is easy i have better result with phobya liquid metal and is cheap

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsb01 View Post

Liquid Metal is the best right now you can see 10-25c is not too hard to clean just use alcohol is easy i have better result with phobya liquid metal and is cheap
If you're using it to delid, maybe. But replacing a decent TIM with liquid metal between the IHS & CPU cooler/WB will NOT yield you anything close to that. You'll see a couple of degrees at best.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsb01 View Post

I want one of what hes smoking

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was using kryonaut at the settings in my sig. When running prime95 128 128 'in place FFT's', I could not hold my overclock for over a period of several hours. The CPU temp would slowly increase until the PC would crash. Temps would exceed 70C with regularity.

Today my conductonaut arrived and the results are fantastic, my first test was 6 hours prime95 with the settings stated above, max temperature was 67.6C with no spikes.

With the kryonaut I would see spikes of over 76C.

Am very happy with the purchase, it has made all the difference for my overclock.

If you are boarderline stable with temps tipping you into instability then you will be very happy with the conductonaut!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know that liquid metal leaves some pretty gnarly staining on GPU dies, is it the same for the IHS surface? Could cause issues with warranty if you're worried about that sort of thing.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoled View Post

I was using kryonaut at the settings in my sig. When running prime95 128 128 'in place FFT's', I could not hold my overclock for over a period of several hours. The CPU temp would slowly increase until the PC would crash. Temps would exceed 70C with regularity.

Today my conductonaut arrived and the results are fantastic, my first test was 6 hours prime95 with the settings stated above, max temperature was 67.6C with no spikes.

Am very happy with the purchase, it has made all the difference for my overclock.

If you are boarderline stable with temps tipping you into instability then you will be very happy with the conductonaut!
Did you do multiple mounts with kryonaut and did you use the recommended amount/application technique? You shouldn't see a 10°C drop, unless your first mount wasn't optimal.
If you look at the link I posted earlier about temperature difference, you will notice that mounting pressure and a correct mount are very important for non-metal TIMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDC View Post

I know that liquid metal leaves some pretty gnarly staining on GPU dies, is it the same for the IHS surface? Could cause issues with warranty if you're worried about that sort of thing.
It does. It leaves staining and often some grans of solidified metal that are very hard, if not impossible to remove without scrubbing material. The included steel wool WILL remove the etched markings (model, serial number etc) from the IHS and therefore void your warranty. I recently discovered this with my 4790K (although it was already out of warranty by then). Will not use it for my 8700K.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

Did you do multiple mounts with kryonaut and did you use the recommended amount/application technique? You shouldn't see a 10°C drop, unless your first mount wasn't optimal.
If you look at the link I posted earlier about temperature difference, you will notice that mounting pressure and a correct mount are very important for non-metal
Hi!

Each time I have mounted the waterblock (three times) the imprint has been the same and I would say close to perfect, you can see the pic of one of the mounts below

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624134/official-msi-x370-xpower-gaming-titanium-am4-owners-club/1660_20#post_26337504

As I am using a monoblock there isnt much I can do wrong with regards to the mounting pressure, the monoblock is attached using eight screws, four for the CPU, and two time two for the mosfet area.

These are not spring loaded, so I tighten them evenly, alternating the tightening of the screws in a zig zag direction.

The 10C drop is only for the spikes in temp, they occur momentarily then drop by 5-6C, so would say the average temp difference is around 4-6C

Im wondering if the spikes in temp were caused by this

Ive amended the detached resistor and no longer see the temperature spikes i was seeing before, so am unsure if its due to the resistor or the conductonaut

thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoled View Post

Hmm, the information I posted above should be disregarded as it is not accurate

For reason unknown to me the quoted max temperature of 67.6C cannot be replicated today.

Ambient temperatures are about the same, but repeating the test today the temps are so far over 3C higher.

I am pretty sure that the settings I was using are entirely the same, but the temps are not.

As soon as I get more consistent results will post back with temps difference between kryonaut and conductonaut ......

** EDIT **
OK I have found out the reason that my results were erroneous

Having OPCache enabled vs disabled plays a huge difference in temperatures !!

The 67.6C was with OPCache disabled (my CPU has the segfault issue with OPCache enabled it segfaults in less than a minute, with OPCache disabled it does not segfault)

With the OPCache enabled temps seems to be roughly 5-6C higher!

Based on these rough observations would say the temperature difference between krynoaut and conductonaut would be at best 3C at worst 2C which is substantiating other people results

Wonder what setting other peeps are using with regards to opcache when they post there temperatures ??

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyluckbox View Post

AS5 isn't very good these days

Will a LM be better than say, Kryonaut? Maybe by a few degrees, 2 or 3 maybe
Than AS5? Maybe 4 degrees?
Also depends if you use too much AS5 to begin with
biggrin.gif

Threadripper is a bit different having 4 chips under the IHS, so the heat isn't generated at the center of the IHS

I've seen on HardOCP that using a Ryzen waterblock that is compatible with Threadripper gave worse results than a waterblock made for threadripper
Simply because the one made for threadripper had full surface contact and the one made for Ryzen originally only covered most of the IHS

So it stands to reason that with way more surface area the effect of LM would be bigger as well

That being said
Liquid Metal will eat away the etching on the IHS over time

If you take the cooler off you will have to scrub both surfaces to make good contact again
LM will react with copper (cooler base) and will stain it, but also harden out over time because of this reaction with copper

If you have a cooler that is Nickel plated it behaves better

·
Registered
650 Posts
I installed it on mine and it works just fine. I run my 1950x @ 4Ghz. Voltage is set to Normal/+.300 offset/LLC:Standard. I don't waste my time with running hours of Prime to declare stability. I play Games at 4K and Benchmark(Cinebench) just fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

If you're using it to delid, maybe. But replacing a decent TIM with liquid metal between the IHS & CPU cooler/WB will NOT yield you anything close to that. You'll see a couple of degrees at best.
In my case I saw a massive 15-25c temperature difference when I moved from conductonaut to the kryonaut. I almost never hit over 75c even with 1.45v llc4 prime95.. with my ryzen 7 and kraken x62 but now with kryonaut I hit almost 80c 1.37v llc4.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpenN1 View Post

In my case I saw a massive 15-25c temperature difference when I moved from conductonaut to the kryonaut. I almost never hit over 75c even with 1.45v llc4 prime95.. with my ryzen 7 and kraken x62 but now with kryonaut I hit almost 80c 1.37v llc4.
bad mounting? (or very uneven IHS)

on 2 surfaces that are very plain and even the difference between any TIM is very minor

however if contact is not good for any reason than the liquid metal can obviously transfer heat better (and bridge a small gap)

the temp difference when idle or with stresstesting between Kryonaut and Conductonaut on my RIG (7600K @5.2Ghz, 1,392v, Kraken X62) is 1 degree celsius
that's so low that it could be from different ambient temp when I did the testing and is within a margin of error

again
Threadripper might be different because the DIE's are actually not at the center of the IHS and just the sheer size of the IHS could mean a few degrees difference

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
My advice would be not to go with Liquid Metal, while the cooling results may be ever so slightely superior to something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, the risks posed with Condonaut are higher due to electrical conductivity. Applying Condonaut is not hard but if you have an overspill or mishap it could damage your components.

Personally I use Kryonaut evenly spread over the entire surface of my Threadripper CPU IHS and it works like a charm, much better than anything like AS5. AS5 was a good TIM in its time but its been surpassed many times and it has a 200 hour cure time, which these days is no good when you can get immediate benefits from something like Kryonaut.

With my 1950x and Kryonaut I average 68-70c full load at 4.1Ghz with 1.4vcore using the Enermax Liqtech 360 AIO.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2k View Post

bad mounting? (or very uneven IHS)

on 2 surfaces that are very plain and even the difference between any TIM is very minor

however if contact is not good for any reason than the liquid metal can obviously transfer heat better (and bridge a small gap)

the temp difference when idle or with stresstesting between Kryonaut and Conductonaut on my RIG (7600K @5.2Ghz, 1,392v, Kraken X62) is 1 degree celsius
that's so low that it could be from different ambient temp when I did the testing and is within a margin of error

again
Threadripper might be different because the DIE's are actually not at the center of the IHS and just the sheer size of the IHS could mean a few degrees difference
Hmm then I guess it might be the metal that has been left over that I couldn't get off. Even with polishing powder cause it only spread it little bit, it did make it smoother but didn't really take metal off. Gold copper plate is now covered almost 70 percentage of thin layer of metal.

I can't seem to find any gold copper plate replacements on the internet.
frown.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:

Hmm then I guess it might be the metal that has been left over that I couldn't get off. Even with polishing powder cause it only spread it little bit, it did make it smoother but didn't really take metal off. Gold copper plate is now covered almost 70 percentage of thin layer of metal.

I can't seem to find any gold copper plate replacements on the internet.
frown.gif
don't really know what
Quote:
gold copper plate replacements
are
you mean a replacement IHS?
which wouldn't be easy for a Ryzen (soldered)

well err

if you mean metal that has been left like this

the spots I marked had hardened out and didn't wipe off

I had to scrub with a metal wool pad to get the hardened metal out

if you want you could also try sand paper with really fine grain, like P1000 or P2000 and give it a soft scrub with it

or

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2k View Post

don't really know what
are
you mean a replacement IHS?
which wouldn't be easy for a Ryzen (soldered)

well err

if you mean metal that has been left like this

the spots I marked had hardened out and didn't wipe off

I had to scrub with a metal wool pad to get the hardened metal out

if you want you could also try sand paper with really fine grain, like P1000 or P2000 and give it a soft scrub with it

or

I meant gold copper plate of my kraken's block, that's only reason I changed because I got RMA replacement 1700 and didn't want to ruin it's resale value
smile.gif

It looks little bit like that last picture but it's covered in larger radius of thin smooth metal.

I tried apply kryonaut as good as I could but my temps are now way worse.
frown.gif
And my CPU stops working with q code 08 in about 2-10hr prime95 because Ryzen doesn't like long stress test session when temps are over 75c to 80c :O.
I tested it so that I opened my window and put my fans on maximum so max temps could stay at 70c (1.39v)and Ryzen is much more stable in prime95 compared to what it was 80c

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:

I meant gold copper plate of my kraken's block, that's only reason I changed because I got RMA replacement 1700 and didn't want to ruin it's resale value
smile.gif

It looks little bit like that last picture but it's covered in larger radius of thin smooth metal.

I tried apply kryonaut as good as I could but my temps are now way worse.
frown.gif
And my CPU stops working with q code 08 in about 2-10hr prime95 because Ryzen doesn't like long stress test session when temps are over 75c to 80c :O.
I tested it so that I opened my window and put my fans on maximum so max temps could stay at 70c (1.39v)and Ryzen is much more stable in prime95 compared to what it was 80c
You obviously have to get rid of all the left overs from the liquid metal
Especially the hardened out stuff
Or the cooler will not make proper contact and heat transfer will be terrible

And btw
If you mean the waterblocks of the Kraken, I'm not aware of any gold plated editions

·
Hardware Princess
1,848 Posts
IMO liquid metal is not worth it on Threadripper. For a proper application of either the temp difference will be small. I'm using the Kryonaut personally as I'm concerned about losing the numbers on the IHS with LM. It would make it hard to sell the chip in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts