Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefined Alright, so I have a P4 2.6 GHZ, HT with a 200 MHZ FSB (shows up as 800, but it's really 200). Of course, thanks to the good people at Intel, my mulitplier remains 13. I have a stock heatsick/fan on it, but I've got 3 other good fans in the case and my MOBO monitor never shows temps above 40º. So... I went ahead and used my SOFTMENU Bios tool to change the freq to 210 (taking a small jump to 2.7 GHz). Well, it won't boot. For some dumb reason-- and anything between 200-210 boots 'sometimes,' but not reliable enough to keep it OC'd. Well, get this: I was curious and put it at 214-- and it worked! But, only for a bit. Once I restarted I couldn't get it going. I had it OC'd at 209 for over a week-- with no problems and no high temps above 40 still. So what's the deal?

I've messed with the voltages a bit and to reach the 214, I had to increase the Vcore of the CPU-- but I couldn't go above it and I can't reach 210-214. I don't think it has to do with heat, and I've tried practically every volt combo. I'm kind of stuck here-- but I read that this CPU overclocks well into 3.0+... but I can 'barely' make it to 2.8.

Here are my full specs...

Abit VT7 mobo with VIA PT-880 Chipset
P4 2.6 GHz HT
2 X 512 MB DDR PC-3200= 1G
Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB AGP 8x

Please advise if you know of any suggestions.

Scott

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
not that i am a pro at this stuff:

1) your chip might just not be a good ocer
2) you could try loosening up your ram timings
3) what is the stock voltage - and what did you have it at?
i am not sure what you mean by playing with the voltages...
4) what is your cpu:ram ratio set at right now? should be at 1:1, or
4:5 if you want a little less stable oc, but higher (i think i am right on
this one)

i take it your chip is a northwood - i have mine at 1.65vcore, i hear it is safe up to 1.7 - of course as long as you stay safe temp wise -

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the same chip in an abit IC7 and currently run it @ 3.38 for everyday use. Thats 260 fsb which is way too much for my Corsair vs ram so I had to set the cpu/ram ratio to 5:4...this means that the ram runs @ 80% of the cpu fsb speed so my ram runs @ 208 which is just above the 200 spec. I would eliminate the ram as the problem first. Set the FSB to 214 and the cpu/ram ratio to 5:4 like mine...that puts your ram @ 171 which is slow, but should run just fine. If it works then the ram is most likely your problem. I was able to get 3.3 on stock cooling and stock voltage. You should be able to get atleast close to that...the 2.6c is a good chip.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
umm...im pretty sure its because your mobo has a via chipset, so it cant OC very well, and via's cant lock pci freq....so ure dead in the water with that mobo...im pretty sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts