Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve mailed my silicon lottery 8700k 5.0ghz back for warrant testing and possibly replacement. I could not get it stable at 5.0ghz. They where very helpful and great communication. They worked with me on testing before mailing back. I wanted to make sure that I was not doing anything stupid. I have nothing but good words for their customer service.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I’ve mailed my silicon lottery 8700k 5.0ghz back for warrant testing and possibly replacement. I could not get it stable at 5.0ghz. They where very helpful and great communication. They worked with me on testing before mailing back. I wanted to make sure that I was not doing anything stupid. I have nothing but good words for their customer service.
Just wondering what motherboard do you have?

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I think he's intentionally trying to ask us though.

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
Hi,
So you bought a binned cpu from SL ?
Which rating 5.0 I thought just about all of them would do that ?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Hi,
So you bought a binned cpu from SL ?
Which rating 5.0 I thought just about all of them would do that ?
They're not binned. Each CPU was thoroughly tested and found capable of overclocking to what they are advertising, provided you use their settings in your BIOS.

So he is saying he bought the 8700K that SL guarantees can overclock to 5.0 GHz if you use their settings.

Have a look: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake

This one is guaranteed to overclock to 4.9 GHz if you use their settings: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake/products/8700k49g

This one is guaranteed to overclock to 5.0 GHz if you use their settings: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake/products/8700k50g

This one is guaranteed to overclock to 5.1 GHz if you use their settings: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake/products/8700k51g

This one is guaranteed to overclock to 5.2 GHz if you use their settings: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake/products/8700k52g

So, you're just buying a guaranteed overclock - as long as you use their settings. That's why he's asking us if maybe he did something wrong or stupid by not doing even more testing on his own before sending it back. Or maybe he is wondering if maybe he shouldn't consider getting another CPU from SL.

While I have no experience with SL, I haven't really seen anyone complain either. So my answer is, I think the best thing to do is go for a replacement from SL.

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
Hi,
I used SL just sent them my 7900x to delid no binning.

But yeah if having issue rma nothing to loose except time waiting and a little shipping costs.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Binned means separating each processor into separate virtual bins according to clock speed.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Binned means separating each processor into separate virtual bins according to clock speed.
I always thought that applied to stock speeds. As in, my 2500K was a CPU that was binned as a quad-core that does 3.3 GHz to 3.7 GHz.

SL's CPUs are retail CPUs that were once binned by Intel, but SL overclocked them and found their maximum stable overclock. So, it seems SL is just selling guaranteed overclocks and aren't really binning the CPUs, per se. It's like they're really just selling cherry-picked CPUs, hence their logo of cherries. "If you buy this CPU, it's guaranteed to reach this clock speed"

Of course, it could be also be argued that you can pick cherries and put them in a bin and say, "I binned these as the best cherries".

I'm not really sure if I'm actually trying to say anything. If I want to say anything, it's really that I always thought of "binned" and "binning" as something done by the CPU manufacturers. The rest of us can only buy what was binned.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I always thought that applied to stock speeds. As in, my 2500K was a CPU that was binned as a quad-core that does 3.3 GHz to 3.7 GHz.

SL's CPUs are retail CPUs that were once binned by Intel, but SL overclocked them and found their maximum stable overclock. So, it seems SL is just selling guaranteed overclocks and aren't really binning the CPUs, per se. It's like they're really just selling cherry-picked CPUs, hence their logo of cherries. "If you buy this CPU, it's guaranteed to reach this clock speed"

Of course, it could be also be argued that you can pick cherries and put them in a bin and say, "I binned these as the best cherries".

I'm not really sure if I'm actually trying to say anything. If I want to say anything, it's really that I always thought of "binned" and "binning" as something done by the CPU manufacturers. The rest of us can only buy what was binned.
Binning is a process done by companies big and small Like silicon lottery they bin 1000 processors at a time, we can only buy what they binned also. Binned is a simple word and is just what is done.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

Calm down

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Calm down
Never say "calm down" to someone who you think should calm down. Haven't you ever noticed that it never works? It has the opposite effect.

Do some research on why you should never say "calm down" to someone who you think needs to calm down.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering what motherboard do you have?
Maximus X Formula
I think he's intentionally trying to ask us though.
Was just passing on my experience with my SL purchase. The great customer service I got from them. The cpu would not pass more that 20 min of prime95 ver 26.6, set to 1344 FFTs in place. SL recimendation was to mail cpu back in to them for warranty checks. If they see the same result. They will replace the cpu. Looks like I may have gotten one that fell through their testing regiment.

·
Overclocker in training
13,959 Posts
Hi,
Yep hopefully you have a backup system until you get the chip back :(

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard back from SL yesterday. They shipped me out a new CPU. The one I got originally was defective. Great customer service can not say enough good things about them. They treated me right, in fact they shipped out a new one before they confirmed mine was bad. They sent a email this morning saying that my old one would not pass their testing.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I heard back from SL yesterday. They shipped me out a new CPU. The one I got originally was defective. Great customer service can not say enough good things about them. They treated me right, in fact they shipped out a new one before they confirmed mine was bad. They sent a email this morning saying that my old one would not pass their testing.
That is great. I see a lot of folks have the same problem as you and Silicon lottery makes it right.:specool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts