Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P6T deluxe and have been running with LLC disabled for some time but I am curious as to whether it would be more benificial to run with it on or off, I've heard it is best turned off and I've also read other opinions saying it is best turned on. I have tried some overclocking with it on and off, with LLC on i can get 3.6ghz with 1.2v in BIOS but without i need around 1.2375v in BIOS. Without LLC on load in cpu-z it drops to around 1.175v and with LLC on it drops to around 1.18 in cpu-z, so i was just wondering what your opinon was, on or off??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,703 Posts
In my experience you just have to test it and see how it does for you at your given clocks. It seemed to make my overclocks more unstable at lower voltages and I didn't use it, but once I got over 4.1GHz (and higher voltage), it really has helped me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does let me take my overclocks higher with a lower set voltage, but what I'm not sure about is the apparent voltage spikes that it causes which can apparently cause damage to the cpu and I'm not sure that the risk is worth the gain, because the only difference to me seems to be a higher idle voltage with it turned off, so I'm not entirely sure that the voltage spike risk is worth the lower idle voltages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by M1 Abrams
View Post

I leave my LLC [disabled] in asus bios on my i7 920
When its "disabled in asus , intel specs are met.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...illoscope.html

I dont want the spike


That was my thought too, but i read into it more and I had seen a lot of different opinions so I wanted to see more opinions on the one subject. My thought was that the higher idle voltages would do less than big spikes going into load as the CPU is doing less and I know that it is still at a safe level, I just wanted to know how others felt on the topic.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
I don't use LLC either anymore (well, it was a pencil vdroop mod). I used to highly recommend using LLC or a pencil mod, but now I am only comfortable recommending it to people with 65nm CPUs. But I'm even a little uncomfortable with that.

However, the information I found regarding the risks of using LLC or a vdroop mod is in my signature.


Quote:


Originally Posted by DirektEffekt
View Post

That was my thought too, but i read into it more and I had seen a lot of different opinions so I wanted to see more opinions on the one subject. My thought was that the higher idle voltages would do less than big spikes going into load as the CPU is doing less and I know that it is still at a safe level, I just wanted to know how others felt on the topic.

You're right: using a higher voltage to compensate for the vDroop is safer. After all, it's only idling at that higher voltage, so it's not a big deal. I mean, I'd rather have my E8400 idling at like 1.420V or something than to always have like 1.38V running through it and having voltage spikes that exceed 1.45V each time any amount of load goes to the CPU. I mean, I'd rather have vDroop protecting my CPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

I don't use LLC either anymore (well, it was a pencil vdroop mod). I used to highly recommend using LLC or a pencil mod, but now I am only comfortable recommending it to people with 65nm CPUs. But I'm even a little uncomfortable with that.

However, the information I found regarding the risks of using LLC or a vdroop mod is in my signature.


Thankyou, I had trouble finding any direct references to the risks other than a few vague references in my searches, I shall have a read of those links.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by M1 Abrams
View Post

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...illoscope.html
op this is link I posted earlier in this thread

post # 9 my post at that link is link to LLC anandtech

But page 5 of that article needs to be included as well. That's why I have both pages 5 and 6 in my signature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by M1 Abrams
View Post

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...illoscope.html
op this is link I posted earlier in this thread

post # 9 my post at that link is link to LLC anandtech

Sorry, I just quickly read through that thread, I was looking for the results of that thread's OP so i must have missed the link, but thankyou none the less, rep for you


And as for LLC i think I shall leave it off, just for the added comfort of knowing exactly where the voltage is at any given time.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DirektEffekt
View Post

Sorry, I just quickly read through that thread, I was looking for the results of that thread's OP so i must have missed the link, but thankyou none the less, rep for you


lol it's the same article that's in my sig.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: DirektEffekt

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

lol it's the same article that's in my sig.


I know but he did still offer the information regardless and I feel that anyone who offers genuine help deserves credit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, as I said in an edit above, that was probably missed i decided to keep LLC off just for the added comfort of knowing what voltage it is running at any given time.

Sorry for the double post but an edit would probably have been missed... again lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

But page 5 of that article needs to be included as well. That's why I have both pages 5 and 6 in my signature.

Page 1~13 is at the link I provided in post #9 to anandtech(5 & 6 included)
scroll down and clik index article index drop down choices.
But thanks for pointing that out
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DirektEffekt
View Post

I know but he did still offer the information regardless and I feel that anyone who offers genuine help deserves credit


Yeah, I kinda felt silly once I submitted that reply. Oh well.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by M1 Abrams
View Post

Page 1~13 is at the link I provided in post #9 to anandtech(5 & 6 included)
scroll down and clik index article index drop down choices.
But thanks for pointing that out


Oh. But I've found people prefer that I provide direct links to both pages.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top