Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious in bios under the same place where i can change my fsb i have an option that says
pci/dimm clock and the only options are auto/disable would disabling this be the same as locking my agp bus to 33/66 as i know this is what im supposed to do but so far i thought my mobo didnt have that option

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Depending on the motherboard or system this option may do different things.

It is possible and fairly likely that this may lock your AGP clock to ~66.6MHz and your memory at a set speed.

Could you post a screenshot of your BIOS if possible so I can see the other avaliable options.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skillz

pci/dimm clock and the only options are auto/disable would disabling this be the same as locking my agp bus to 33/66

No, this setting has no locking functionality. Rather the "Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clock"s option is used to set whether the clock of an unused PCI/DIMM slot will be disabled to reduce electromagnetic interference.

Thus, if you have all slots filled you should set to enable and if you have empty slots you should set to disable.

R

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DARN o well too bad i need a new mobo anyways
thanks ropey

Quote:

Depending on the motherboard or system this option may do different things.

It is possible and fairly likely that this may lock your AGP clock to ~66.6MHz and your memory at a set speed.

Could you post a screenshot of your BIOS if possible so I can see the other avaliable options.

thanks for the help but that was my only hope for locking agp/pci bus unfortunatly when i bought my pc i had no idea about overclocking and obviously didnt do my research ...DOH!!
thank for the help

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
I would first of all try this option as it is the exact same option as I have on one of my Abit boards here and that option does indeed lock the AGP and PCI clocks

However on my board they are locked at 66/33MHz so slightly out of the standard locking range. However as they are within 5% I am not worried.
The chance is fair as most boards have different ways so saying "lock AGP/PCI clocks at set frequencies".

If however this option does not allow you to lock your frequencies you will be limited in your ability to overclock your computer system. As you most likely know without these locks implemented the AGP and PCI clocks will increase in conjunction to the increase in the system bus speed.
The recommended limits that you should go to without causing physical damage to the computer hardware for these locks are:
72MHz for the AGP clock and 37MHz for the PCI clock. Exceeding these limits is not recommended and may cause physical damage to hardware connected to these interfaces.
You can exceed these frequencies in certain conditions depending on the hardware that is connected to the interfaces.

Recommendations if that option does not lock the clocks:
  • Purchase a motherboard with PCI-E/AGP/PCI locks implemented
  • Increase your FSB until you aproach that limit then stop

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, is there a way to check my agp/pci outside of bios as i cant find anything in there that will tell me
so that if i cant lock then at least i dont exceed the 73/37

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
You can use ClockGen to read your AGP and PCI clock speeds, if it supports your board

Please Note: The readings taken from ClockGen are not always accurate depending on the hardware configuration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts