Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know liquid nitrogen is by no means a widespread cooling and that is has lots of kinks....but what is more effective? Liquid Nitrogen or Phase Change?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I knew liquid nitrogen wouldn't last long, but I've heard rumors that it's OCed an Intel to 5.0 Ghz.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
LN2 = -186 C
Phase = -40 C (or so)

The Ln2 is a couple hours of use while phase is 24/7. Go for the phase.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox
Yeah, I knew liquid nitrogen wouldn't last long, but I've heard rumors that it's OCed an Intel to 5.0 Ghz.
Phase change gets P4's to 5ghz, Liquid Nitrogen will get good chips to over 7 ghz.

Then also there is DICE, or Dry Ice, which also works very good, but also a short term cooling solution that will give you temps in the -80*c range

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox

Liquid nitrogen has taken chips far past that. A few years ago Tom's Hardware got a chip to 5.5Ghz. People have gotten 6ghz on ln2.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Chilly1 charged a Phase/Cascade system with LN2 and was achieving an evap. temp of -300F, Pure LN2 in a container will get you temp's in the -186C range, mass produced Phase change will get you temp's in the -30C ~ -40C range and Custom phase/cascade will achieve about -100C depending on how well the unit is tuned and the component's used.

As other people have said LN2 is great for suicide run's but is isn't practicle for everyday use as it evaporates pretty quickly.

Phase change can be run 24/7 and is alot more practicle

·
Registered
143 Posts
Liquid nitrogen isn't really practical for a closed loop refrigeration system since it takes more than just compressing it to make it condense back into a liquid. It has to be chilled using a cascade refrigeration system in the process. The equipment needed to do so will take up a lot of space and use a lot of energy.

Most uses I've seen for liquid nitrogen usually just use an opened container filled with that sitting on top of the processor. In this case, the liquid nitrogen just evaporates into the air. This is called an "expandable" system since when it evaporates, it just expands into a gas.

Yep, it's only good for high speed, experimential runs unless you have the equipment to produce liquid nitrogen fast enough and a helper to refill it every 20 mins while you are gameing.

Running phase change is more practical for everyday use since it's nothing more than running a refrigerator or air conditioner.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
id love to see someone do LN2 as high as they can overclock it and record a video of windows loading to see if it doesnt even get like 1/2 a loading bar...lol.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

id love to see someone do LN2 as high as they can overclock it and record a video of windows loading to see if it doesnt even get like 1/2 a loading bar...lol.

..Mine did that once, and I dont have anything special. I think it was running at stock 1.8ghz, 200fsb, with raptor hdds. It was right after a windows install with no updates installed, but I have 2 witnesses. I think it was right when I installed my 2 Raptors in raid. Windows was loading in 1 bar or less, and one time, the bar only went across about 1/4 of a time. So, its possible to do without phase

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't believe the CPU has much to do with how fast windows loads. It really depends on the programs it needs to initiate at startup (drivers and such). When I first installed a clean copy of windows, it took less than half a bar to load into windows. Now it takes 2-3.

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

uhh try like an FX 57 at like 4.5ghz... You wouldn't even see the loading screen! lol after it posted it would just be in windows lol
that would be sickly fast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts