Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for you out there who play driver sims. have you yet played this game? number one best advantage is its free!.....well...kinda, the 3 car 3 track demo is free, the full game i believe is $50 (might be wrong) but it had the BEST and i mean by far THE BEST driving physics i have ever seen i mean you cant really experience the game accuratly without a wheel or at the least a controllor. for all that have played this game please leave a short review
( for or against ) and for those who havnt played/heard of it please feel free to give it a try here the link and best of all lol my low grade system runs it at 110 FPS!

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
You can wait at least an hour for responses...

I have it (S2). I really liked GT3 back in the day, and figured I'd like lfs. I like it but I dunno. I just never feel like playing it. Everything seems so sterile. Guess I'm mpre of an explosions and crashing kind of guy.

I love Richard burns rally though. Must be the danger aspect that draws me to it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm LFS S2 licensed also, and feel that this is the most accurate automobile racing simulation available on PC today. While LFS has not concentrated on things like Licensed cars and tracks, daytimes that elapse to nighttime, and weather effects, it has concentrated intensely on vehicle dynamics and handling, and how the car, suspension and tires interact with the track. With several different suspension geometries in-game, each deformable tire also has several temperature zones, which accurately simulate wear and tear, hot spots, cold spots, and flat spots, as well as inflation. The tracks, while not copies of real tracks, have many elements of famous tracks, and are also highly polished, which makes them a joy to race on. No other simulation has the same level of sophistication when it comes to automotive physics.. While it may not yet be perfect, it still surpasses even it's closest competitor in outright accuracy.

That being said, plenty of other games are chocked full of licensed cars and tracks, that have been poked, prodded and polished to a point that almost maps out real life cars and tracks on a level where many are accurate within inches. However, not nearly as much time has been spent to make the driving physics more realistic, so many games will have community mods that enhance driving experience, such as rFactor + Realfeel plugin.

Basically there is a balance which has not yet been reached between simulation accuracy and use of licensed cars.. It's either one extreme or the other. Live for Speed is the best simulation, while rFactor has the best cars and tracks, the individual decides what is more important to them in a simulation.

Everyone should definately try out the Live for Speed demo, the 3 cars included are very fun to drive, and scale well to beginners if you start out driving the hatchback, then go to the rear-wheel drive coupe, and finally the BMW Formula. Keyboard or Mouse can be used to drive, but a force-feedback steering while is highly recommended! If you have a DFP or G25 already, but haven't played LFS, you are seriously missing out!

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I don't play because the clutches burn out so fast.

Even using a key to work the clutch, thus eliminating slipping it, they still only last 20 minutes or so. So frustrating.

the F1-looking car they give you in the demo...yeah. Record clutch life for it was 12 minutes to the point it wouldn't move at all.

That is HARDLY realistic. Clutches can take a ton more abuse than I'm doling out in that game. Hell, I've abused clutches more in real life than I have in that game, and to date none of those clutches have failed.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I've never killed a clutch in the game unless I was purposely being evil to it. I use a G25, so have a clutch pedal, however I have next to no clutch skill in RL.

Are you keeping it matted on upshifts?
Changing down gears and releasing clutch on braking? Don't know what I mean? Say you're booting, doing 3k in 6th and you need to go to 2nd for the next corner, straight braking zone. Do you push clutch, downshift, release clutch, downshift, release et cetera or do you push in the clutch, downshift x4, release clutch when speed matches engine rpm? The clutch is can be used and is more or less exactly like a brake, both are friction devices, just the clutch is built for minimal slip and brakes are built to slip like crazy, and dissipate its heat. If your speed changes as a result of modifying your clutch position, you are slipping it, and thus wearing it out. Might be needed sometimes, but try to avoid it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, LFS is what got me into sim-racing. I remember I thought Gran Turismo 3 was the best racing game ever... then I played LFS for the first time, and I was blown away. LFS has really good physics and is the best sim for pick up/pub racing. Leagues are fun too. iRacing is great, but much more expensive than LFS.

rFactor has some great mods like the Historix GT & Touring Car mod and the VLN 2005 mod, but public servers are extremely hard to find.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabkicks
View Post

rFactor has some great mods like the Historix GT & Touring Car mod and the VLN 2005 mod, but public servers are extremely hard to find.

Yeah I run in a HistoriX league which races every Sunday night.. Decent HistoriX leagues are hard to find, but we occasionally accept new drivers that will cut the mustard in racing.. There are a few different skill levels among drivers in two different classes, so it almost splits up the field into four different classes; two car classes, and two levels of driver skill per class, which makes for many close points battles.

Last season we ran GTC, TC-1 and TC-2 cars, but this season we're sticking to just GTC and TC-2 classes, often with 18+ people showing up to race each Sunday.

Feel free to join us on the public "efnetcars.INFO practice" HistoriX server during the week, and check out our league progress at http://efnetcars.com/. Seriously, I love Live for Speed very much, but I put all my effort into HistoriX practice so I can beat my friends at racing (sometimes!)!

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Anyone playing this without a wheel (or using a wheel without clutch)? I can't seem to find where I can set it to sequential manual (clutch-less manual) mode.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
options - driver= you can chose auto clutch and sequental
also in options- controls - to set up sequential

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabkicks
View Post

new testpatch was released. it fixes some things. details below. I'm still waiting for the Volkswagen sirocco to be released.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=57195

thank you very much! who knows how long it would have taken me to notice this with out your post

1 - 14 of 14 Posts