Overclock.net banner

Liquid nitrogen or dry ice?

10K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  nitteo 
#1 ·
For cooling a cpu or gpu for massive overclocking, which would be better? Liquid nitrogren or dry ice?

#5 ·
Damn, what happens exactly if you get liquid nitrogen on your finger? It freezes and brake? I know the safety procedures but I just want to know the extent of the "damage" lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: mth91
#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
Damn, what happens exactly if you get liquid nitrogen on your finger? It freezes and brake? I know the safety procedures but I just want to know the extent of the "damage" lol.
It really, really hurts. I've had it applied to my toe to freeze a wart. You will curse many many times! However it won't break because the heat from the rest of the adjacent tissue will flow into the newly cold area.
You will get a blister of sorts too, from the cells dying.

• Rep+
Reactions: mth91
#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
It really, really hurts. I've had it applied to my toe to freeze a wart. You will curse many many times! However it won't break because the heat from the rest of the adjacent tissue will flow into the newly cold area.
Yup, only the surface gets damaged... unless you hold your hand in a bucket of it...

#9 ·
Quote:
Lol, I know other treatments for wart than nitrogen, I'm about to sig that lol, a FAQ about how overclockers treat warts lol.

And ya, if you push someone in a bathub filled with LN2, he is going to die, because of the horribly cold temperature, his death will be almost instantaneous, but good luck finding enough quantity of it and pushing him in before it completly evaporates.

#10 ·
Quote:

Lol, I know other treatments for wart than nitrogen, I'm about to sig that lol, a FAQ on how overclockers treat warts lol.

And ya, if you push someone in a bathub filled with LN2, he is going to die, because of the horribly cold temperature, his death will be almost instantaneous, but good luck finding enough quantity of it and pushing him in before it completly evaporates.
Death won't be almost instantaneous. Cooling 180lb of 100F still takes time.

#11 ·
He can die of an heart attack, it's a huge shock for the body to be subjected to that much difference of temperature, especially that low, and at this temperature, you cannot breath. He would die before even knowing it because of an heart attack, that's for sure.
And you mentioned pushing a friend, thank god I don't even know you lol.

#12 ·
Quote:

He can die of an heart attack, it's a huge shock for the body to be subjected to that much difference of temperature, especially that low, and at this temperature, you cannot breath. He would die before even knowing it because of an heart attack, that's for sure.
And you mentioned pushing a friend, thank god I don't even know you lol.
He cant breathe? What do you mean?

#13 ·
Quote:

Just from my experience with working with LIN in the Air Force (fire supression systems and hot brakes), you won't break like in T2. The human body is 80% fluid, so when it freezes it become hard like a rock, and not fragile and cracking. With minimal contact with LIN you can get 2nd and 3rd degree burns. With prolonged contact or heavy splashing, you will get frost bite and can loose that area that is affected. The LIN we use is -297°F boiling point.

#15 ·
Ya, the guy was talking about pushing his friend in a bathtub filled with LN2, that is major splashing. And I don't know if you've ever been around temperatures of -40c, well if you did, I'm sure you notice it's hard to breath, well, imagine going a few hundreds of farenheits even lower...
Waupli very clearly explained my point.

#17 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla
I agree with binormalkilla, but if you don't feel like doing that but experiencing something similar but less painful, I suggest you hold some Dry Ice in your hand for no more than 30 seconds!! By the way the more you do it the more you get use to it! But seriously don't do it unless you really feel the need to do it!

I love my drinks with Dry Ice!!!

Heres a pic of some Liquid Nitrogen on a hand!
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7307/ln2eu0.jpg

#18 ·
Quote:

actually if you spill a little on your skin it will form a vapor barrier and not harm you

if you put your finger in some thats another story , a few seconds and I guess it would crack and fall off

#19 ·
Quote:

Ya, the guy was talking about pushing his friend in a bathtub filled with LN2, that is major splashing. And I don't know if you've ever been around temperatures of -40c, well if you did, I'm sure you notice it's hard to breath, well, imagine going a few hundreds of farenheits even lower...
Waupli very clearly explained my point.
more like -180c and you couldnt keep it in a bathtub

oh I see that your saying -40 as an example

#20 ·
Quote:

It hurts like hell. Getting a wart frozen off sucks. I've had it done several times when i was younger.
First it burns.
Then it throbs with pain for hours.
Later it still hurts but not as bad.
Then it forms a giant blister, sometimes like a bubble.

It's not fun. And that's with a doctor applying it, god forbid you spill a larger quantity on yourself.

#23 ·
Quote:

if you dip your finger in LN2, it will turn to stone that can never return to normal, it is instantly dead and can just crumble into pieces if hit with something. A wart is different, it was a specified target AWAY from your actual finger.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by born2killU View Post
actually if you spill a little on your skin it will form a vapor barrier and not harm you

if you put your finger in some thats another story , a few seconds and I guess it would crack and fall off

Yes. That is true, thus death would not be instanteous. I forget the name of the effect, but the heat from the body would instantaneously cause evaporation of the LN2 and would form a small air pocket that would prevent direct contact of the LN2 to the skin, for a really really short period of time. I remember seeing a demonstration of this at a science show as a kid where the guy said he was going to dip his arm in a large container of LN2. I thought he was joking but then he actually did it. He threw his arm into the LN2 up to the elbow and quickly pulled it back out and he was ok.

Back to the OP, I say LN2 for colder temps but dry ice for better ease of handling and safety. Also, I think its way easier to buy dry ice than LN2.

#25 ·
Can we make this a "Cooling" experiment? lol

Who wants to Volunteer...Maybe Duckieho?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.