Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hosting a LAN party soon, and Internet is our big concern. Last time we had 47 people on 5mbps down and 1 up. This time we wanted to run two charter modems, load balanced, at the LAN. We were going to use PFSense. The problem is, to the best of my knowledge, the building isn't wired for charter, but charter is available for install. The modems that would be load balanced are my friend's modems. I know that on a live charter line, you can just plug in your modem and have internet. With the building not being naturally wired with charter, I've been trying to get a temporary line put in from the box, but all the reps won't give me yes for an answer. Any suggestions?

·
Linux > All
1,679 Posts
I highly doubt they would put out the expense of a new line if its only for a temporary thing. If they are like any other company they will probably expect a contract for x amount of time + a fee for the installation. My only suggestion is don't hold your breath on this one. There isn't any money in it for them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Load balancing isnt what you want if you're trying to aggregate 2 connections (EX: 2x 10Mbps = 20Mbps). You obviously need to internet connections but you will also need a server that will bond the links

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
This thread is pretty pointless if you could solve this all by a simple phone call to Charter, and if they dont give you a definite answer, ask to talk to a supervisor

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerdude74 View Post

No, but I'm trying to think of what I can do to increase bandwidth for the lan.
Your pretty much at a loss then if you cant pay for another line to anywhere...

Make sure everyone turns all the extra crap on their pc's off or set pfsense to block most traffic to keep the line free?

and yes dsl can load balance, you just need to set it up right via pfSense as you mentioned!
thumb.gif

EDIT: contact the companys pr/marketing team, a nice little lan run could be a earner for them via publicity, plus they can also use the line install at a later date, or share the line install cost between you and your buddies?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFedora View Post

Wait, do you need more LAN bandwidth on your local network or more WAN bandwidth? How many users are you going to have at this LAN?
We're counting on between 40 and 50.

We have 5mbps now, but could possibly have 20, or 100, depending on if this works. We're going to run a LoL tourney, 5v5, so internet is needed. We also plan on doing a live feed. All the info is here. KNFE Gaming

1 - 15 of 15 Posts