Overclock.net banner

Live DTS to Dolby Digital?

752 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  bentrinh
While on another forum, I recieved an interesting answer to one of my questions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntan

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentrinh
Hi, sorry for the simple question, but I'm a newbie to AV equipment. I have an old 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver that does not support DTS. If I have a HTPC connected to the receiver by the optical on its motherboard, what would happen if I played 5.1 DTS video files?
Be aware that if you have the PC decode it and send PCM through the optical connection you will only get 2 ch audio. You will not get 5.1

If you still want to get 5.1 surround and your receiver only supports DD, there are motherboards and/or sound cards that support the decoding of surround tracks and then re-encode them into Dolby Digital 5.1 in real time. This would then be sent out the Optical port to the receiver and the receiver will then process it just like it would normally process Dolby Digital soundtracks.

-Suntan
Has anyone heard of this technology?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Its called DDL, or Dolby Digital Live.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Its called DDL, or Dolby Digital Live.
Thanks, I think that's what it's called. I found something interesting though:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhench View Post
if you have a direct show based player, you can use ac3filter to decode dts and re-encode to AC3.
it is free. google it. (http://ac3filter.net) setting it up with your player is up to you however
I am only familiar with zoom player.
See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.