Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to thank this forum and everyone because I always seem to get some good answers here.

Anyhoo, my problem is that I am trying to adjust my cpu speed through my bios, but it seems to be locked. I've contacted the motherboard manufacturer, ECS, but they just said that it's not their problem. So...

There are overclocking features in my bios - cpu frequency, ram timings, voltages, etc. Now, I realized everything works fine except for the cpu frequency. When I adjust the speed, nothing is happening.
A weird thing is that I noticed that after I installed the AMD processor drivers, my cpu goes from the stock 2.2ghz to 2.3 if i have my bios set on performance settings.

However, I think this is not from a cpu bus adjustment, but because the driver also makes the multiplier go from 10.5 to 11. Without the drivers installed, the cpu runs at 2.2 no matter what.
Confusing.

This leads me to think that the speed may be locked by some sort of driver or something in my system. Has anyone else dealt with this?

I'm trying to fix this because when I was benchmarking with Fear, I realized the limiting regeant to my performance is my cpu. That made me sad. Why get a 7800gt if I can't let em' loose? Sigh. Also, people report crazy overclocks on their San Diegos, so it'd just be fun to get an extra 500mhz with my stock fan

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Your motherboard may have a locked bios that doesnt alow you to have any overclock options such as changing the Multiplier on your CPU and bus speeds and such..However this can be fixed by flashing ( Updating ) your bios to the latest version for your board.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the speed up a bit with ntune...apparently, my cpu can only be controlled through software...any suggestions for a better program?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Having a SanDiego 3700+ you should consider a more OC friendly MB to get to true potential of that CPU OCed

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Those Elite mobo,s are very bottom shelf for the system you have a good ASUS or DFI board would bring you a much higher o/c

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for the advice.

i indeed did get this stuff working through software overclocking. about the motherboard...how much difference will it make? in what ways would a motherboard limit the overclocking ability? i'm able to get about 400 extra mhz, stable. however, i feel like the memory is perhaps holding me back at that point? i really do need the extra power too. when playing fear, i realized that if i have the cpu performance settings on low, i can run graphics at max. the cpu is limiting everything
. so sad. what do you think i could do to squeeze out a little more?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
That's odd. The 3700+ is a great CPU, especialy when OCed, it should not be bottlenecking that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts